PDA

View Full Version : 30-150 TL-PB Group Buy Mold, Part II

Maven
07-14-2007, 09:23 AM
All, As I had another 6 cav. group buy mold on hand, I used the camming lever from it to allow me to test the 30-150 mold. While it cast well enough (700 deg.F -750deg. F), there were still too many rejects. I then got the bright idea of using a .30cal. bore phosphor bronze brush spun by hand for 15 turns in each cavity to remove any burrs and dry graphite spray* and to polish them too. I'm happy to say it worked. After smoking the mold with wooden matches, the bullets fell out with little coaxing + defects have been significantly reduced. I also used a file to put a slight bevel on the mold halves for improved venting. I also discovered that sizing them to .311" in my Ly. #450** did a much better job than the Lee .311" push-through die. I'm thinking of using 14gr. of Blue Dot with them: sized v. unsized and will test them as soon as I can find the right rotor for my powder measure. Btw, the CB's measure ~.315" - .316" at the base, which means the case necks will need to be expanded in order to seat the unsized ones.

*This is the 3rd mold that didn't respond well to dry graphite spray (NAPA dgf 123). Come to think of it, all 3 were aluminum.

**I used a nose punch that Buckshot made, but the one for Ly. #31141/#311041 will also work.