PDA

View Full Version : BP Powder Measure ?

DeadWoodDan
01-20-2013, 10:04 PM
Have been on the look out for a used one. Do i need one with a metal hopper or will any regular powder measure work? Lots of used Lyman 55 on ebay.

Thanks
DWD

mehavey
01-20-2013, 10:54 PM
If you can't get a Harrells ($$$$) or an MVA B&M clone ($$$+∆t∆t), the Lyman 55 ought to be just fine.

post: I've seen some convincing evidence that BP is insensitive to common static electrical spark.
http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/sparks/sparks.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5Z5yAeO3dw

Call me paranoid, however, and stick to brass/aluminum

sharpsguy
01-21-2013, 12:44 AM
The Lyman 55 IS just fine. I have six of them set up and working loading black powder. A couple of them have been in use for over 20 years with no problems.

'74 sharps
01-21-2013, 06:59 AM
I tried a Lyman BP 55 measure, and could not get consistent drops. Changing weights was a pain as there are three sliding bars to adjust. Maybe I didn't give it enough time to learn the operation; however, the turn off to me is the "knocker" which has to be used every time. I bought a used Belding & Mull with the magnum non micrometer charge tube off ebay for $80. I absolutely love it. Super accurate and the easiest to change charges I have ever seen. In their instructions, Belding & Mull states NOT to beat on the measure "The B & M measure does not require and should not be pounded or hammered". Another advantage of this measure is the fact that the tube is filled from a secondary chamber, and powder height in the reservoir has zero impact on the weight of the powder going into the charge tube.

Don McDowell
01-21-2013, 10:31 AM
The Lyman 55 as originally brought out, had the markings on the drum calibrated to drop the specified charge of black powder. Lawyered up it has the aluminum tube, which is a good thing as it holds the better end of a pound of powder and that's only good for 100 45-70's.
Those 55's work just fine, just need to develope a consistant technigue to running it, and the drop tube it has can be a very helpful addition and step saver.

MikeS
01-21-2013, 10:58 AM
I have an old B&M measure I got cheap on ebay because it didn't have the adjustable measure part. I bought some fixed BP measures that fit in it perfectly, and one measures 60gr. and the other 50gr. They were out of stock on any of the larger ones, I want to get a 70gr one, as I don't think I would need any others loading for a 45-70.

Ed in North Texas
01-24-2013, 08:20 AM
If you have any concern about the Lyman's plastic reservoir, find one of the older 55s with the threaded connection. IIRC Buffalo Arms sells a copper tube which fits, and it has a larger capacity too. Might even be a standard plumbing size copper pipe, don't remember right now.

Ed

Larry Gibson
01-24-2013, 11:41 AM
+another that uses a Lyman 55 (was made to use BP as mentioned). The charges drop extremely consistent with 3 - 4 knocks of the knocker. The knocker settles the powder consistently in the drum if use correctly; that's what it is there for. Just keep the drum clean and dry between the rotor and body as the BP dust will collect moisture and rust if you let it.

Larry Gibson

Chicken Thief
01-24-2013, 11:54 AM
Have a Lee Perfect Powder Measure that has dropped over 100lbs of BP in the past 15+yrs.
All plastic and no bull, but that's just me.

Dan Cash
01-24-2013, 12:36 PM
I have several 55s. They don't need knocking unless you have clumpy powder and then you have other problems. If yo uhave trouble adjusting one, you will have trouble with any measuring device. The measure was designed for BP.

'74 sharps
01-24-2013, 08:08 PM
I have several 55s. They don't need knocking unless you have clumpy powder and then you have other problems. If yo uhave trouble adjusting one, you will have trouble with any measuring device. The measure was designed for BP.

Actually, only the 55 was problematic in repeatability for me. I like to keep the loading process simple with consistent results.

OD#3
01-24-2013, 10:42 PM
You'd laugh if you saw mine. I took the plastic reservoir cylinder off one of my Dillon powder measures and replaced it with an aluminum cylinder I made by cutting the bottom off of an old aluminum camping bottle originally used for camping stove white gasoline. It was a friction fit onto the body of the Dillon measure, and I secured it in place with tape. Despite its amateurish jury-rigged appearance, it throws very consistent charges.

Larry Gibson
01-25-2013, 11:33 AM
Actually, only the 55 was problematic in repeatability for me. I like to keep the loading process simple with consistent results.

That's where the proper and consistent use of the knocker comes in. I have 3 Lyman 55s and all work excellently. Been using the 55 since '68, tried other throwers but always went back to the 55.

Larry Gibson

bigted
01-26-2013, 05:15 PM
black powder...white powder...grey powder...filler...ect ect ect. i load em all with my system and have NEVER had any problems with the plastic. ive loaded from 4 grains to 145 grains with this system and all were very consistant and reliable if i do my part.

this system??? lee dippers !!! they do it all and then some. i have a lyman and rcbs and find that for my style loading these dippers do a super job. never a problem with cleanup...nor powdr changes. ive never had to replace any and when i found out around 30 years ago the simple system i purchased another set and cut them in half for the odd grainage i desired to play with.

yep the dip-n-dribble works very well and NO complications therewith....oh yea...n cheap to boot!!! i feel that i have a hands on system that allows me the satisfaction of KNOWING for sure that every charge is as accurate as my powder scale is capable of weighing...every time with any powder and any charge i desire. every re-loader should have a set around for the small number experimental charges if nothing else.

these in addition to a couple custom dippers ive made ...these are about all i use anymore even with the two drum type powdermeassures and the electronic auto-load dispenser.

TXGunNut
01-27-2013, 01:07 AM
+1 on the dip-n-dribble, as our friend in the frozen north calls it. Did it for many years on SP rifle loads. With BP pistol loads I simply dip, close enough for the girls I go with. With smokeless rifle loads I keep it simple too, my RCBS Chargemaster has a pan full of precisely measured powder as soon as I finish seating the previous boolit. I have an old RCBS drum-type measure around here somewhere, seems I might have even used it in the last few years......

mazo kid
01-27-2013, 03:44 PM
I have an old B&M measure I got cheap on ebay because it didn't have the adjustable measure part. I bought some fixed BP measures that fit in it perfectly, and one measures 60gr. and the other 50gr. They were out of stock on any of the larger ones, I want to get a 70gr one, as I don't think I would need any others loading for a 45-70.

I have both the original 55 and the "black powder" measures; about the only difference, other than hoppers, is the BP one has a baffle. I also have 3 of the B&M measures; the Tedd Cash adjustable powder measures for muzzleloaders work just fine.

ELFEGO BACA
01-28-2013, 04:04 AM
My Lyman was originally purchased for smokeless powder but when i started BPCR shooting it became my measure to use. It has a plastic reservoir. Swiss in Schultzen black powder comes in plastic bottles. No problems.

o6Patient
02-01-2013, 03:04 PM
The whole Idea of having a metal hopper for black powder measures is for the brass
hopper to take the place of the graphite that coats smokeless powder and that is to
bleed off a static charge that could possibly build up.
I have found in my house if the humidity approaches 30% or so and greater there
really isn't much static anyway. (At 15~20% or lower whoo zap zap big time

o6Patient
02-01-2013, 03:18 PM
My Lyman was originally purchased for smokeless powder but when i started BPCR shooting it became my measure to use. It has a plastic reservoir. Swiss in Schultzen black powder comes in plastic bottles. No problems.

Not all plastics are created equal, there is probably a carbon content in these containers..
not so in a polycarbonate hopper. (to my knowledge)

joec
02-01-2013, 04:26 PM
I've used the lee dippers and the on press Lee Powder measure with a lot of BP. I simply figure out using the dipper how much powder that will fill the case and when the bullet is pressed it will compress the powder about 1/8" or so. Once I know the CC amount it is easy to find the double disk combination to match it CC. With rifle rounds like a 45-70 and shot shells I use a double dipper combination with a drop tube. The 45-70 I use the bullet to compress as I do with my pistol and 45 Colt rifle rounds however the shot gun I figure out something close to the grains I need followed by wads etc.

John Boy
02-01-2013, 06:17 PM
Have a Lee Perfect Powder Measure that has dropped over 100lbs of BP in the past 15+yrs.
All plastic and no bull, but that's just me. Add me to the Lee Perfect Powder Measure User List. And I have Lyman #5, #55, B&M and O'Haus. The Lee is my go to charger

Mike Brooks
02-01-2013, 07:06 PM
I have 3 #55's . They work fine for me, smokless or black.

salpal48
02-11-2013, 03:00 PM
In the past 40 years I,v only used Lyman 55's for all my reloading . 2 were purchased new 5 used. I loaded black and smokeless . There original manual states that both can be used . I noticed on some of my older ones That the plastic tube vary from years of manufacture . Some of mine that were from 1950's the plastic tube is Pitted on the inside . when I questioned the former owners. they all loaded with Black. I recently purchased new tubes that were not Threaded . and I heated then to Thread. The material on the new tubes seems to be a modern polypropylene rather than the old Hard rigid one. Metering and powder drop shows no different but complete cleaning is a must with Black and substitutes .
This is only my opinion and experience

GOPHER SLAYER
02-11-2013, 08:18 PM
Several years ago, I bought some reloading gear in a yard sale. The powder measure the man used was an old CH made of aluminum. I use it for all my 45.70 black powder loads. It is very consistant. I have five #55 measures but to me they require too much fiddling around with the adjusment knobs. I also have two B&M but dislike the transfer system from measure to tube to case. I once had a chance to buy a#5 Ideal made of cast iron for five bucks but it was missing the lid so like a fool I passed.

John in PA
02-14-2013, 10:39 PM
I'm a guy that appreciates a bargain, but I also enjoy using fine tools for work that I do repeatedly. If you plan to load a lot of black powder cartridges, I'd get either a used B&M, or, for the finest measure made today, IMHO, the MVA measure is truly a thing of beauty, both in its design and in quality of manufacture. If you intend to load BP for years to come, the MVA will continue to be a delight. OTOH, if you just want to load BP now and then, grab pretty much any measure that's accurate. It will serve you just fine, and with safety if you follow basic rules. Your choice. (No personal interest in MVA, have reloaded for 35 years, and have owned RCBS, original Ideal #6, B&M, and Lee. Have used them all, and 2 years ago I treated myself to the MVA. That's all I'll be using for BP from now on. YMMV)

walkswithsticks
02-21-2013, 01:26 PM
I recently got a NOS B & M in a box of stuff. I was going to sell it to help offset the cost of what I wanted.
Several here mentioned using one. Is it a good application for BP, or should I just sell it?