PDA

View Full Version : Ok so I acquired this beast of a press for free today!

kweidner
01-20-2013, 08:10 PM
Herter model super 0. Has an adapter for RCBS shellholders. Was thinking abut using it to draw rimfire jackets in. Should I even mount it or just stick to my Rockchucker. Man the size of the ram is ridiculous. What do you know about it? Any good for swaging/ drawing?59078. Thinking about setting it up just for drawing spent rimfires. Those rims are pretty tough with the Rockchucker.

LUBEDUDE
01-20-2013, 08:18 PM
Man that is Awesome!

Why don't you do the Pepsi Challenge? Let us know which one does it best.

Of course the Beef is on the Herters side, but the compound linkage is on the RC side.

I sure would like to know for sure.

Congrats!

r1kk1
01-20-2013, 08:20 PM
Holy ****! What a beaut!

r1kk1

kweidner
01-20-2013, 08:42 PM
I was thinking with the herters being so beefy i might put a cheater handle on it for drawing. Still plan on using RC for core seating and point forming my .224 stuff. I bet this thing weighs 50 pounds. I will weigh it when I go turn my tumbler off.

edit. it weighs 35#

Pressman
01-20-2013, 09:49 PM
There are two settings for the pivot block to increase leverage for swaging. There are roller bearings on the main pivot pins.
Moving the pivot pin to a different hole will give a lot more power with a shorter ram travel. To understand how it all works you need the directions. PM me with your email and I will send them along.
The Model O Super is the top of the Herter's line and brings decent money on eBay.
Ken

kweidner
01-20-2013, 10:43 PM
thanks pressman. pm incoming.

John Allen
01-20-2013, 10:47 PM
You should use it for crushing soda cans!

gwpercle
01-21-2013, 09:01 PM
Soda cans ? It looks like it would crush a small car ! I miss Herters , they made some neat stuff.

StratsMan
01-21-2013, 09:24 PM
I think this press is wholly inadequate for your needs. Buy a proper swaging press and send the Super-O to me. I'll even pay the freight....

StratsMan

oldtoolsniper
01-21-2013, 10:43 PM
I have a number three Herters press I swage with. It has a four foot cheater bar installed on it. The handle is the same as yours. I ground it round and added two set screws tapped into the pipe (cheater bar) to hold it to the ground round handle. I have broke one handle, but my bench was tipping and it weighs close to 1000lbs. I have lead shot piled on the bottom shelf. I don't have your model but all of mine the 3,3M,U3 and the 234 turret all use the same handle. I have extras if I break another. Look close on the right, long blue handle with red end by ceiling.

xs11jack
01-22-2013, 03:30 AM
Good Lord, with that lever you could crush beer cans, with lead in them and out the other end would come 82 38 cal. wadcutters, all lubed and gas checked!!! I have 2 Herter's C presses one so old it doesn't have the wings. I love their stuff, I grab all I can afford.
Jack

kweidner
01-22-2013, 04:58 PM
little update. built a bench for it. I put 600 lbs of xray lead on bottom shelf to hold things secure. The pepsi challenge (lol) told me that set up with the short swaging stroke this thing is silk smooth derimming and drawing .22 rimfire cases. Feels like your neck sizing .223 brass. I would not want to have my finger caught between ram and die. Would call for a trip to the emergency room. that's if theres anything left of your finger.

No need for a cheater bar with the different pin settings for leverage. I could imagine some of the dedicated swaging presses have even more power but I currently have no need for them. I derimmed 200 rf cases this am in about an hour. No hand bruising like I get from the rock chucker. It was just easy. I will still use the RC for core seating and point forming. As soon as my wallet is re-supplied I will start purchasing some more swaging stuff. I am going to keep Bryan really busy. I am currently only doing .224 currently but i suspect thats going to change.

o6Patient
01-23-2013, 02:49 PM
She's a beaut, I don't suppose the handle will park in the up position does it?

o6Patient
01-23-2013, 02:55 PM
There's one on 'de bay right now with a day and a half left bid up over $157 bucks with 26 some odd for
shipping.. so I guess free was a pretty reasonable price!:mrgreen:

kweidner
01-23-2013, 05:10 PM
She's a beaut, I don't suppose the handle will park in the up position does it?

No won't park there but nothing a small bungee won't handle when it's not in use.

GOPHER SLAYER
01-23-2013, 09:40 PM
I got these Herter's shell holders last year but the family I bought the gear from could't find the press.

oldtoolsniper
01-23-2013, 09:46 PM
Those shell holders need a home on my bench with all my Herters presses.

gwpercle
01-24-2013, 01:45 PM
WOW...Herters made 28 different shell holders and your set has 25 of them. They are numbered 1 through 28, which 3 are you missing ?
gary

oldtoolsniper
01-24-2013, 01:47 PM
Shotgun ones