PDA

View Full Version : What the ?????? Bullet stuck. Strange ending.

DeanWinchester
01-20-2013, 06:09 PM
So, I wanted to slug the bore of this Finnish Mosin I have. I tried once a few weeks ago and got a bullet stuck. Thankfully it was close to the muzzle and I drilled the core out and chipped the rest away with a dentist pick.

I decided to try again today. Only this time, I figured I'd do it like I have done in the past, I loaded an unsized bullet over 3.0g of bullseye and shoot it into a huge block of foam rubber I have. It'll catch the bullet and not deform it. This has worked in the past so....
Well, I don't have any 7,62x53 brass yet so I pulled the bullet from a 7,62x54R Wolf berdan brass and dropped in the powder and I seated the bullet just deep enough to chamber. I did smear a little lube in the grooves with my finger too BTW. Well, thanks Wolf, for making garbage. The primer was weak and it did not go off as it should, instead, it lodged itself about an inch past the throat.

I used a 1/4 steel rod but could NOT budge it. SO, I hit it with a bigger hammer and succeeded in driving the rod THROUGH the bullet half ways. I soaked it in a mix of H2O2 and lemon juice to try to soften up the lead. I braced the barreled action in a vice and 2x4's. With a 5 pound hammer I gave it one massive whack and look what popped out!!! I put the same type of bullet I started with next to it for comparison. I managed to swage it to twice it's original length!!!!

All's well that ends well I guess. I have a perfect engraving of the bore and groove BTW.

THat first shorter piece has a perfect 1/4 inch hole through it!

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd371/Reloadingfool/photo-16.jpg

Blammer
01-20-2013, 06:53 PM
Why on earth would you use such a HUGE piece of lead to slug your barrel?

I use the smallest one I have, and lots of oil, prevents stuff like that from happening.

DeanWinchester
01-20-2013, 06:57 PM
Never had an issue before. Ive done a half dozen with no problems. Live and learn.

cbrick
01-20-2013, 07:09 PM
Yep Oil, it's kinda slippery stuff. I oil a clean bore and oil the slug also. If oil changes the diameter of the slug it would only be a tenth of a thousands or less so insignificant.

How did the bore do after a drill bit and a steel rod with a big hammer was used inside it?

Go slow, if the slug your using doesn't start reasonably easily something is wrong. It's not something that takes muscle or brute force.

Rick

DeanWinchester
01-20-2013, 08:10 PM
I kept masking take on the steel rod so it didn't hurt anything.

MT Gianni
01-21-2013, 12:11 AM
I always invert a gas check over the rod to have a full diameter push on the slug.

1Shirt
01-21-2013, 12:54 PM
To each his own I guess. I have never slugged a bbl. Instead, I just try different sizes of boolits until I get accuracy. No chance of dinging up a bbl that way.
1Shirt!

rond
01-21-2013, 04:34 PM
I don't think that this is Wolf's fault.