PDA

View Full Version : K31 NOE Range Report (Pics & Data)

nitrohuck
01-20-2013, 04:08 PM
So I am a novice reloader, let alone CB shooter, but thanks to some members here I have gotten sample cast boolits to try out before spending the $100 for an NOE mold.

My "first" trip to the range yielded no results worth posting, it was my first time even reloading rifle rounds, so I had boolits flying all over the place to say the least... Didn't even record the data, just left the range disheartened.

The second time around, I took a lot more time and energy and focused it on my case prep, and the results certainly began to show, although I have a ways to go I think.

CASES: Prvi Brass (Trimmed to 2.179")

BOOLIT: NOE K-31 Mold, Gas Checked, Sized @ .309"

CHARGE: 18-20 grains, Alliant 2400

Primer: CCI #200 Large Rifle

OAL: 2.890"

Right off the bat the results were promising with 18.0gr of 2400:

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i61/nitrohuck/18gr-24002_zps6a2ad3c0.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i61/nitrohuck/18gr-2400_zpsc6ccb181.jpg

18.5 & 19.0gr were not very promising:

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i61/nitrohuck/185gr-2400_zpsb459cb2a.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i61/nitrohuck/19gr-2400_zps6f492377.jpg

Then I really was unsure what to make of the 20.0gr load, the first two shots were god awful! I figured "yep, this one is certainly a no go," and then the last three shots all went right on top of one another, so maybe I need to mess with this more...

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i61/nitrohuck/20gr-2400_zps080798c5.jpg

I also have a confession to make, I cheated and used a scope with the clamp on mount... I did this because I wanted to take some shooter error out of the equation, ultimately I really want to just use iron sights, but before I do that I want to find a load that I KNOW will be reliable. The targets posted above probably reflect my reloading skills much moreso than my shooting skills,

I have a few questions:

1. Does it make sense that both 20.0gr and 18.0gr are potential sweet spots? In other words, can a powder produce good results in more charges than just one? Noob question I am sure,

2. For my 20.0gr spread, would those two fliers (one of which was completely off the target horizontally, yet had no vertical stringing) probably be due to errors on the reloading bench? Or on the shooting bench? I felt confident on all five shots, and that spread just seems to wide to blame the rifle

3. Can Reloader 17 powder be used to push CB's out of a K31? I have purchased some since I've read it is practically identical to the GP-11 powder, but intend to use it for FMJ rounds, but would use it also for higher velocity CB loads if it sounds like it might work...

Thanks for readin! Will continue to update this as this is very much an ongoing project for a nub like me :p

~Nitro

madsenshooter
01-21-2013, 07:48 PM
My guess would be 20 is too much. I get the same type of groups with my AR when the pressure is too high. Some go where you're aiming, some go elsewhere. You can always try it again to make sure. Yes, RL17 will push cast boolits. 38gr should give you close to 2000fps at a very mild pressure. Watch each shot next time, see if the point of impact is moving left to right or right to left, like you did on the bottom target. Loosening the front band can help with horizontal stringing. Stocks warp as they dry over the years. I think I read on one of the Swiss rifle forums that they're considering making some new stocks for that reason. The barrel channel on my K31 warped enough that it is split at the very end. A fully tight band puts pressure on the left side of the barrel. Loosening the band just a little bit takes that pressure off.

Buzzard II
01-21-2013, 09:02 PM
Ordered my NOE K31 mold today! Thanks very much AL!
Bob

nitrohuck
01-21-2013, 09:08 PM

My case heads are also getting sooty, is this normal? This is consistent through all powder charges, even the lowest charge of 16.0g on my previous range trip

runfiverun
01-22-2013, 04:07 PM
yep that's pretty normal...
tighten up your boolit selection for the 20 gr load and try it again.
i shoot around 18 grs of 2400 in my 31's also under a very similar boolit.
i have found that powder orientation will make a difference in many rifles when using 2400 in the bigger cases.

nitrohuck
01-22-2013, 04:48 PM
yep that's pretty normal...
tighten up your boolit selection for the 20 gr load and try it again.
i shoot around 18 grs of 2400 in my 31's also under a very similar boolit.
i have found that powder orientation will make a difference in many rifles when using 2400 in the bigger cases.

I thought that 2400 wasn't position sensitive? Should I be tipping my rifle back before each shot? Luckily, at my range I don't have to worry about letting a round off and it going somewhere dangerous if arced, it ain't hittin anything but forest, but preferably I'd like to not be tipping my rifle before each shot...

Buckshot
01-25-2013, 04:35 AM
............All powders are position sensitive. Some are just less so then others. If you tip the muzzle up for each shot before firing you might be very surprised. I have lots of examples of this, but mainly by using a dacron filler rather then tilting the muzzle up each time.

http://www.fototime.com/B17A3C245143E68/standard.jpg

.............Buckshot

1Shirt
02-03-2013, 03:17 PM
As usual agree with Buckshot. I use dac fill with 2400 in all my cast rifle loads-beats tipping rifle, and is more consistant. Just what I do, and am not advocating it for others. I weigh all finished cases where the powder charge is less than 1/2 the case cap with the powder to the neck. It eliminates the possibility of double charges. I try to keep the dac fill as consistant as possible, and use just a minimum amount to keep the powder to the rear.
1Shirt!

Old Iron Sights
02-07-2013, 09:12 PM
I would also suggest working up your loads in .2 grain increments. If your scale is that sensitive, you'd be surprised what a difference .2 makes. 18.4 in my K31 with the Lee 312-155 sized 309 is a tack driver at 100 yds.

WineMan
02-07-2013, 11:08 PM
You might want to watch the trim to length. K31's have short throats but long chambers if that makes sense. Consistent is good but you may not want to go back to "factory" length. A chamber cast would give you the correct length.

Dave

35 Whelen
02-10-2013, 06:17 AM
I've not usd 2400 in any of my 7.5's, but have in quite a few '06's. Like someone else said, reduce your charge a tad. I'd start out around the 14 gr. range and work up.

I've shot quite a lot of the NOE bullets through my K-31's, mostly in High Power competition. I'd strongly suggest you give a try the tried and true 13.0 grs. of Red Dot:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Targets/NOEK31180edit-1.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Targets/NOEK311801edit-1.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Targets/K31NOEBullet.jpg

Another load I used a lot is 14.0 grs. of AA#7:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Targets/K31NOEBullet-1.jpg

Good luck and keep us posted!

35W

nitrohuck
02-10-2013, 01:42 PM
Thanks for all that info whelen!

So for high power matches you use AA7 and Red Dot... Luckily I have AA7 lying around as I tried it in 9mm Mak for awhile, will load up some 14gr rounds soon with that, and perhaps ill snag some Red Dot when I get a chance,

On another note I had a blast shooting full power loads out of the rifle for the first time about three days ago... The GP-11 really is a beautiful round, with iron sights and less than a years experience shootin I was able to group 10 shots in 3" and my handloads using RE17 also got 3",

Cat wait to get the cast rounds figured out!

35 Whelen
02-10-2013, 01:53 PM
I bought 8 lbs. of AA#7 at a gun show only because it was REALLY cheap ($85) and on a whim tried it in the 7.5 Swiss. Bingo! I don't really use it in anything else. The beauty of this powder is it meters wonderfully. It probably produces loads no more accurate than Red Dot, but when loading 100 rounds at a time for a match, it's nice to use a powder that doesn't require every charge to be weighed.

Yes, the GP-11 is amazing stuff in that it is incredibly accurate.

35W

nitrohuck
02-10-2013, 03:39 PM
I bought 8 lbs. of AA#7 at a gun show only because it was REALLY cheap ($85) and on a whim tried it in the 7.5 Swiss. Bingo! I don't really use it in anything else. The beauty of this powder is it meters wonderfully. It probably produces loads no more accurate than Red Dot, but when loading 100 rounds at a time for a match, it's nice to use a powder that doesn't require every charge to be weighed.

Yes, the GP-11 is amazing stuff in that it is incredibly accurate.

35W

Yeah, I've noticed it metered well for handgun ammo when I was loading it, even with my setup, the Lee auto disk dispenser, it was quite accurate with each charge... since it really didn't tickle my fancy for 9mm Mak at all, I hope I'll be able to put it to good use in the 7.5 Swiss!

Would this be accurate out to 200 or 300 yards you think? I am not even ready to shoot groups at that distance yet, but hope to in the future

35 Whelen
02-10-2013, 05:10 PM
I actually have shot the NOE load at 200 yds. I have a 22" diameter metal gong adjacent to my shooting bench. I welded scoring rings on it and painted it to simulate the 200 yd. target that's used in offhand in X-Course High Power. It's pretty much like shooting at 100 yds. in that the bullet hits where ever the sights are when the rifle goes off. The only difference is the wind plays a much larger role at 200 yds. Haven't tried it a 300 though. I shot a couple of groups at 200 yds. once, prone, but they weren't all that impressive as there was a pretty good breeze blowing...6" or so groups.

35W

nitrohuck
02-12-2013, 10:20 PM
Well, given Whelen's success with 14.0g of AA#7 I figured I would try it out for myself...

Loaded up some rounds and sent them down range at 50yrd, I probably could have tried a bit harder accuracy-wise, didn't really do my part but the boolits clustered great for a half assed group attempt.

first five made a vertical line (most likely me as I am still trying to get used to 6 o'clock hold) and then I haphazardly put 15 into a decent little cluster after adjusting sights. Had a blast shooting clays at 100yrds with way too much ease, this certainly may be my go-to plinking round from now on!

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i61/nitrohuck/1e69310f-f554-4405-9ee1-1978fa3b2fd2_zpse4b917f1.jpg

35 Whelen
02-13-2013, 12:41 AM
That's a nice group!! Keep it up and keep us posted!

I could never get used to a 6 o'clock hold, try as I might. I mounted an receiver sight on the rifle and used a center hold with the issues front sight and actually did pretty good, but I finally wedged a Lyman 17 globe sight between the front sight ears in used an aperture insert. Heavenly bliss!! SO much easier to shoot with!!

35W