PDA

View Full Version : Lee resizing die question

kingemandigger
01-20-2013, 03:12 PM
I recently set up my lee challenger press and wanted to test the lee decapping and resizing die on some new brass before I primed it. I have new starline 45 colt cases and lee resizing lube. I tightened the die to where it was just touching the shellholder. after sending one through the die, I noticed that it sized the case a little small. there is a slight bulge at the base and to test the size, I tried to put the lee case trimming measuring rod through the case, It didn't fit. Now I know that new cases should come at right width to begin with. Also, I will not be able to trim cases after depriming them Does anyone have any suggestions, is this normal, etc. I certainly dont like anythin less than precision for reloading

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
01-20-2013, 07:22 PM
Welcome aboard the forum!

Just this Ol'Coot's opinion, and bare in mind I, in most cases, am NOT a LEE fan.

However, your situation doesn't sound a long ways from normal with the way your sizing die is adjusted.

However, if it were me, I would back the die up a turn or two and not size to that degree unless I had to to get my sized case to rechamber in the same firearm in which they were last fired.

Now, it doesn't sound like you have completed the loading process, meaning you have not yet used the second die of your three die handgun set, which will put a slight flair in the case mouth and expand the neck slightly.

Adjust that die to give the minimum amount of flair which will still allow for easy seating of your bullets/boolits.

If using cast boolits, you may need a slight bit more flair to prevent the case mouth from shaving the sides of the boolit during seating. Still, use the smallest amount of cast mouth flair possible.

Now, it appears you have not advanced to reloading bottle neck cartridges, but if/when you do, beware that some manufactures instructions for setting up a full length sizing die, will very likely lead to short brass life. Yes, it will allow for you to reload bottle neck cartridges, but there is a better way.

By the way, in most cases, a "neck" sizing die is just a waste of hard earned money and simply not needed if your Full Length die is properly set up.

Same with a Lee, "factory Crimp Die" This is something that is seldom ever needed in most cases if your die set is properly set up.

And yes, I have bought and used both Neck sizing and Factory Crimp dies, and I'll solidly stand my earlier comments. Been there and done that for many years.

If you think that loading of bottle neck cartridges is in your future, I have a document addressing the subject of setting up full length dies for bottle neck cartridges, which quotes from a couple manufactures instructions and points out the reasons there just may be a much better way. I'll glady sent the info to anyone who sends me a P.M. with their personal "E" address.

As said earlier, just from your post, it doesn't sound like a major problem, but I would back off that sizing die a tad.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

billyb
01-20-2013, 07:28 PM
I have run to the problem with some case's. Some brands of brass are thicker than others. I take the trimer stem and chuck it in a drill and use a file to reduce to fit inside of the case.Hope this helps you. Bill

kingemandigger
01-20-2013, 09:07 PM
you know what, thats a great idea... If my rounds turn out ok in the end with the smaller case, I may just do that in the end.

EDG
01-20-2013, 09:56 PM
Your Lee trimmer is sized to work with cases that have been expanded. Try your expander die then try the trimmer. Lee expander plugs are not very long so watch out for the trimmer rod to hang up even after expanding.