PDA

View Full Version : NOE 225-55 gr FN and Freechex III

altheating
01-20-2013, 09:49 AM
Anyone using the NOE 225-55 boolit and making checks with the Freechex III ? If so what thickness is the material you are using? Do you see any difference between Freechex and checks you have purchased. (except cost)

Griz44mag
01-20-2013, 01:09 PM
I just made a batch of the 224 FREECHEX with the tool I got last week using the sample material Charlie sent with it.
I have not pressed any of them on yet.
I also made a batch using .010 copper roof foil. They look really good.
If you want to try a few of them before buying the tool, PM me an address and I'll send you some.

CWME
01-20-2013, 10:13 PM
I just got my freechex III a few weeks ago. I am using .092 flashing from Home Depot. I think the item # was 68314. It is silver on one side and gold colored on the other. I am running this through a low propane flame until the finish flashes off and the silver side turns gold like the back side. From there I lube the strip with some hornady case lube and punch out the checks. I have noticed that seating the check is a critical step. With the hornady I would snap them on and size, the freechex don't snap on so I seat them using the lyman GC seater then size in my Star. Just got my first freechexs down range this afternoon on the back of the NOE mx3-22 55gr. Looks good except from some fliers that I can't explain. I have a thread in group buy results.

JeffinNZ
01-21-2013, 04:30 AM
8-10 thou material for .22 checks I have found best.

DukeInFlorida
01-22-2013, 07:10 AM
I agree on the .008" or so material for the .22 gas checks. I am using a Charlie Darnall FreeChex III die set, and very old step type roof flashing aluminum I got from my dad's old basement. I'm using the aluminum as-is, the resultant chex punch out perfectly, and snap on the shanks tightly.

I've had mixed results using this same material for 30 caliber checks, and find that the .014 alumax roll material works better for that larger size. But for .22 caliber, the .008" aluminum step flashing is perfect.