PDA

View Full Version : Good 22 caliber molds

Bullwolf
01-20-2013, 01:06 AM
So I am finally going to bite the bullet (boolit?) and start casting for .223

I have been leaning towards using the Lyman 225415.

http://di1-1.shoppingshadow.com/images/pi/63/ac/96/125138970-260x260-0-0_lyman+lyman+2+cavity+225415+dc+mould+22+cal+55+g ra.jpg

http://images1.opticsplanet.com/365-240-ffffff/opplanet-lyman-rifle-bullet-mould-22-caliber-225415-2660415.jpg

I also considered the 225646 for a bit as well, but...
I decided to at least order (well back order since nothing is in stock anyplace) a 22415 DC instead.

I would be casting for older Mini-14 or AR15's. I picked up 1000 Lyman copper gas checks, and a .225 Lee Sizer kit as well. I was operating under the assumption that I should be looking for something in the 55 grain weight range, and that the heavier than 60+ grains boolits would not stabilize well in older twist barrels.

I wouldn't be adverse to purchasing a custom mould either. Perhaps there is one I am not aware of, or even overlooking. Maybe even a used mould if there was one available. I may be waiting a very long time until the Lyman 22415 is off back order. Should I be looking at steel mould in this tiny caliber to retain heat, or be thinking about a brass, or aluminum, or even a multi cavity version. (more than 2 anyways)

I really wish that Lee made a 6 cavity mold in this caliber, but I have seen pictures at least of 4 cavity Lyman .225 molds, so I know some are out there.

School me with any mould suggestions that I should be considering here gang.

Should I be looking at a gas check design, maybe something with 1 cavity hollow pointed, or should I be looking for a plain base check less boolit design perhaps for plinking.

Some advice from others who have been there, and already done it would be most welcome.

- Bullwolf

madsenshooter
01-20-2013, 01:31 AM
NOE has a couple 55gr styles in stock: http://noebulletmolds.com/orders/catalog/index.php?cPath=24&osCsid=kgvcs849d90d9aoo9k3q398ff3 I can't say anything about either. I have the truncated cone mold, but haven't cast with it yet. I have shot the 6mm version and it feeds well through my AR. Shoots reasonably well though I'm pushing it around 2600fps.

Iron molds retain their heat well. With my 6mm NOE mold, so little lead in such a big block (3 cavity) that quickly gives its heat up, I have to keep the mold on a hotplate set at medium and the temp of my alloy up higher than some like, but it makes very good bullets. If you're going to feed an AR cast, you'll want more than a single cavity. NOE brings the price down to the point that you're getting a new mold for what you'd pay on ebay for a used multi-cavity Lyman/Ideal.

Bob Wolfe

CWME
01-20-2013, 08:54 AM
The NOE copy of the RCBS 22-55 will be good for what you want to do. Looks like he has some 4 cav versions in stock. I just got the MX3 55gr in but have not got any down range.

This is the MX3 55gr

Larry Gibson
01-20-2013, 01:29 PM
I've been shoting cast in the .223 in bolt guns, SSs, ARs, Mini14s and a coupl others since '72. The 225415 was my 1st choice also. The barrel twists back then ranged from 14" in the SS, 12" in the bolt guns and 12 and 10" in the gas guns. The 225415 was/is serviceable for such although I never had very good results in the faster 7-9" twist gas guns. The best all around cast bullet I have used so far is the 225462 which is a Loverin design. I have the GB MiHec 22 NATO mould but have not yet had a chance to wring it out.

What twist barrels do your AR and Mini14 have? I assume by your post they are 12" twist for the AR and 10" twist for the Mini14? However, if they are the faster 7-9" twists then a better design cast bullet than the 225415 may give better results at velocities high enough to function the actions.

Larry Gibson

Jal5
01-20-2013, 10:32 PM
What about the NOE mold based on the RCBS? I haven't cast with it yet in 4 cavity design. Several posts here about it.

JIMinPHX
01-20-2013, 11:53 PM
I generally like the 225415, but I had an easier time getting the Bator to shoot well. The Bator can now be had in 6-cavity. It is made by Lee & sold by MidSouth as a special that they sometimes stock. It is out of stock now, but the sooner you get your name on the waiting list, the sooner you can get one. The price is certainly right. It is never hard to sell one of these once you have it. People are always looking for them.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0000622BATOR6
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0000622BATOR

Bullwolf
01-21-2013, 12:21 AM
Thank you so much for the link to NOE.

For some dumb reason, I just didn't think of looking there at all. I ordered a 4 cavity NOE version of the RCBS 22-055. It should arrive much sooner than the Lyman 225415 would have. It will also give me something to work with now, so I can jump right in and start casting the small stuff right away. This will be the first time that I have cast for anything smaller than 30 caliber.

From what I understand the older AR-15's have a 1 in 12 twist. That's what I plan on using. I don't have a recently manufactured upper, or a newer AR platform with a 1-9 or 1-7 twist. My older mini-14's (180 series) Should have a 1 in 10 twist. I hope the 55 grain RCBS 22-055 will stabilize OK at lower velocities with those twists. The target will quickly tell me if it doesn't I suppose.

I hope to start off with pistol powders, and eventually work my way up to a load that surpasses 22 LR velocities, checking accuracy as I go. Eventually, I want to work up a somewhat accurate load with a rifle powder, that is also capable of cycling the action.

I will probably start at 7.5 grains of Unique, and work my way up to 9.0 grains just to see how it shoots. I also plan on burning some 2400 as well. I think that 4198 may be a nice fit for a rifle powder in my application. Hopefully I can cycle the action, while still retaining something that resembles accuracy.

My default jacketed load for .223 has always been 24.0 grains of IMR 3031 behind a 55 grain spitzer, or other bulk FMJ.

I have read lots of cast boolit .223 posts, and Beagle's "Why Grown Men Cry" from castpics.net. I think I will be able to come up with something that's at least serviceable. If I end up having to cycle the action manually, but the load turns out to be real accurate... Well I can live with that too.

- Bullwolf

Larry Gibson
01-21-2013, 12:23 PM
"I hope the 55 grain RCBS 22-055 will stabilize OK at lower velocities with those twists."

Those 55 gr cast will stabilize just fine at low velocity in the 12 and 10" twists as they even do in 14" twists.

When you get arund to wanting a load to function the action start at 16 gr H4895 under that bullet. A 1/2 gr dacron filler will make it better. Work up in 1/2 gr increments until functioning is 100% (if it's not at 16 gr). Best accuracy probably will be at that point also. I usually use 18 - 19 gr H4895 with my 55 gr cast in 10 - 12" twist gas guns.

Larry Gibson

1Shirt
01-21-2013, 12:44 PM
Just a thought. If you are using it as a varm rifle, the lighter, shorter blts will probably stablize better! Agree with Larry regarding vol factor.
1Shirt!

benfred
01-21-2013, 01:02 PM
if your looking for used molds, i just bought one on ebay last week for around 27 bucks. also amazon is a good place to look to

JIMinPHX
01-21-2013, 10:58 PM
It's been my experience that the little .22s are more sensitive to minor defects than .30 cal boolits are. You really need to inspect them carefully if you want to get good accuracy. Also, if you are going to be feeding them from the magazine, you might want to make the boolits a little extra on the hard side, so that they don't get dinged up as much when chambering.

Blammer
01-21-2013, 11:21 PM
I have Gator gas checks in 22 cal, may want to stock up on a few. :)

Bullwolf
01-21-2013, 11:29 PM
I appreciate all the tips and suggestions guys!

Am definitely putting H4895 on my list of powders to try, thanks for that Larry.

The bulk of my lead supply is printing press type lead. (a mix of Lino & Mono type) I plan to cast the first batch from an alloy of Lino and WW lead and see how they turn out.

When I cast, I like to use a hot plate as a mold warmer, so that should help a bit as well. In my experience the type metals are a pretty forgiving alloy to cast with, so I think things will work out fine.

If I find the boolits are too small to visually inspect... I'll use a real bright light, and hold them under a magnifying glass to better help my ability to spot any little imperfections.

Looking forward to the new adventure already.

- Bullwolf

JIMinPHX
01-22-2013, 01:19 AM
The bulk of my lead supply is printing press type lead. (a mix of Lino & Mono type) I plan to cast the first batch from an alloy of Lino and WW lead and see how they turn out.

Good choice. You may wish to water drop them as well.

You're lucky to have a good stash of type metal.

MBuechle
01-23-2013, 11:57 PM
I'll second Larry's recomendation on H4895. I've been shooting the Mihec 22 NATO bullets in a 9 twist AR with good results. Bullets are cast of 95-3-2, water dropped. Started with 18 gr., cycled action flawlessly, groups a little larger than I'd hoped, no leading. Have some more loaded with dacron as he suggested, waiting for warmer weather to shoot.

Larry Gibson
01-24-2013, 11:32 AM
Both the lino/mono and COWWs will have a very high % of antimony; much more than is needed, especially if WQing them. If you want to soften the lino/mono and make it a bit more malleable add 10, 20 or 30% lead (a 70/30 lino/lead is a favorite alloy of mine for .22 cal cast bullets). For the WWs a much better alloy will result simply by adding 2% tin whch is then also very suitable for .22 cal cast bullets (most others also). Both alloys respond very well to HTing or WQing but I mostly use AC'd bullets aged for 7-10 days before use.

Larry Gibson

HDS
02-18-2013, 01:46 PM
I got monotype lead at home that I use for alloying with pure lead, that's harder than lino, at a guess I've been considering a 50/50 mix of the two to make for a dedicated 223 alloy.

Wilkie
02-20-2013, 02:01 AM
I've been using water dropped ww in the NOE 55 grain RCBS mold aged for at least a week with great results. The NOE mold is a work of art.