PDA

View Full Version : 375 Ruger: good cast bullet candidate?

AlanR
07-13-2007, 05:10 PM
For those in the know, would the 375 Ruger make for a good cast bullet cartridge?

Thanks,

Alan

BruceB
07-13-2007, 06:22 PM
AlanR, amigo;

Welcome to our cyber-home. Hang around and chew the fat, because there's sure plenty to talk about in this cast-bullet hobby.

The .375 Ruger? Legions of bullet-casters over the years since 1912 have reported fine results with the .375 H&H, so I certainly would expect equally-good results with the .375 Ruger. Pick a good bullet design to start with, size it at maybe .377" for openers, and load and shoot to your heart's content at ANY practical velocity you choose.

The new round definitely has more capacity than needed for most cast-bullet shooting, but so do most of the rifle cartridges we use and enjoy. The extreme example in my personal battery is the .416 Rigby, with over 120 grains of case capacity, which shoots beautifully for me with cast bullets, as does the slightly-less-extreme .404 Jeffery, which is a 100-grain-plus capacity case. Typical charges for most of my shooting with these guys are in the 40-55 grain area.

Having the above two rifles, I really don't need another large-bore rifle....but I hear rumblings of a LEFT-HAND Ruger Hawkeye in .375R. That would be a serious temptation.

Cast loads in these larger rifles offer the PROPER situation for cast-bullet hunting loads, which in MY opinion may be considered as throwbacks to black-powder cartridge days. By this, I mean that heavy bullet weight and larger diameter will compensate for the energy losses incurred in smaller cartridges by loading to lower speeds for cast bullets. I distrust the .30 and smaller calibers for decent big-game performance with cast bullets in the low-2000 velocity range. BUT, a 300-grain-plus bullet of good diameter, and perhaps with a pure-lead soft-point, should be very, very effective on game.

For MY taste, cast-bullet hunting rifles will start at the .338 diameter, and bigger is more to my liking. As time goes along, and I have an Alberta elk/whitetail hunt blocked out for 2008, I'm really leaning hard in the direction of taking only cast-bullet loads on that expedition. 200 yards is well-within the reach of the .416 and .404 with 400s at 2100 fps.

If you have (or decide to obtain) a .375 Ruger, please keep us posted on your experiments and results. Practical new cartridges don't come along every year, and I like the looks of this one.

AlanR
07-14-2007, 10:20 AM
Morning Bruce and thanks for the informative post. It is reassuring to hear that the 375 Ruger will serve my purpose. This rifle fits me and balances well. I plan to order a NECG peep sight to compliment the package. Initially, I will need to buy commercial cast bullets. Any suggestions on who to order from?

BruceB
07-14-2007, 10:36 AM
G'day, Al.

I'd sure be surprised if The Bullshop (link at the bottom of this page) couldn't supply you with some fine .375 bullets. He's located in Alaska, at least for now, and I'm sure he's familiar with a number of good designs for that bore diameter.

Nice folks, and you can deal with them in full confidence that you will get full value for money.

Of course, you HAVE to start casting your own at some time, right? Let us know when you're ready to start, and perhaps we can help out a bit.

45 2.1
07-14-2007, 11:28 AM
...but I hear rumblings of a LEFT-HAND Ruger Hawkeye in .375R. That would be a serious temptation.

Hmmm! A lot more than a serious temptation I believe. Were the rumblings from a good source? It would be really nice to see one in 358 Win.

Harry O
07-14-2007, 06:37 PM
I would say that it depends a lot on whether or not the gun will feed gas-check 38-55 bullets reliably. I have a 9.5x57 Mannlicher-Schoenauer (which is .375 in diameter). Unfortunately, it will not feed anything other than a Lyman 375167 -- which is not gas checked. Unless I keep it at VERY low velocity, the accuracy is poor. It is extremely accurate with jacketed RN bullets and the Lyman at below about 1,500fps, but accuracy for the Lyman goes bad above that.

Four Fingers of Death
07-27-2007, 12:46 AM
They made a left handed 375 Ruger for Craig Boddington, I read a test of it, very impressive with jacketed bulets, should be good for cast.
Welcome aboard Alan.

mstarling
07-27-2007, 11:14 AM
I make a 285 gr 375449 GC Lyman mould sized to 0.377" in wheel weights and lubed with Carnauba Red that works just fine an M70 SS Classic .375 H&H and a Mauser based .375 Steyr.

The .375 Ruger shouldn't be that different ... but every rifle is a thing unto itself. If suggest you try a few before you invest in the stuff to make them.

Marlin Junky
08-13-2007, 02:37 PM
Hornady brand .375 Ruger cases are almost a buck a piece and I would need to know how the rifle is throated before investing in one. Doesn't the lack of case neck bother anyone?

MJ

1Shirt
08-13-2007, 03:44 PM
All ctgs. are potential cast boolet shooters, IF-you are willing to screw around long enough with them, ask questions of this forum, and have a lot of patience.
:1Shirt1 :coffee: coffee:

Marlin Junky
08-14-2007, 06:17 PM
1Shirt,

I agree, but if I were to purchase a big cased .375, I'd be disappointed if it ended up with too little throat in addition to the short neck. Actually, I've been thinking about buying an Encore in .375H&H but again, I need to know something about T/C's .375H&H chamber (throat length) before purchasing.

MJ