PDA

View Full Version : What are friends for

BACKTOSHOOTING
01-20-2013, 12:17 AM
So a friend calls today while im casting and tells me he's at a garage sale and theres some lead for sale, Do i want it ?
I ask him how much there is and what he wants for it, He says about 40-60 lbs and he wants :shock: $5 :shock:
So I think for a second,tell him BUY EVERY THING HE HAS
Went over to picked it up and took him out to dinner and just could not resist weighing it and it setteled out at :shock: 146 lbs :shock:
It's all very soft and I couldn't be happyer.

So i smelted this lead to day and all went fine till the last and largest piece of this lead, The one in the back and bottom of foto.
The biggest piece when cast left a gold shine to the discs that i cast and the 1st and 2 batch didnt.
Seams to have a Tin film on all the melts but the last batch was even more.
Would the led have a fair amont of tin in it to help it flow when conecting the pipes together ?

Beagle333
01-20-2013, 12:32 AM
I gotta reevaluate my friends. I never get calls from them with finds like that! Great score!

possom813
01-20-2013, 12:40 AM
That pile looks like one of the old 'snake' fireworks :mrgreen:

Nice Score!

Grendel99
01-20-2013, 02:21 AM
What on earth is that?

Johnch
01-20-2013, 03:14 AM
What on earth is that?

Looks to be Lead seals for cast iron drain lines
Normaly pretty close to pure lead

I have a few to melt next time I cast Maxi Balls
But you have a nice score there

John

casterofboolits
01-20-2013, 10:00 AM
My buddy pulled up one day and backed his truck up to my workshop doors. we then proceeded to unload about 600 pounds of lead water pipe. Made a pile about three feet high. He works for a local small town and collects all the lead water pipe they replace. Another time it was a five gallon bucket of wheel weights from a Mom & Pop tire shop. Needless to say he always has a good supply of boolits.:drinks:

DLCTEX
01-21-2013, 12:48 AM
When ever I replace cast iron sewer pipe I take a sledge hammer to the joints and remove the lead caulking. It increases the value of the cast iron scrap and I get free boolit material. I removed two lead sewer traps from under one house we remodeled, gaining about 75 # of lead on that one. The city guys call me occasionally to give me an old lead meter loop they have replaced.

BACKTOSHOOTING
01-21-2013, 03:18 AM
When ever I replace cast iron sewer pipe I take a sledge hammer to the joints and remove the lead caulking. It increases the value of the cast iron scrap and I get free boolit material. I removed two lead sewer traps from under one house we remodeled, gaining about 75 # of lead on that one. The city guys call me occasionally to give me an old lead meter loop they have replaced.

I had a pretty good idea that is what it came from, It has a V shape in the inside middle part and some of them are solid bands with no ends.