PDA

View Full Version : Went to the Houston Gun Show today and all I bought was a Hand Grenade

Down South
01-19-2013, 11:49 PM
I went to the Houston Gun Show today at the Reliant Center just after I got back from the range testing some loads for my Marlin 375 Win.
Talk about a waste of time and money. $10 to park, $10 to get into the show. I never saw so much tacticool stuff in my life and all at double or triple prices or sometimes even more. AR-15 mags were $30-35 for the cheapest. 5.56 ammo was $1 per round or better for the cheap stuff. Those 100 rd drums for an AR were $250+. One guy had a $700 price tag on his drums. I saw AR's by the dozen. A Colt LE like mine was priced at $3000, saw two of those at two different tables, same price.
I did not see much buying of the tacticool stuff. Actually, I didn't see much buying at all. I figured I might find something I could use at a decent price. I wasn't looking for any tacticool stuff for myself, just price checking.
I checked power and primers. The cheapest primers I could find were $38 per 1000. Powder wasn't very cheap either. I couldn't find any of the mags for a couple old Smith's of mine. Even if I had, most of the used mags that I saw were over priced.
They did have handguns at many of the tables with some being reasonably priced.
Anyway, as I was walking towards the exit, I stopped at one of the last tables and was looking over the wares. An old man, veteran, was selling odd and end stuff and he struck up a conversation with me. He had a rack of those fake hand grenades and I had always wanted one for my desk so I bought one from him.
I never cared much for gun shows. I could always find better deals elsewhere but it is amusing to look and listen to the tacticool guys talk.

LUBEDUDE
01-20-2013, 01:22 AM
Sounds like a repeat of the Houston Panic 4yrs ago.

You're right about the lack of deals nowadays. The "deals" are between the dealers on Fridays when they set up.

jcwit
01-20-2013, 01:36 AM
At least no one shot themselves like they did here at the Indy 1500 show.

LUBEDUDE
01-20-2013, 01:44 AM
At least no one shot themselves like they did here at the Indy 1500 show.

Yeah, just what we needed now! In THIS heated political climate. ANOTHER nail in our coffin. Or- the gun show coffin.

o6Patient
01-20-2013, 02:05 AM
The tragedies have been real convenient for the commie b@$+@rd$. Almost too convenient.

Bad Water Bill
01-20-2013, 02:46 AM
Around here there never are any deals. There are many GUN DEALERS (most do NOT have a brick and mortar building nor any even part time employees).

Why their prices are HIGHER than the mom and pop stores is spelled GREED.

One dealer showed his ignorance of his customers by posting a sign reading "THIS AIN'T 1965 GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR ---- AND PAY THE PRICE OR GET OUT OF MY FACE"

He wanted $38.00 a brick for 22s while Cabelas only a few miles away wanted $17.99.

BATFE here stopped all sales of powder or primers by issuing WARNING tickets as the dealers vehicles did not meet the BATFE rules for transporting such items.

No I no longer go to gun shows as the dealers have smashed the golden egg.

Silver Eagle
01-20-2013, 03:32 AM
Bad Water Bill, I don't know which show you go to. But, the Dupage County and Kane County shows have both had primers and powders available. Before the prices went nuts, Win LP were $28 per K and Tula's were $22. Picked up a 1 lb can of bullseye for $18.50. With similar prices on the more common powders.
Ammunition prices have gone nuts and they were flying out the door. Talked to one vendor and he sold 7500 rounds of 9mm in less than 2 hours!
The January show in Dupage had a record turnout of over 1200 customers. Wondering what the show on Feb 3rd is going to be like.

WILCO
01-20-2013, 06:02 AM
I never cared much for gun shows. I could always find better deals elsewhere but it is amusing to look and listen to the tacticool guys talk.

Gun shows are like everything else. It was once a good way to find and buy, but as time marched forward, costs and regulations have increased. I would take heart in the fact that you were there, enjoyed some part of it and can bare witness to "How it used to be" when they're outlawed.

Echo
01-20-2013, 11:12 AM
Arizona Arms Association shows are generally good shows, and I try to make them all (2 or 3 times annually), but the professional-run shows are as noted above...

Jim
01-20-2013, 11:22 AM
With regard to the high prices, I bought a pound of Red Dot the other day at my LGS. I had ordered it a coupla' weeks back and the merchant called me to tell me it was in. Imagine my shock and surprise when I saw $17.95 on the container!

I can't remember that last time I paid less that $20 for a pound of powder. With the supplies drying up and the panic buying going on, I fully expected to pay upwards of $30 for the pound. I was as happy to pay $17.95 as if it had been given to me.

Down South
01-20-2013, 11:48 AM
I was primer and powder shopping for my neighbor who could not attend the show. Nothing that I was looking for could be found at what I considered a fair price. I don't need any primes or powder right. I'll have to spot my neighbor some supplies until he can scrounge up his own.

smokemjoe
01-20-2013, 11:58 AM
I went that show about 7 years ago, I got a rifle and outside I pulled a case out and put the gun in it,Everone stopped and looked at me, I guess no one uses a case down there. Joe

gbrown
01-20-2013, 01:10 PM
I went to the Houston Gun Show today at the Reliant Center
Talk about a waste of time and money. $10 to park, $10 to get into the show. I never saw so much tacticool stuff

I went to the HGCA show about 3 years ago, and I had the same impression. Swore I would never go back. I go to the ones in Pasadena when I need something. Closer to home, less gas, still a lot of tacticool stuff, knives (some good, a lot of junk) and survival type items. Luckily, I don't have many needs right now.