PDA

View Full Version : check maker question!

blaser.306
01-19-2013, 11:22 PM
Do the custom gas check making tools suplied by vendor sponsors here make a crimp on (Hornady / Gator ) type of check or a slip fit ( Lyman ) type or is this a function of the check material thickness and shank punch diameter? Just thought it worth asking . Thanks in advance.

DukeInFlorida
01-20-2013, 09:28 AM
Good checks, made by anyone, in any tool, should snap on to the shank, and get somewhat crimped in place when the boolit gets sized.

Properly made and sized gas checks should not have to get glued in place.

Not sure if that answers your question.

fcvan
01-21-2013, 06:51 PM
My plain based checks swage onto the boolit base during sizing. The aluminum soda can material just 'irons' on so to speak. My regular checks are made with Amerimax aluminum flashing and they slip/crimp on like regular checks. if I want a tighter fit I can stamp the check out of thicker material so they swage on somewhat like plain based checks. I have one 30 cal mold that likes checks made of .0105 material, and the other likes .014 thick. The beauty of stamping your own is you can fine tune your check to fit your boolit shank rather than being limited to the generic check you get from store bought.