PDA

View Full Version : What was the first gun you ever fired?

smokeywolf
01-19-2013, 08:37 PM
Hope I'm not being redundant here. Also, couldn't find a more appropriate area to place this thread. Moderators, please move it if I've messed this up.

First gun I shot was a 1950ish Winchester Model 67a bolt action 22. I was 2 years old. Dad put the finger ring on the bolt because I couldn't grip the bolt tight enough to pull it back to cock.

Folks laid it across a folding canvas camp stool which put it at just about shoulder height for me.

Still in exactly the same shape it was in 55 years ago.

smokeywolf

I'll Make Mine
01-19-2013, 08:41 PM
For me, it was a Glenfield (forget the model) tube magazine, bolt action .22 rifle, at age 7 or 8 -- that rifle was probably made in the late 1950s, and I traded it away in the 1980s, not knowing then that it had belonged to my granddad (thought my own father had bought it). Similar setup to yours, though I didn't need help operating the bolt (my bother, three years younger, did, a little). Don't recall that I hit anything, but I already knew enough about how guns operate (was a big reader from an early age) to be surprised that there wasn't a kick.

jimb16
01-19-2013, 08:57 PM
.22 H&R Plainsman here.

captbligh
01-19-2013, 09:02 PM
Stevens 15A .22LR single shot falling block (I think it's commonly called a Crackshot or Favorite) when I was about 4 years old shooting at cans sitting on fenceposts at my Grandparents farm. Still remember it well sixty years later. The birth of a gun nut thanks to my Dad.

daniel lawecki
01-19-2013, 09:18 PM
My first real job boss gave a 300 winchester mag it was his model 70

Bullshop
01-19-2013, 09:35 PM
Mauser 22lr bolt action clip fed repeater, a man size rifle. I couldnt hold it up by myself. Man that was an accurate 22. My Dad brought it back from Germany on his return from WW2.
He didnt talk about the war much but when he passed on the family found a bunch of medals tucked away in his foot locker.
He did tell me about being a BAR man fighting their way across open farm country but when they got in to the city cleaning up streat to streat he said he traded for a Thompson because it was better suited to the typr of fighting in a city. God bless you Dad!

brstevns
01-19-2013, 10:00 PM
Old Stevens Bolt Action clip feed 22Lr. I believe I was 8 at the time.

Doc65
01-19-2013, 10:44 PM
Winchester Model 61 across the tailgate of Dad's old 65 Dodge Powerwagon, not sure the age, but given the other factors as I remember them I was likely 5, maybe 6. Then & for the next 15 or so years it had some feed issues, thought it shot great, in the late 80's while home burning "use it or lose it Leave" I fixed the feed issues(one minor broken piece), since then it will feed about anything as fact as you want to pump it & pull the trigger...

Growing up we fed the family on game(most any game we could find in western Oregon in addition to trout steelhead & salmon), and this .22 was the perfect unit for Grouse & Quail, shoot them in the head & no BB's to pick out or eat around.

None of the guns I either already have from Dad, or will inherit on his passing will ever go other than to pass down to my daughter, but if for some reason they were to, this old model 61 would be the last.

xacex
01-20-2013, 02:01 AM
A 44mag at age 6. My step-dad held it around me. I was hooked as soon as that round hit the target on the tree and took out a chunk of wood the size of a mans fist. My father quickly tried to one up him by helping me fire one of his investment guns. A mac 10 full auto back in 1981 or so. That didn't go so well, but no one got hurt from the half rainbow of projectiles that I sprayed in that short burst of 10 or so rounds. My father let me shoot it on my own, but put an arm across my forearms. I don't think he was prepared for the recoil to be that unmanageable by me since I shot a 44 mag, but my step-father also was holding it with me. My father wasn't to bright that day, but we lived.

SciFiJim
01-20-2013, 03:52 AM
6 rounds out of an uncle's 44mag at about age 5 or 6. He was leery of letting me try, but did with VERY close supervision (his hand almost cupping both of mine holding the pistol). I was a better shot than my 5 years older brother. :)

Gtek
01-20-2013, 11:24 AM
Winchester 67- Dad made me fill two old pillow cases with dirt and laid on old Army green wool blanket at around 8 years old. I have a grandson getting close, I have the rifle. Guess what he has coming? Gtek

Wolfer
01-20-2013, 11:37 AM
First gun I remember shooting was a rem 742 in 30-06 or 308, don't know which. My dad held it up for me and as it was almost dark I was really impressed with the muzzle flash.
About 7 or 8 dad bought me a win 67a just like the OP without the finger ring of course. I hunted constantly but couldn't hold the gun up and rarely killed anything. So dad traded it for a savage 24 in 22/410 and the squirrels, rabbets, quail were in harms way now.

As a side note, once while taking the 67 off the rack I dropped it and broke the nut that held the stock on. Dad took it to the local welder who arc welded it back on. It was a pretty ugly weld and the bolt cross threaded but held the stock on ok.
Years later my FIL bought a 67a for my daughter and I remarked that my first gun looked just like it. While cleaning it one day we pulled the stock off and what do you know!
My daughter still has it.

avogunner
01-20-2013, 11:46 AM
Ithaca single shot .22 probably 40-45 years ago. Still in my gun safe though.

Tazman1602
01-20-2013, 11:52 AM
Marlin 39A .22. It was my dads gun he had along with a Frontier Scout .22 pistol and a custom holster rig made for it. He used to love to play "Sodbuster" and I believe he thought he was actually "Hoss" from Bonanza which was his favorite show. Unfortunately his house was broken into and the Marlin, the pistol, and one beautiful Belgian Browning 12 gauge over and under skeet gun
was stolen. I've still got the holster although it's a bit small for me now.............he got the insurance to pay off but was so dismayed he never did replace them. Makes me sick. That Browning alone would have been worth several K by now.............

Art

Kraschenbirn
01-20-2013, 11:54 AM
I was 7 or 8 and the gun was a Remington single-shot .22 (probably an M514), pulled out of the 'used' rack at the gun & tack shop that was my uncle's favorite hang-out.

Bill

ShooterAZ
01-20-2013, 12:26 PM
Mine was my Uncle's Winchester Model 62A pump .22. I now have the rifle.

rexherring
01-20-2013, 12:58 PM
Hope I'm not being redundant here. Also, couldn't find a more appropriate area to place this thread. Moderators, please move it if I've messed this up.

First gun I shot was a 1950ish Winchester Model 67a bolt action 22. I was 2 years old. Dad put the finger ring on the bolt because I couldn't grip the bolt tight enough to pull it back to cock.

Folks laid it across a folding canvas camp stool which put it at just about shoulder height for me.

smokeywolf

I shot one just like this one and used it for many years. It was my fathers that he had given to him by my Grandfather. My brother now has it and I have my Dad's old Winchester 74 semi-auto. My first shotgun that I shot was my uncles old 10 guage double, knocked me on my butt because my brother told me to pull both triggers at once. (damn older brothers):)

GARYC
01-20-2013, 01:08 PM
After completely wearing out a "pump action" Daisy BB, my Dad bought me a Model 47 Win single shot for my birthday. One of the happiest days of my life! I was 8 or 9 (1954 or 1955). He paid $9. for it, at a pawn shop. Traded the Model 47 when I was 15 to a kid for a 1911 45acp built by Smith-Corona. Regrettably have neither now!

Gary

tward
01-20-2013, 05:32 PM
Daisy pump action BB gun around 1955-56. Guy down the street was shooting it asked if I wanted to try it. Hooked ever since! Tim

SciFiJim
01-20-2013, 06:43 PM
Daisy pump action BB gun around 1955-56. Guy down the street was shooting it asked if I wanted to try it. Hooked ever since! Tim

I hadn't even thought about BB guns. I DO remember having to place the muzzle on the ground and use my whole body and both hands to cock my first one. I have no idea how old I was.

dagunnut
01-20-2013, 08:23 PM
I think I was nine years old and the neighbor asked my dad to go shooting and bring me along. We ended up firing a couple of Colt Aces original not conversions and boy did I shoot alot of 22 that day. That was a great day and two very liked guns. I purchased an original conversion kit a few years ago and can't wait to take my kids shooting with them.

chsparkman
01-20-2013, 08:33 PM
The first gun I ever fired was my dad's Remington 1100 in 12 gauge. I was 9 years old and he held onto it so I wouldn't get the full recoil. It was scary and exhilarating at the same time. Been hooked ever since.

uncle joe
01-20-2013, 08:33 PM
new pic, the one I fired was about a 1966 model

badgeredd
01-20-2013, 08:35 PM
A Daisey Red Rider...I still have the gun but it has been through hell the last 55 plus years. My brother chopped off the but stock to make himself a "cool" gun. Dad and Mom gave it to me for my 7th or 8th birthday/Christmas present. Yeah, my birthday is close enough to Christmas that I occasionally got a combination present. Heck it was the fifties!!!!!!

Edd

kweidner
01-20-2013, 09:02 PM
59085 This golden 39a my dad bought when he was a kid. Still looks like this today. First high power was a model 99 savage in 308. His shooting partner and I had the savage re blued and re stocked for dad in the early 90s for a Christmas present. He liked it so much he never fired it again. He didn't want to take a chance on scratching it lol, Got em both now. Still haven't shot the savage. Wish I could find wood like this now. 59086

possom813
01-20-2013, 09:20 PM
A short .22, I couldn't tell you the make or model to save myself. I was around 6 when my dad took me out the first time with my brothers'.

All I remember is we were on an old low-water bridge and were shooting at paint cans that were laying in the creek.

Dutch4122
01-20-2013, 09:34 PM
I was 7 or 8 years old. Dad was crazy about Pheasant hunting back then. I was allowed to tag along (in the rear of course) with my Daisey Model '94 BB Gun while he and his buddy Bill watched the dog work. Bill owned an Irish Setter named "Shamrock" that was one of the best and smartest bird dogs I've ever seen. Anybody ever tells you that Setters are all dumber than a box of rocks I would have to disagree. They always got their limit when "Sham" was out in front.

On the way back to the house I kept pestering Dad to let me shoot his gun. He finally gave in and located an old coffee can along the fenceline. He set it on the post and handed me his Winchester Mod. 1200 semi-auto after chambering just 1 round because he said shells were too expensive to waste. After he showed me how to push the safety off I drew a bead on the coffee can and peppered it. Hooked for life on anything that went bang.

4 or 5 years later I was twelve and going Pheasant hunting for real the very 1st time. Dad had wrote me a note excusing me from school for opening day of Pheasant season. We were sitting around the coffee table at Bill's house. I was fit to be tied while the men drank coffee and talked for what seemed like forever. All of a sudden "Sham" came over to Bill and laid his head on Bill's knee. He patted the dog on the head and kept talking. I watched the dog as he stared up at Bill for a few seconds, then barked once. That was all it took and it seemed like Bill realized the dog was loosing patience with him. I got in a lot of shooting that day thanks to that old Setter's skill. Sure wish I could relive that day just one more time.

Jailer
01-20-2013, 10:23 PM
My first shot was from a Marlin model 89C. My dad had hunted when he was young but had given it up long before I was able to go out. My older brother took me out squirrel hunting for the first time and it was with that old Marlin of my dads. To a very young kid that semi auto 22 was the coolest thing ever. What was even cooler was bringing home my first squirrel that day.

It's the only one of 3 guns that my dad owned. I have the Marlin, my older brother has the Winchester 20 gauge and my younger brother has the single shot 16 gauge.

Dad left us too early in life and I miss him a bunch. I'd trade all my guns to have him back to live a full life.

Gunslinger1911
01-20-2013, 10:38 PM
Ha Ha, great thread !! Old memorys are great !
I was maybe 10 yo, city boy out at great uncles farm, one day asked if I had ever shot a gun, "uuuuhhh no sir", can't have that he says.
Sears copy of a Win 200 12 ga pump - did I mention I was a very skinny 10 yo ? Knocked me right on my butt. Didn't drop gun, asked to shoot again. Stayed up this time !
NOW he brings out the .22 bolt gun !!!
Started a life long love of guns and shooting that day

texassako
01-20-2013, 11:06 PM
It was a 20 gauge single shot for me at about age 6, and I still have it. Dad handed it to me after a bit of safety instruction, I leveled it at a paper plate on a tree, and proceeded to whallop my shoulder with the recoil. Plate was gone, bark was gone, and I received my first lesson on what happens when the butt of the gun is slightly off the shoulder.

429421Cowboy
01-20-2013, 11:52 PM
Got a Red Ryder bb gun for Christmas when i was 6 or 7, shot the living daylights out of that till i was 8 i believe, then my dad let me shoot my mother's Browning BL-22 on the back porch after a baseball game. What a sweet little gun! Then when i turned 10 my dad saw my grampa about getting great-grampa's 20 guage Ithaca shotgun. I already knew all of my dad's guns by heart, i read anything about guns i could get my hands on, (still do) so i wondered why he needed another pump action 20 guage if he already had a Wingmaster 20 guage? He then took us out and let me shoot the Wingmaster, my brother the Ithaca, then he asked if we liked it, "Yes sir!" "Then they're yours". He had twin boys so he needed twin shotguns to give them! Still have all those guns as well as the Browning BLR .243 that was the first centerfire rifle i ever shot.
Interesting thing about the Ithaca 20 guage is that in 1968 if you bought a new Ford Camper Special pickup in the little farming town my great-grandpa lived in back them, they gave you a shotgun. Still have the pickup that it came with too, a '68 Ford F-350, runs and drives good!

rintinglen
01-21-2013, 01:29 AM
My first shots came when my Dad took my younger brother and I into the back yard and broke out the Benjamin Pellet rifle. He took a green crayon and drew a bunny on a card board box. My brother and I took turns shooting until Dad got tired of pumping. Hope to do the same with my grandson someday soon. Thank you all for sharing your stories, helped bring back some good memories.

badbob454
01-21-2013, 03:15 AM
mine was an old sears pump up 22 cal pellet rifle prob from the early 60's went to a rifle 22 cal marlin shot longs shorts and lr with no prefference shot every time it was a tube fed semi auto ...nice gun

webradbury
01-21-2013, 03:35 AM
7 or 8 years old...Daddy got me a .410 bolt action. I think it was a Sears Roebuck but can't remember. In the back yard beside the barn. Coffee can on a wood pile under a big old Walnut tree. Daddy shot it first and I got scared. He made me shoot it. After the first shot, I didn't want to stop shooting.

NickSS
01-21-2013, 07:01 AM
The first rifle I fired was a daisy BB gun with a lever action that my Aunt owned. I do not know how old I was but I could not cock it myself. First cartridge gun was a 22 punp in a shooting gallery in Conney Island. The first one I owned was a sporterized Number 4 MK1 Enfield in 303.

oldarkie
01-21-2013, 10:58 AM
1955,7yrs old ,10 gauge single shot,my step uncle though it would be funny,it was to every one but me.took two years to get me to fire another gun,havent stopped since.

jlchucker
01-21-2013, 11:45 AM
My first shot was fired from a Savage model 23, in 25-20 Winchester. Dad brought it home from work one day, and my younger brother and I were excited that Dad had acquired a 22. He'd won the gun (used) in a raffle, along with two boxes of ammo. Some time later, he took my younger brother and me down to the town dump, where we plinked a couple of shots each at a rock in the river, some 200 yards away, and then at a couple of tin cans. We didn't shoot up very many cartridges. Nobody in our small town reloaded, and Dad made those two boxes of ammo last for several years. My 3 brothers and I all got started deer hunting with that little rifle. I never got one with it, but one of my brothers got about 4 bucks with it, never taking more than two shots each year. Memories!

69daytona
01-21-2013, 11:46 AM
Ithica single shot 20 gauge that I received for my 13th birthday. Still have it and shoot it every once in awhile, waiting for my Grandson to get 13 and then I will pass it on to him. Took a lot of dove and quail with that gun and countless rabbits.

waksupi
01-21-2013, 12:54 PM
1955,7yrs old ,10 gauge single shot,my step uncle though it would be funny,it was to every one but me.took two years to get me to fire another gun,havent stopped since.

That kind of thing has turned a lot of people away from ever shooting a gun again. I would never do that to someone, but have witnessed it several times over the years, and I have invariably chewed some butt.

quack1
01-21-2013, 01:13 PM
First shots were from a co2 pellet rifle, Crossman I think, when I was 5. Dad and I would shoot from one side of the cellar to a newspaper bundle on the other side. He thumbtacked targets to the bundle. By the time I was in first grade I could hit all 4 thumbtacks in the target with one shot each. First real gun to shoot was a model 42 Winchester pump .410.

Gliden07
01-21-2013, 01:40 PM

smokeywolf

This is what true Gun ownership is not only having the guns but having the guns, stories and memories that come with the ownership!!

My first gun was a Red Ryder BB Gun first "real" gun was a little Browning Semi-Auto .22 that my Dad let me shoot at about 6! He still has the gun. I liked it so much I bought one too about 25 years ago and I still have that!!

EMC45
01-22-2013, 10:24 AM
Ruger Single Six .22LR.

Jim
01-22-2013, 10:44 AM
I have a brother that's six years my senior. When Brian was a young teenager, Dad brought home a Mossberg 46-B 22 bolt action. That was the first thing I pulled a trigger on. Looking back, I laugh at myself. I was so small, I had to cradle the stock under my shoulder to get up to the scope. My brother still has that rifle.

ski2me
01-31-2013, 06:58 PM
I was around eight or nine when my dad bought this 22. I thought it was about the coolest thing I had ever seen. It was the first one of his guns that he let me shoot. I still have it.

abqcaster
01-31-2013, 07:09 PM
My granddaddy's Springfield Model 15 youth rifle, 22LR. It was his squirrel gun. When I was 4-5yo he taught me to plink with it. After he died, I got to use it to go varminting on the farm. I must have taken 100 skunks with it when they got into the henhouses. It's in my safe now. Doesn't seem to be worth much, but i wouldn't ever sell it anyhow.

smokeywolf
01-31-2013, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the stories and the pics guys. Can't resist a stroll down memory lane once in a while. Especially to those special memories when dad or sometimes even moms are introducing us to one of those rare traditions that almost never fails to strengthen the bond between parents and children.

My father was an exceptionally talented craftsman and engineer. For a significant portion of my childhood he would also hit me for no reason other than to release pent up frustration. I've been strong enough emotionally, to keep the bad memories from tainting or polluting the good ones. Much of the good times we had together involved working on guns, reloading, shooting and hunting. Those memories allow me to still have good and positive thoughts of my father. Every time I pull the handle on the single stage Hollywood press, or pick up a Winchester or one of the others, my mind wanders back to all those wonderful hours spent in his workshop; reloading, watching him checker or engrave a stock, or even just sweeping up the primers or wood shavings.

My time reloading and shooting with my sons is priceless. We look at each other eye to eye, we calculate distances and windage & elevation, we compete, we laugh, we communicate. We go home with sore shoulders and we talk about increasing or decreasing a particular charge, neck tension, crimps, and we start anticipating and looking forward to the next time we go shooting. They will remember those good times. They will not however, have any of the bad memories.

Whatever it takes, we need to keep this sport, this tradition alive.

Keep the stories coming.

smokeywolf

imashooter2
01-31-2013, 09:08 PM
In 1960 I was 3 years old...

http://imashooter2.com/pictures/Grampa_Paul_Dale_22_1960.jpg
http://imashooter2.com/pictures/H+R-760.jpg

Mk42gunner
02-01-2013, 12:47 AM
Like many others in this thread, the first real gun I ever fired was my Dad's Model 67-A Winchester, target was a Phillips 66 quart oil can. I remember lining up the sights on the big v across the front, and the hole magically appearing dead center in the top o fthe can (I didn't quite understand keeping the front sight level with the rear).

I have the rifle now, but all in all, I'd rather have my Dad back.

Robert

wallenba
02-01-2013, 01:09 AM
Come to think of it, I don't know. I know it was a single shot open bolt .22 that belonged to a schoolmate. This was in about 1960, I was eight, and yes we were supervised.

wallenba
02-01-2013, 01:12 AM
I was around eight or nine when my dad bought this 22. I thought it was about the coolest thing I had ever seen. It was the first one of his guns that he let me shoot. I still have it.

Remington nylon 66, nice. Very desirable these days.

gwpercle
02-01-2013, 02:13 PM
Daisy, Red Ryder " you'll put your eye out ! " lever action... I , my brother nor any of my 8 cousins or several friends ever shot an eye out...and we didn't even have " eye protection ".
A few days ago a fellow I work with brought his son's Red Ryder Christmas present to let me see if I could un-jamb it.
When loading for the first time it got hung up. A sharp rap on the butt got it going again. We took it out back and started popping a tin can around...it's been 40 years since I had shot one and it was so much fun I think I'm going to ask Santa for one next Christmas.
Gary

ski2me
02-02-2013, 01:19 AM
Remington nylon 66, nice. Very desirable these days.

My father is still with us (he still goes out and shoots with me occasionally) but he gave me that gun a couple of years ago. He split his guns between my brother and I so we wouldn't be fighting over them when he's gone. A very wise man.

GH1
02-02-2013, 11:07 AM
I was around 9 or so when Dad let me fire his Marlin Model 90 O/U in 16 ga. Kicked like hell, still does. When he died in '91 it was passed on to me and when I die it'll probably go to one of my brother's boys, since I have a daughter that has no interest in guns.
GH1:mrgreen:

TheGrimReaper
02-02-2013, 04:18 PM
Good question.....I don't know.

robroy
02-02-2013, 09:56 PM
Old Monkey Ward .22 bolt gun. It fired short, long, or long rifle. I've still got it but it doesnt fit me too well any more (46 years later). I wanted to hunt and was told when I could hit half an egg shell every time I could go. The range was 30 of Grandpa's steps. I went through a few soup cans before I started calling which letter in Campbell's I was going to hit. I'm not sure I could read the can at that distance now. I bet I could hit that egg shell though.

shooterg
02-03-2013, 03:07 PM
Springfield 15Y .22 that Pops used on his trapline in the 30's before he joined Uncle Sam's Misguided Children for a tour of Asia. Told me it cost $2.98 from Sears Roebuck. He's still around , the gun isn't, my idiot brother had it a car he wrecked and it disappeared before we got to the tow truck shop. I did find one like it though, just because. I'm thinking age 6, since I was squirrel hunting on the farm alone by age 8. First gun of my own (age 12)was a Sears.22(Marlin 80) with Ted Williams 4x scope - now the squirrels were REALLY in trouble . Still have that on, but it's got my 2 year old grandson's name on it !

Ilwil
02-03-2013, 10:35 PM
My folks were rabbit hunting on San Juan Island; I was five and itching to shoot a gun. Toward the end of the hunt, I got to shoot my Mom's Winchester 69 sporter, then a Stevens 410 sxs, ventilating a milk carton. That put the bug under my skin, and it has never left after 56 years.

khmer6
02-03-2013, 11:30 PM
i dont remember if it was a 45 GAP or a Raven 25ACP. either way, most of the time i was shooting at the ground instead of paper lol. it wasn't until many years later that i learned how to use sights. i never had anyone to teach me the fundamentals. now im cranking out boolits like madness :-D

captaint
02-04-2013, 03:49 PM
Back around 1959 I was 10 years young. My best friend's Dad took us out one day and we shot his Browning 22 Auto. What a gun. I never forgot that.. My Dad wasn't into shooting or guns or fishing.
Somehow, I decided I was gonna do it anyway. It all worked out, anyhow. Dad was a great guy, though. Mike

Mark Daiute
02-04-2013, 04:10 PM
I have no idea how old I was. Maybe 5 years old so we are talking 1958. The rifle is a short little Winchester single shot 22. you close the bolt and pull back the cocking knob. I've since found this very simple rifle at gunshows and have found that, in essence, they were made in "lad and Dad" versions and are collectable.

It went to Massachusetts to my step-brother's house for about 20 years while his kids grew up. It has since come home to me and my sons shoot it, especially my 11-year old.

41 mag fan
02-04-2013, 07:24 PM
First time I remember pretty well. I was 4 1/2 yrs old. Dad took me squirrel hunting for the first time ever. Blackbird sitting on powerline...he got me in front of him, put the Winchester up to my shoulder, got behind me, and helped hold it up and told me to pull the trigger.
That model 12 flat out kicked my butt!
He laughed....and i have been hooked on guns ever since. Just wish he would of stayed around and not moved when mom and him got divorced. I would of gotten more experience hunting with him. But the bug bit. I was hunting on my own at 8yrs old.
At 8 yrs old, mom would give me 1 shotgun shell for my H&R 20 ga.
I take my shell, go to the 5 acre pasture beside us, kick up a rabbit, miss, go tromping back and yell mom I missed, I need another shell.
Get my shell, go back to the pasture, kick up a rabbit, go tromping back to the house......
I played this routine for 2 yrs....but on the 2nd yr mom gave me 5 shells to take.
Towards the end of the season, i finally connected!! I hit that rabbit and rolled him!!
Thing was, being my first kill with something other than my bb gun and spatsys....he kept kicking!!
Needless 5 shots later i killed him...he quit twitching!!
I went and picked that rabbit up and I swear he rattled from the lead shot in him!!
Took him to my neighbors to clean, he laughed and shook his head when i blurted the story of my "great rabbit hunt" out to him.
Ended up throwing him in the field behind the house for the yotes. I bet those yotes lost a few teeth eating that carcass!!!

smokeywolf
02-05-2013, 03:27 PM
Great story 41 mag fan.
With all the bad news and the imminent threat to our right to bear arms, to enjoy and to hand down the legacies handed down to us by dads, uncles, and sometimes moms, this thread is a bright spot in my day.

Thanks to all you guys for sharing your memories.

smokeywolf

Sig556r
01-16-2019, 10:22 AM
1911 Springfield

Traffer
01-16-2019, 10:47 AM
I believe it was a Winchester model 1890 ...1906 version 22 short gallery gun. At least that is the one I grew up with. What a great first gun for a kid.

veeman
01-16-2019, 11:05 AM
Muzzleloader, CVA .45 Kentucky rifle. 1st one I made from a kit too, still got it, 40 years later.

Mytmousemalibu
01-16-2019, 11:11 AM
The first gun, an old Benjamin Franklin .22 air pistol, still have it.

1st Powder burner, H&R Pioneer, single shot .22lr. I regretfully sold it about 20+yrs ago.

RU shooter
01-16-2019, 11:21 AM
First gun was a daisy lever action BB gun forget what model but it had the target type front and rear sights on it must have killed hundreds of chimpmunks when I would go on big game safaris after school ! Lol moved up to a 22 marlin tube fed bolt action . .
First pistol was a webley tempest pellet pistol next was dads single six , first shotgun was an old win 37A youth model 20 ga
First centerfire rifle I ever shot was my beloved model 600 in 35 Rem at age 11 , thought that thing kicked like a mule way back then :)

mattw
01-16-2019, 11:35 AM
My first cartridge gun was a Winchester model 74. Finally wore it completely out, would hate to think how many 10's or 100's of thousands of rounds it has fired. Before that a Red Ryder!

flyingmonkey35
01-16-2019, 11:37 AM
BB gun then a 22lr blot action in scouts.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

JSnover
01-16-2019, 02:23 PM
A Remington 341 Sportsmaster, .22S/L/LR. I still have it.

Texas by God
01-16-2019, 06:32 PM
First pistol? A .41 Remington derringer ( two shots- both hit the pond I was aiming at!) First shotgun- Stevens m235 12 ga.hammer sxs- put me on my butt; Dad caught the gun. First rifle- Reminton 511.22 bolt action. First deer rifle- Winchester 30-30. I don't recall who owned the derringer but the others are still on the farm. I got the 30-30 and last year Jes made it a 38-55!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

trails4u
01-16-2019, 07:25 PM
1966 variety, if my memory serves me correct, Browning T-bolt. I was 10 and I spent an entire summer learning to shoot with my Scoutmaster. Had to have been thousands of rounds downrange, as his standards for the Rifle and Shotgun merit badge, and those of the BSA were, uh...let's just say, not even in the same universe!!
The old fart moved back to his home country (England) probably 20 years ago, and left the old Browning with me. Still my primary squirrel rifle, and the one that all three of my kids have learned to shoot with. They were a bit grumpy with the progression from irons, to a peep, to a scope, but they're all better shots today for it, as was I. :)

WheelgunConvert
01-16-2019, 07:36 PM
Red Rider

Iron Whittler
01-16-2019, 07:42 PM
My introduction to shooting was from my Grandpa. He gave me a red rider bb gun for Christmas. As I remember it, Mom and Grandma were not happy about it but Grandpa's word was final. Next Christmas he took me rabbit hunting. Grandpa let me use his 22 auto (I think it was a Rem.) and he used his shotgun. He spotted a rabbit next to a fence post, pointed it out to me. I started banging away only to jump it up after 3 or 4 shots. Grandpa stepped in to finish what I started. My dad got the rifle when Grandpa passed. Shortly the need of money for the young airman to support wife and family caused that 22 rifle to be sold. I was not a happy camper for quite a spell. Got me a paper route and carried papers in the snow and ice thru the winter and picked cotton in fall to earn enough money to buy a used Remington 510 target master single shot 22 rifle. I cannot start to say the count of rabbits, squirrels, snakes, turtles, and other game I will not mention. Still have it today fully restored. I still shoot it on occasion just to recall the times of yesteryear with Grandpa and Dad whom have both passed years ago. :Fire:

Tom W.
01-16-2019, 09:35 PM
Nice for y'all to ask us older people to remember such..

Other than a BB gun of some sort it was either a bolt action .410 or a .22 that my cousin owned.
I think. I do remember shortly thereafter at Christmas my parents bought me a Sears .22 bolt action that held 25 shorts, 20 longs, or 18 long rifles. I was in the 5th grade at the time.

dverna
01-16-2019, 11:15 PM
I was 7 or 8 years old. Dad was crazy about Pheasant hunting back then. I was allowed to tag along (in the rear of course) with my Daisey Model '94 BB Gun while he and his buddy Bill watched the dog work. Bill owned an Irish Setter named "Shamrock" that was one of the best and smartest bird dogs I've ever seen. Anybody ever tells you that Setters are all dumber than a box of rocks I would have to disagree. They always got their limit when "Sham" was out in front.

On the way back to the house I kept pestering Dad to let me shoot his gun. He finally gave in and located an old coffee can along the fenceline. He set it on the post and handed me his Winchester Mod. 1200 semi-auto after chambering just 1 round because he said shells were too expensive to waste. After he showed me how to push the safety off I drew a bead on the coffee can and peppered it. Hooked for life on anything that went bang.

4 or 5 years later I was twelve and going Pheasant hunting for real the very 1st time. Dad had wrote me a note excusing me from school for opening day of Pheasant season. We were sitting around the coffee table at Bill's house. I was fit to be tied while the men drank coffee and talked for what seemed like forever. All of a sudden "Sham" came over to Bill and laid his head on Bill's knee. He patted the dog on the head and kept talking. I watched the dog as he stared up at Bill for a few seconds, then barked once. That was all it took and it seemed like Bill realized the dog was loosing patience with him. I got in a lot of shooting that day thanks to that old Setter's skill. Sure wish I could relive that day just one more time.

The 1200 was a pump. The 1400 was the semi

Boomsticks Firearms
01-16-2019, 11:53 PM
The first gun I shot was when I was 15 my oldest half brother let me shot his FN-49 8mm Mauser that he bought at a store in Northwoods Mall in Charleston, SC in around the late 1980s. I was there with him when he bought it. I’ve been trying to buy it for him for years now but I bought a really nices FN-49 but mine is in 7mm Mauser about 2 years ago. His FN-49 is really good but mine looks like it is new and no it not one of the Century Arms put together ones that you see all over place. Mine is one of the Venezuela and my Bother’s is an Egyptian and both are all original

Brad Cayton
01-17-2019, 10:07 AM
Like many have said, my first was a Daisy BB lever rifle. It was a Christmas present when I was 7 and I went rabbit hunting with my Dad and a neighbor that Christmas day. Both of them would try to just cripple a rabbit with their shotguns so I could finish it with a BB to the head. I'll always remember that Christmas day:grin:. About the same time Dad started me shooting our Winchester model 67. It sat by the back door, always with a round in it, for the quick shot at a fox or crow on the farm. The old Winchester had been my great granddads and was handed down through the years. My brother owns it now and it will go to his son. It was used for killing butchering hogs, squirrel hunting and packed with a hay string sling on it on many coon hunts over the years. I couldn't guess how many rounds it had through it or how many different animals it has taken but it's been a bunch.

osteodoc08
01-17-2019, 10:42 AM
With the exception of a BB gun, probably a 22 rifle. As far as handguns go, I’m pretty confident it was my fathers Beretta 87 Target 22 while on a range in Germany as a kid. I also managed to get the muzzle behind the leather front rest and put a hole through it. Dad never let me forget every time we went shooting decades later! I miss him so much.

pworley1
01-17-2019, 11:13 AM
model 34 remington about 1960.

Wayne Smith
01-17-2019, 11:22 AM
Marlin 336 in 30-30 - Dad had bought it from his hired man, took it to a gunsmith in Bangor and had a scope mounted (the gunsmith heated and bent the hammer so it could be cocked) and set up a target atout 80yds away across the road (old metal sign painted). He would practice with it and I would watch, he shot groundhogs and deer. I must have been five or six when he let me shoot it. I still have it. A few years later we (my brother and I) got a Sears (Marlin) Safety Single Shot .22 rifle for Christmas and we used that.

eric123
01-17-2019, 05:32 PM
A Mossberg 353 if I recall correctly...Not counting BB guns's...

Scorpion8
01-17-2019, 06:15 PM
First gun I shot was a ...

Remington smooth-bore 22LR with the brass crimped-end shot shells at Goshen Scout Camp in western Virginia to earn my merit badge circa 1970. Moved on to get the rifle merit badge too.

robg
01-17-2019, 06:23 PM
BSA martini 22 rf target rifle my dad shot at bisley

Catch
01-17-2019, 10:39 PM
I was 10 and shot a rock on the ice on Grandma's pond with a Hopkins and Allen 25 Caliber rimfire falling block single shot. I hit it and I wish I had that gun now.............Catch

Oily
01-18-2019, 04:23 AM
Springfield SS my dad got me for Christmas when I was 10. Second was when I was 11 and got caught stealing my Dads cigarettes and was digging our septic lateral lines for punishment. My uncle showed up and (let) me shoot his 1903A3 with metal buttplate. He got a good laugh after 2 shots and I had enough. Shoulder bruised for 2 weeks LOL

cwlongshot
01-18-2019, 09:14 AM
IIRC it was my pops, mid 1950's Ruger Single Six 22 LR.

Shot on the power lines behind our trailer about 1968/9.

CW

Hickok
01-18-2019, 09:25 AM
A single shot .22, I believe it was a Stevens, that broke open like a Contender handgun, and had a hammer that you cocked.

It was my grand dad's, and was used for putting hogs down when it came time to butcher. Appropriately called the "hog rifle."

Got my first squirrel with that little rifle.

tdoor4570
01-18-2019, 09:35 AM
Age 6 mod 92 25-20 Winchester , different 22's up till age 11 when I went to an 1898 Springfield 30 U.S. army (30-40 Krag) which I still have.

mozeppa
01-18-2019, 09:56 AM
i was about 4 when my uncle let me pull the trigger on a 22 (don't know what kind.) and magically one of my lego bricks disappeared!...but i never got to shoulder the rifle.

then when i was 8...my family thought it would at least be funny if on my own i shot a 12 gauge (again don't know what kind, except it was a single shot.)

they didn't realize that i was a very quick study, and at 20 feet i was to shoot a 1 gallon empty paint can.
they were going to have a good laugh at my expense.

well i hit it dead center and blew it 40 feet away from where it was....and yes it knocked me on my donkey!
but nobody was laughing.

been hooked ever since.

leebuilder
01-18-2019, 06:44 PM
M1919 loaded with blanks, rock and roll belt fed.
Been hooked ever since.

357Mag
01-18-2019, 07:11 PM
Howdy !

Dad's Marlin M-39. First fired it 55yr ago.

Still have it.

With regards,
357Mag

UKShootist
01-18-2019, 07:15 PM
When I was about 6 years old (1955 ish) my father, then the Instructor for the Royal Navy shooting team took me to what must have been Century Range at the National Shooting Centre in Bisley (That's the UK BTW) where he handed me what was almost certainly a Webley .38 revolver for me to blast off in the general direction of the backstop. A lifetime memory. He'd likely get prosecuted for child cruelty nowadays!

Conditor22
01-18-2019, 07:22 PM
https://i.imgur.com/0dvaGol.png

Actually, it was an old cap fired muzzleloader. I helped my friend mix the powder in a mortar and pestle then cut and roll the lead balls on an anvil. a piece of foil from a pack cigarettes held the large cap in place and a toothpaste tube cap with a rubberband through it fot the safety (the rubberband pulled the toothpaste cap out of the way when you cocked the hammer.
You determined the load by haw far the ramrod stuck out the barrel, you kept adding powder until you got what you wanted.

photomicftn
01-18-2019, 07:40 PM
When I was 5 years old, my dad single loaded his Stevens .22 autoloader with a BB or CB cap. I fired it from a rest into a target 10 feet away.

Having enjoyed that, I then accompanied him to matches at the Blue Trail range in CT several times a year until we moved out of NY a few years later. I clearly recall working the pits when it was our turn, and enjoying the crack of multiple shots passing over us past the reservoir into the hill beyond. It seemed to me like being in a John Wayne movie.

One of our guys would always drop a round or two low, which of course he did when was looking up the first time I was there. What seemed like a shovel full of dirt came down on my head. Taught me to keep my head down. We didn't tell mom about *that* ;-)

Kevinakaq
01-18-2019, 08:53 PM
Stevens 15A .22LR single shot falling block (I think it's commonly called a Crackshot or Favorite) when I was about 4 years old shooting at cans sitting on fenceposts at my Grandparents farm. Still remember it well sixty years later. The birth of a gun nut thanks to my Dad.

Mine as well. Use to knock my fathers cans *cough* off a post shooting off a reversed kitchen chair with great regularity at 100 yards...must have been seven or so.

CastingFool
01-19-2019, 08:26 PM
I think I was about 12 or 13 when I first shot a gun. The 16 yr old I was paired with had his own. 22 and a 20 ga single shot. Shot both of them. Wasn't til I was 16 when I bought my own. 22, which I still have. Bought my 1st shotgun when I was 17, and had gotten a summer job where my dad worked. Did some research and bougth a Rem 1100 in 12 ga. With the gad operated system, there was little recoil, and I was able to shoot field loads one handed. Did that a number of times, just showing off. Eventually traded it off for a Rem 700 30-06, which I still have.

Schreck5
01-21-2019, 05:40 AM
Red Rider bb gun. Accounted for way too many sparrows to count. You could see the bb fly through the air. Hours of fun. Wnen I finally wore it out, I graduated to a .22 Browning takee down.

MajorDude
01-22-2019, 07:35 AM
Mine was a Winchester model 37 single shot 12 gauge. My Dad let me shoot it in the wood lot at the back of our farm. I was 7 years old. I was a big 7 year old but I remember it being quite unpleasant- didn’t know about keeping it tight to the shoulder! Dad’s long gone but that shotgun is in great shape in my gun room right now. You can still faintly see where it had the slip on rubber but pad that rotted away many years ago. Model 37s had no serial no.s!

stinjie
01-24-2019, 10:09 PM
At age 11 or 12 in the mid 1970's,I got tired of bb/pellet guns and got interested in black powder gun kits.After pestering my folks for months,got a New Orleans Ace pistol kit.44 caliber smooth bore,percussion cap.Got it assembled,polished and looking good.Aquired everything needed to fire it and we went to our camp in nw Pa. Poured in measured amount of powder,put a greased patch around a .441 dia. ball,rammed it down the barrel,put a cap in place and nervously aimed it into the woods.Huge "boom" and a big cloud of dense white smoke,hands shaking.Next thing I heard was my dad loudly holler"THAT'S IT,PUT THAT THING AWAY" I didn't argue at all.A .22 Glenfield rifle soon replaced the"Ace"

MaLar
01-25-2019, 01:30 AM
I had a BB gun when I was a kid cried my eyes out when I shot my first bird.
Laughed pretty hard when I shot the neighbors dog in the dangly bits as he was in our garbage cans.
Drug his hind end across the lawn on his way out.

First real gun I shot was my fathers SMLE #5 Mrk1. I inherited it when he passed.

ghh3rd
01-26-2019, 02:20 AM
Was a Boy Scout in Colorado in a troop on an Air Force base. We were doing some remote camping in the mountains when the Scout Master dug out his M1911 and allowed each of us to shoot at a beaver pond downhill. That was and still is one of my fondest childhood memories.

Always wanted one of those, but settled on a Walther PPQ 45 which I have become fond of.

Reverend Al
01-26-2019, 03:02 PM
The first rifle I ever fired was a Remington Fieldmaster 572 pump .22. I was 16 years old. It still stands out in my mind because it was a fairly scarce variation of those Remington rifles that had a set of very lightly coloured "honey" blond stocks with a brown anodized aluminum receiver. (Same as the one in the bottom of the photo.)

https://i.imgur.com/jm8wuGp.jpg

stubshaft
01-26-2019, 04:42 PM
Winchester Model 64 30/30...58 years ago.

Skunk1
01-26-2019, 06:38 PM

smokeywolf

Have one of those but not my first. Remington 510 targetmaster. Dad still has and will be in my home someday. Be given to one of my children.

broomhandle
01-27-2019, 12:48 AM
Hi All,

A good thread! Lots of good memory's!
My older cousins had a old Winchester 22 single shot their dad gave them.

The family rule was "If you could pull the bolt knob back, you were old enough to shoot it!"
It took me about a year to grow up a bit, to pull it back my two cousins taught me how to shoot,in their basement with 22 shorts!
About a year later in the summer, Mom & Dad took me on the subway to Coney island in Brooklyn NY.
I see a REAL shooting gallery! You could win a prize & have your picture taken. This was the early 50's the cost to shoot was big money at the time 25 cents for 1 shot as I recall! Dad would not spring for the money!
I used my 25 cent weekly allowance to shoot the BULLS-EYE!
I STILL have that picture! Mom & Dad had no idea, I knew how to shoot!

The BB guns were about a 10 cents for a tube of BB's
Seventy years later I'm still plinking away ! LOL

Enjoy every day,
broom

ulav8r
01-27-2019, 04:14 PM
The cheapest Daisy lever available, got it when I was 8. First real firearm was Dad's 870 12 guage, the only firearm he owned at the time.

Seeker
01-27-2019, 05:32 PM
1st? Winchester .22 single shot that my Grandma loaded for me when we were shooting cans off of her back porch. I was 7 yrs. old. 2nd I might add was a Win. double barreled 12 gauge, that my uncle said to "pull both triggers!" on as he threw the can up in the air. I ended up with a black eye and a bloodied nose on that one. I thought Grandma was gonna kill him. Ohh man, I wished I could go back and do it all over again.

edward hogan
03-21-2019, 01:43 PM
At about age 3 or 4, my uncle and dad drove us out to the Addicks dam spillway, way out Westheimer rd in Hou, Tx. About 10mi past the city limits in those days. I got to fire a .22 Woodsman from the car window.... Been hooked ever since.

onelight
03-21-2019, 04:59 PM
I had an uncle in Nebraska that had a farm and raised wallabies Pygmy goats and some other strange critters he was also a deputy sheriff and the assistant editor for a small town newspaper on his farm was an old silo he kept corn in that was infested with rats and birds he gave my cousin about 10 and me about 8 a baby browning 22 and a box of rat shot and we would spend hours in the silo shooting rats and birds we had a great time!

Pete44mag
03-21-2019, 05:25 PM
My first was a Stevens single shot .410 at 5 years old. It was my Dads rabbit gun. He used to say " if I can't get'em with one shot they deserve to live another day.". Was the first gun my son and daughter both shot. Take it out occasionally and shoot some skeet (not very well) to remember "TOM" (The Old Man). Wish I could go back 58 years!

Jedman
03-21-2019, 06:50 PM
I had a uncle that was a single guy forever and had lots of guns. At one time he lived in a trailer that was about a hundred yards off of Lake Erie and there was a water channel big enough for a small boat to access the lake right behind his trailer.
My dad only owned one gun, a Winchester 67 single shot 22 and I always wanted to shoot it but he always said I was to young and wasn't even allowed to touch it. I had a BB gun and knew a few safety rules and could hit things pretty good with it.
I pestered him ( his word ) relentlessly one day when I was 10-11 about shooting the 22 and he finally gave in. We went out to my uncles place were I could shoot it and it just happened to be when the channel was full of spawning carp. When I say full of I mean by the thousands along the bank with half of there bodies sticking up above the water. So my dad and my uncle watched as I shot those carp one after another. I was in carp killin heaven ! The bullets made a nice loud thump when you shot them fat bodied trash fish. Some of them were over 3 feet long and were not easily killed ! I would have been entertained for life shooting them but after a while my uncle put a end to it because he knew they would stink up the area and he wasn't about to go pick them up and the water was to deep to wade through so I didn't either.
I am pretty sure even then that shooting fish with a rifle was illegal but where he lived there wasn't anyone within a half mile and shooting was common.
After that I got to hunt squirrels with the 22 and shot carp with a bow and a barbed solid arrow.

I still have the rifle !

Jedman

Forty Rod Ray
03-21-2019, 07:46 PM
My first gun was my Grandfather's Md 36 Winchester, 9mm shotgun. He used it for vermin. I used to shoot dove with... I never killed many and none on the wing. My Dad put me near a dead tree and I actually knocked a few down. I had a game warden come on me . Not for my license (I had none) but to see what kind of gun I was shooting.

I did not know anything about anything. My Dad had been taking me when he went hunting.. I was a pick up boy . I did know that I had to be careful and Watch where I pointed and don't take any shot unless it was safe . Oh I did know one other thing , boy did I like shooting. As with every one here, there is more , much more... But all in all it's like the first kiss, some things are best sealed in memory...

MOA
03-21-2019, 07:51 PM
Single shot 22 at YMCA summer camp, and I was 8.

atr
03-21-2019, 10:21 PM
A Daisy BB gun was the first,

Walks
03-21-2019, 10:49 PM
A huge heavy Full-Stocked Mossberg Bolt Gun that had a 3/4" Scope on it. I was 4yrs yrs old. Guess My Dad got rid of it when I was about 10yrs old.
Rested it on an old aluminum chair back. Shot at soda cans, Dad helped hold it up. 5rd clip, hit 2 cans.

rbuck351
03-21-2019, 11:31 PM
When I was about 3 we lived on a farm. My dad had a Walthers 22 Olympic target pistol he had brought back from his adventures in WWII. One day he took the pistol out in the front yard to shoot a chicken for dinner and after popping one he set the gun down and went to plucking the chicken.
I toddled up behind him picked up the gun and said "me shoot". He whirled around just in time to get a 22 bullet through his pant leg. Missed his leg but that was the last time he left a loaded gun anywhere and the first time I shot a gun. I don't remember any of this but that's the story my dad told.

goryshaw
03-21-2019, 11:52 PM
Probably my dad's Red Ryder BB gun, I remember shooting it with my dad at around 9-10. First real firearm I remember was a 20 gauge for trap at a banking convention in Sun Valley ID with my dad when I was about 12-13.

LAGS
03-22-2019, 01:26 AM
The first gun I ever fired was my fathers .22 RL Harrington & Richardson 922 9 shot Pull Pin revolver .
I shot it for the first time when I was about 10 years old.
My father passed away in May of last Year.
The pistol is now mine.
It is in Mint condition
He still had it in the original Box With the receipt dated 9-18-1952 and the owners manual.
The pistol is a month older than I am.

Froogal
03-22-2019, 10:13 AM
First gun I fired was a Hubley cap gun. Second was a sawed off .410 single shot. My cousins were holding it single handed, like a pistol. I was 5 years younger and smaller. I tried the one handed technique. Pulled the trigger. Gun went boom and landed in the dirt behind me. We didn't play that game anymore that day

colt38sp
03-22-2019, 10:21 AM
Ruger 22LR Single-Six at age 8.

RJM52
03-22-2019, 10:40 AM
BB gun...Daisy 1894...age 8
Pellet gun...PIC .177...age 10
.22 rifle...not sure age but was one of the Winchester .22 Short Gallery Special Pumps at the carnival...
Handgun...S&W M14...age 14
Shotgun...Stevens single shot 12 ga....14
Centerfire rifle...Remington 700 .30-06...16

sailcaptain
03-22-2019, 10:59 AM
Back when I was 12 years old, my father had to take the garbage to the town dump. I remember it being a deep hole surrounded by hills of composted waste.
After we emptied our truck into the hole we would pull the International Harvester Truck around the back and shoot rats.
You could always hear the sound of Gun fire around the area.
My first gun...my grandfathers Remington No. 4 Rolling Block.
One shot, one kill. It sharpened my eye for all the target and hunting I did and still do in later life.
Great times and a community service. Don't think I could pull that off today though.

edward hogan
03-22-2019, 01:20 PM
Not first time, but still Very Memorable... We were up at another uncle's ranch in E. Tx; I was about 4. My uncle took me one night to the barn to shoot rats that were in the hay he had stored there. He had a Colt .357 Magnum, first model and a flashlight. Lots of noise and fun! The rats were in the corn cribs, but roamed in the hay... It was a great pistol with a 6" barrel. Great balls of fire, literally in the dark. Killed a few rats, too~!

Der Gebirgsjager
03-22-2019, 03:03 PM
I honestly can't remember. It might have been my dad's service Colt Official Police .38 Special somewhere around age 8, with a wadcutter, or my Stevens Mod. 15-A single shot .22 L.R. rifle received as a Christmas gift at age 12. Either way, there were several years of BB gun in between.

MDC
03-22-2019, 03:34 PM
First was a Daisy Red Ryder that I got for Christmas around age 8. Next was about age 10, my dad got me a Belgium made Browning T-bolt. Loved that gun but it was stolen when my house was broken in to.
Learned to dove hunt with a Mossberg 410 bolt action single shot

EDG
03-24-2019, 11:05 PM
a junky sewer pipe Model 12C Remington pump.

My uncle helped me hold it out at about 45 degrees pointing down while I pulled the trigger to shoot a .22 short into the dirt in the back yard of my grandparents farm house. I was about 4 and I knew I would never be big enough to hold up such a cannon by myself.

Arkansas Paul
03-24-2019, 11:09 PM
An old .410 break action.
I was 7 years old.

gunauthor
03-25-2019, 11:18 AM
I first shot my grandfather's 410 and was so impressed he said I could have it after he died. He passed away a few months later and I became a gun owner at age four.

fatboy
03-25-2019, 11:33 AM
daisy BB gun, earlier than i can remember. then got an ithica single shot lever action .22 for my 12th birthday.

C-dubb
03-30-2019, 09:07 AM
.22 H&R 9 shot DA pistol. I was about 5 years old and Dad had just bought it. I wanted to shoot it so stupidly Dad cocked it and proceeded to hand it to me butt first. I still remember reaching out and yanking the trigger. The gun went off and actually left powder burns on my dads hand and shot a hole in his T shirt.
Dad turned white as a ghost and Mom yelled at me. Dad told me that he was fine and that it was totally his fault.
He was only 25 years old and I guess a little careless then (weren't we all).
That was 50 years ago and I can still remember it like it was yesterday.
That gun is now in my safe and every time I get it out I have to tell that story to whomever is around.

9mmskng
03-31-2019, 08:41 AM
My Dad’s ‘68 Colt Python/6”bbl, I was 7yrs old! He held it around me, full house mag load, AWESOME! Hence my love for handguns for the past 50yrs, Thanks Dad!

458mag
03-31-2019, 12:29 PM
Ithaca Super 66 410 break open with finger lever. I was about 7 and it was my first squirl hunting venture with my father. That was 54 years ago and I still have that shotgun.

DxieLandMan
03-31-2019, 02:02 PM
Aside from a BB gun, I remember shooting my dad's 12 Gauge Winchester at an oil can around when I was 6 or 7. Held the gun up for me and I shot it and the recoil knocked me back into dad's arms.

scattershot
04-13-2019, 10:40 AM
I remember it like it was yesterday. It was was actually about 65 years ago, though. I shot my Dad’s Luger that he brought home after the war. I remember putting three holes in the lid of a Mr. Peanut can nailed to a tree. Been hooked ever since.

Hickory
04-13-2019, 11:03 AM
I think I was 7 years old, New Years. I stayed up to midnight because my dad said that he would let me shoot his S&W 38 s&w lemon squeezer. I thought it was the most powerful gun ever made.

GunGuy2756
04-13-2019, 12:09 PM
My Dad's 1955 vintage Marlin 39. It now resides in my safe and holds many pleasant memories for me.

wallacem
08-08-2019, 08:49 AM
First real gun I shot was Dad's Savage 12ga auto shotgun he brought home from the navy when I was 2 yrs old. Shot it at around 12 myself, squirrel hunting. Shortly after he bought me a Stevens 20 ga single shot. About a year later, around 13, I had a paper route and my own money, and bought a Winchester mod 67 22 rifle from the local pawn shop, used for $10. Wish I still had them both but let my brother have the 20 ga and he sold it 50 years ago, and let a cousin have the 22 and he destroyed it. Wallacem in Ga

Paul D. Heppner
08-11-2019, 09:00 PM
My fathers Remington 121 Fieldmaster 22. Still have it. I think I was 5 years old so that would be 1956. Couldn't begin to take a guess at the number of squirrels and rabbits that gun and I brought home. Lots of vermin too. It has also traveled a lot of miles on the trap line.

Txcowboy52
08-12-2019, 05:27 PM
My dads Glenfield .22 rifle I was probably 6 or 7 at the time , then shortly there after a .22 RG revolver also my dads , we were under a bridge on the Pecos river , to this day I don't remember ever shooting anything so loud !! lol