PDA

View Full Version : substitute for sp primers?

corey012778
01-19-2013, 06:16 PM
i got the bright idea to start reloading for 9mm luger and for 40s&w a month ago. I was able to find 1600 federal primers (1100 match and 500 reg.). well, after loading my first 100 rounds of 9mm, I already know that was not going to be enough to keep the two guns feed.

two option I am looking into.

sp magnum primers, good news I have not started working loads, one places had 3 bricks on hand last I check (a week ago, mostly gone now).

small rifle primers, but have read that a they are a few .001's longer then SP primers.

what options do I have?

Bwana
01-19-2013, 06:53 PM
Small rifle and small pistol primers are the same height. Do a search on magnum small pistol primers as this has been covered here many times. The only problem with using small rifle primers is that you may or may not have ignition problems due to thicker/harder cups. I do not reccomend using small rifle primers for self defense loads.

corey012778
01-19-2013, 07:56 PM
I have done the search for the magnum small pistol primers. with no existing load work up. that is why it a big option for me.

Any Cal.
01-20-2013, 10:03 PM
Small rifle primers were problematic for me, but I guess it depends on the gun... some have better primer strike than others. I use the Mag when they are what is available.

Love Life
01-20-2013, 11:56 PM
Start at the minimum charge, or a tad bit lower, and work up from there with the SPM primers. Back in 2008/2009 I laid into a large stock of magnum primers of all varieties because that is all they had. No issues experienced. Just work up and reload smartly and you will be fine. If you reference several load manuals you can find charts that show the amount of pressure added between primer types and brands. That helps as well when working with magnum primers to stay within the correct pressures.

MT Gianni
01-21-2013, 12:27 AM
Some of the DAO triggers may not strike hard enough for a SR primer.

bobthenailer
01-21-2013, 01:46 PM
Ive substatuted small pistol mag & small rifle primers in place of the normaly used small pistol primer on a few occasions with no problems , just work up the load with that primer /powder combo to obtain a safe and accurate load combo !
The only down fall is a light firing pin strick on some pistols but mainly revolvers that have had the hammer/main springs changed to a reduced power level.

pdawg_shooter
01-21-2013, 02:46 PM
Been using SR instead of SP In my 38s and .357s for about the last 20 years. Always worked fine for me. Backed my loads off 15% and worked up to the same velocity.

EDIT; I also use LR in my 44mag (model 29 S&W) after cutting the primer pocket to the correct depth. Same method on load work up.

Bwana
01-21-2013, 06:09 PM
Been using SR instead of SP In my 38s and .357s for about the last 20 years. Always worked fine for me. Backed my loads off 15% and worked up to the same velocity.

EDIT; I also use LR in my 44mag (model 29 S&W) after cutting the primer pocket to the correct depth. Same method on load work up.

44man will be along shortly.