PDA

View Full Version : Handgun Shipping Cost

Uncle Grinch
01-19-2013, 02:33 PM
I sold a handgun on another forum and shipped it FedEx. The clerk asked if it was a firearm as it was being shipped to a gunsmith business. Man was I floored by the cost. They require overnight next day delivery and it was over $80.

That was a forth of the cost of the gun. I sure lost out on that deal. No more handgun sales for me

ReloaderFred
01-19-2013, 03:04 PM
FedEx rips on the handgun shipping costs. My last one was $84.00, and that was from the state next door.

You can sometimes save if the business you're shipping to has a business account with FedEx, and is willing to send a Pick Up Notice and label. They get a discounted rate and you may be able to save a few dollars.

Hope this helps.

Fred

44man
01-19-2013, 03:43 PM
Overnight air is why plus more profit. Long ago I worked for an airline and guns were just common, pallets of them from Glock, etc. Too many were stolen in storage so they now need shipped right away. The box is never out of sight. But $80 is extreme.
Thieves are smart. One time parts of shipments were missing so the cargo was watched as it was loaded in carts to the plane, every carton checked. Then carts were followed to plane side where cargo was checked again to find stuff was missing. Now the driver is on a tractor ahead of carts and they never stopped to the plane. No boxes on the ground or falling out because curtains were closed and the supervisors following seen nothing. It was never figured out!
High value cargo like guns were locked in a caged area but they vanished none the less.
What I liked to steal was those big California strawberries, reach through the nets and grab a few! :mrgreen:

pietro
01-19-2013, 04:57 PM
While FEDEX & UPS initiated their own (private) regs mandating "Next Day Air" for handguns (@ $50+ extra charge), there IS a less-expensive way.

USPS (U.S. Post Office) has what they call a "Flat Rate Box", available in 4-5 sizes, FREE @ the lobby or counter - in which they will mail anything that will fit inside, anywhere in the US (up to 70lbs) for $495 to $13.95, depending upon the box size.

NO, a non-FFL, private citizen is barred form mailing a handgun via USPS (regs) - but an FFL-holder is not...............

There's no law against a non-FFL obtaining a USPS Flat Rate Box of a size appropriate for mailing their handgun, inserting the wrapped/padded handgun & having their friendly FFL mail it.

FWIW, I've been doing so, since USPS initiated the Flat Rate Box system, several years ago - and my friendly FFL charges me $10 over the postage ($5 - $14 + 10 = $25 max) to mail it when he goes to the P.O. for his daily mail run.

If anyone's FFL refuses, or charges a lot more, shop around - there's plenty of FFL's out there, who wouldn't mind a little "free" money, for doing next to nothing.

I include that known cost into my selling price.

Tatume
01-19-2013, 07:40 PM
There's no law against a non-FFL obtaining a USPS Flat Rate Box of a size appropriate for mailing their handgun, inserting the wrapped/padded handgun & having their friendly FFL mail it.

+1 The FFL has to fill out a form to send handguns in the mail. Insured Priority Mail is the safest way to mail, for about $10.

tomme boy
01-19-2013, 07:41 PM
You can send it second day for half that price. I always take it apart and send it as "machined parts" I was even told to do this by two separate pistol manufacturers. Thats how they do it.

Uncle Grinch
01-19-2013, 11:51 PM
You bet your bippy, I won't do it again. Much too expensive.

Nice to know the "tricks".

DennisMcharold
01-20-2013, 03:53 AM
USPS through FFL is still the cheapest way. I just bought a pistol from out of state and the seller went through UPS. It cost him around $100.

wool1
01-20-2013, 04:52 AM
I charge 10 to $20 over actual cost with insurance, depending on circumstances. The USPS is the easiest and least painful way to ship. If the postmaster is unsure of procedure, there is a USPS form needed to be filled out and kept by the postmaster. I keep a copy for my records, (cma file). I was advised to not make any identifying marks on the outside of the box. Even abbreviate firearms or gunshop out of the address. Just wanted to share some of my experience.

Uncle Grinch
01-20-2013, 10:41 AM
I've often wondered about taking the "gunsmith or firearms" name out of the address. Seems to me to be an open invitation to problems.