PDA

View Full Version : How to remove an Ishapore 2A1 Rear Sight Base?

Gray Fox
01-19-2013, 02:20 PM
Some time next week I'm picking up an Ishapore 2A1 7.62. It has already been Bubba'd to the extent that it has an ATI composite stock on it, so I don't want to start another don't desecrate a military rifle flame. The bore is supposed to be in great shape and it apparently headspaces OK since the guy has shot it with no complaints.

I have mid-60s eyes and I'd like to learn how to remove the rear sight base so I could replace it with an XS Clifton Scout Mount. Can anyone here explain the way it's done? If this is not reasonably possible I'll have to replace the basic 800 meter open sight with one of the Mojo aperture sights.

Thanks in advance, GF

Mk42gunner
01-20-2013, 12:14 AM
There is a cross pin that needs to be driven out, then IIRC the rear sight can be driven from the barrel. It has been a while since I replaced the Bubba'd base on mine with one from a No1 Mark III.

Robert

01-20-2013, 10:55 AM
Gray Fox,
I did one long ago and when I set the replacement scout scope base in, I was concerned about the possibility of movement of the base. The one I put in was held in place by a cross pin and two opposing set screws that "rocked" the base up and down to grossly set the elevation. Once in the ballpark, so to speak, you set the two set screws tightly to hold the base at elevation. I did all that and then once tightly set, I drilled a small hole all the way through the base and old rear sight fixture to set another roll pin. That additional roll pin made absolutely certain that the base would never move. Worked for me. Just FYI. Good luck.