PDA

View Full Version : Need A New Mold

1bluehorse
01-19-2013, 01:21 PM
I would like to get a new mold or two in .432 for my SBH. Who would you suggest and what weights and bullet would you suggest......I'm thinkin one at 250ish and one 300, whata ya think??? Guess I'll need a new sizer die for the Star also, have two .430's but will have to change them out for .432's. :Fire:

MT Chambers
01-19-2013, 09:12 PM
Both LBT and Accurate make top notch molds for heavy hitters, I have a wonderful 4 cav. LBT that makes a 280 gr LFN GC.

MtGun44
01-19-2013, 09:58 PM
250 Keith style works well in all my .44 mags.

Bill

Blammer
01-19-2013, 10:59 PM
I'd go 200gr and 260gr.

1bluehorse
01-20-2013, 02:42 PM
250 Keith style works well in all my .44 mags.

Bill

I have two Keith style, an Ideal 429244 (gc) and an RCBS 44-245-SWC-PB....if I remember correctly the GC one fully dressed with WW runs right at 270gr. and the RCBS PB is 260(ish).....both very nice molds and make good bullets BUT they run .430 and I never had very good luck through my old 3screw that has .432 throats. Bore has been firelapped and has no constriction and is a hair over .429.....

MtGun44
01-21-2013, 02:55 AM
No offense, but 429244 is NOT a Keith style for two reasons. One Keith hated GCs and never
used them and very often wrote how unnecessary they are in .44 mag, and I agree. Second,
the nose is not to his liking and neither are the lube grooves and crimp grooves. This is a
Thompson design, and while a SWC like a Keith is very different in concept from what
Keith wanted.

Beagle the 245 RCBS up to .432 and try it. Is it a GC mold?

The RCBS 44-250-K is a wonderful Keith variant and I would highly recommend it.

Bill

1bluehorse
01-21-2013, 03:22 PM
No offense, but 429244 is NOT a Keith style for two reasons. One Keith hated GCs and never
used them and very often wrote how unnecessary they are in .44 mag, and I agree. Second,
the nose is not to his liking and neither are the lube grooves and crimp grooves. This is a
Thompson design, and while a SWC like a Keith is very different in concept from what
Keith wanted.

Beagle the 245 RCBS up to .432 and try it. Is it a GC mold?

The RCBS 44-250-K is a wonderful Keith variant and I would highly recommend it.

Bill

I appreciate the info....I was a bit lax in description with my "Keith Type" I reckon, should of just said SWC...."type". I've read about beagling molds, haven't tried it, how the heck you keep them from finning escapes me though, I had a mold once that was a bit off and it finned like crazy. Was gonna just scrap it til I got to looking real close and found just a bit of lead in one of the pin holes. Cured...It's worth a shot though...thanks

MikeS
01-21-2013, 06:15 PM
Accurate Molds should be able to make any style/size boolit you want. His moulds are top notch, the only moulds that compare are NOE, and Mihec. Mihec's clone of the H&G 503 would be the perfect boolit for a .44, it weighs right around 255gr. look in the swap & sell forum to see if anyone has one for sale, or maybe Mihec might make a rerun of it. For a heavier boolit, check NOE's website to see what he has in stock, or check Accurate Molds website, all his moulds are made to order, so there's no waiting, or checking to see if it's in stock, he'll make anything you want (within reason), and you'll have lots of options, mould material, number of cavities, diameter of the as cast boolit (with your alloy), etc. so looking at Accurate's online catalog is kind of like leaving a kid in the candy store!

ShooterAZ
01-21-2013, 06:33 PM
I have recently discovered that the Round Flat boolits shoot much better for me in my 44's than Keith types. Might have a look at some of those. I just got a 4 cavity NOE mold 432-200-RF, and it is the most accurate boolit I have tried yet. I am sizing them to .431.

1bluehorse
01-21-2013, 07:28 PM
Thanks fellas, thats the info I was looking for... I'll look at those sites mentioned... as far as bullet type, I like the RNFP also, but style wise it will have to already a proven design, no way I can design a bullet. Now I just have to decide on weight, and I'm thinking anywhere between 240 and 300 would be most excellent. Probably have to do two....like I said in the beginning, 250ish and 300ish...:-D

MikeS
01-21-2013, 08:27 PM
1bluehorse: don't let the idea that Accurate Molds is a custom mould maker get to you. He has a complete catalog of designs he's either made, or designed for others. If you see a design you like, you can either order it as it is, or if there's something you want to change on it, you can email Tom, and he'll make the changes you ask for (if they're changes he can do, and that make sense), add it to his catalog as a new item, and then you can order it. When you order a mould from Accurate, you fill in on the order form what alloy you'll be using, what diameter you need/want, and when you get it, it will be right. The whole process is easier than it sounds, just go to his website, it will explain all.

rlb
01-21-2013, 09:26 PM
You might also look at Mountain Molds. He has a program that you can design your own bullet and he will build it. Wasn't the so called Keith bullet a Phil Sharpe design to begin with?