PDA

View Full Version : Moving Possibility

Scrounger
07-12-2007, 09:53 PM
The company my nephew works for is relocating to New Braunfels, Texas, and since he still needs my help with his kids, I may end up there also. At this point in life, one place is as good as another, and actually being needed is an unexpected bonus for an old fart that no one ever had any use for...
I realize there is an inherent danger in asking Texans to tell you about their state but I figure I can find out things that aren't on Google or Wikipedia. What's that part of the country like? Any odd gun laws I might run into? I know there are a lot of Texans on the forum, to name a few, there's Wills and the famous--or is it infamous--Carpetman. They will probably tell me more than I want to know about sheep but maybe some other information will come out. What's the weather like?

David R
07-12-2007, 10:16 PM
Scrounger, I have not been around here much, but I love your aviator. Alfred E. Newman!

Good luck with the move.

David

felix
07-12-2007, 10:37 PM
Nice location. German heritage, conservative. Texas in general is based upon fee-for-fun. That includes just about everything, including shooting somewhere. Leases galore. Weather is hot in summers, but usually on the dry side when compared to Houston where I lived for 12 years. Good doctors and hospitals for the most part. Home of Control mounts, the best in my opinion, and that's not a humble one. Must learn the texas two step to really fit in with the culture. Beer joints are top notch. Probably, the best all around spot in Texas to live. ... felix

454PB
07-13-2007, 12:24 AM
I know very little about Texas, I was there last 48 years ago. However, I think it's very noble of you to move to help your family:drinks:

Scrounger
07-13-2007, 12:53 AM
I claim no nobility, it is what families do and I really have nothing better to do.

carpetman
07-13-2007, 03:01 AM
Ok you want to know stuff that you wont find on Google. I knew a girl that had relatives in New Braunfels and as felix mentioned they were German. A Mexican guy told me that it's pretty much German or Mexican there---don't know percentages. Anyways this girl I knew always brought back home made pickles when she went there and they were the best pickles I ever ate. I dont recall her name so I dont know how you would locate her family to get their pickles. Then again,you may not even like pickles,so it wouldn't matter. I would also guess there are others there that make good pickles.

Scrounger
07-13-2007, 09:38 AM
Possibly these?

wills
07-13-2007, 09:52 AM
New Braunfels is nice.

Untoward affection toward sheep is unlawful.

Here is a club; I personally have never shot there. http://silhouette-texas.us

To buy a firearm from a dealer you have to go through the usual federally mandated rigmarole.

If the guy is not a dealer, you give him the money and he gives you the gun.

Firearms ownership is not mandatory, but we are working on it.

RugerFan
07-13-2007, 10:56 AM
I lived a couple hours north of there for 7 years. You would be close to San Antonio and that is a nice area with plenty to do. There is also a reasonably priced hunting ranch to the west called “Thompson Temples Texas Wildlife” (http://www.thompsontemple.texaswildlife.net/). I hunted there a couple times with my son and friends and had a blast. Took a couple of nice Corsican rams.

NVcurmudgeon
07-13-2007, 12:12 PM
My last trip to Texas was for dreadful family reasons. The only bright spot on the whole trip was what Texans call "The Hill Country" which I think includes Austin, Fredericksburg, Johnson City, New Braunfels, and down to San Antonio. Nice country, much of interest to see, and great people. (Texans are great in all parts of their state, but geographically my favorite is the Hill Country.)

monadnock#5
07-13-2007, 01:26 PM
My Pop was drafted into the Army in the early fifties. I don't remember how many bases he was posted to, but it was at least a half dozen. He was in San Diego, all set to go to Korea when the war ended, and then got bounced aroung the country like a pinball. I do remember clearly though, him saying that his best memories of Army life was from the time he spent at Ft. Sam Houston, in or near San Antonio.

Scrounger
07-13-2007, 01:44 PM
I believe this was a line from Higgins (In real life a Texan) in Magnum PI:

"Never ask a man where he's from; If he's a Texan, he]ll tell you right out; If he isn't, you don't want to embarrass him..."

Scrounger
07-13-2007, 01:48 PM
on the other hand i have been told (by a texan mind you) that if it wern't for oklahoma cowboys and the mexican lady's there would be no texans

I heard a similar claim, involving Montana cowboys and sheep.

onceabull
07-13-2007, 01:53 PM
With the Mrs. last remaining relatives living in New Braunfels,it's been the single most common Texas destination for us this past decade..Those folks lost their first retirement home there to the Guadalupe R. ,took the insurance $ ,built further away,sold the land,foundation and framing to optimists,who lost their dream place 4-5 years later. Two hundred year floods in 5 years.. The best region in Texas for us--(the Band from New Braunfels west to Mountain Home,North to Marble Falls, South to Bandera) Try It, I think you will like it..:-D Onceabull P.S> And, remember "It don't matter who's in Austin, Bob Wills is still the king"

txbirdman
07-13-2007, 03:08 PM
Texas has liberal hunting season--dove starts Sept. 1 with quail ending Feb 15. About that time spring turkey season opens. Also has favorable concealed carry laws. Also you can carry a handgun in your vehicle legally without a permit if you a legally eligible to own a handgun. If you're in driving distance of any of the larger metro areas there's probably a gunshow somewhere at least once a month. Lots of public lakes but the hunting will cost you unless you know someone with private land and then it could cost you anyway.

Scrounger
07-13-2007, 03:33 PM
Thanks,everyone, for all the information. Sounds good to me but nothing is for certain yet. The only "hunting" I do is for varmints, prarie dogs and the like. I always say that's not hunting, it's just killing, but I do enjoy it. Fishing sounds good, I'd like to get back into that. Moving, if I do, will be a royal pain, but I'm sorta looking forward to living there.

Ernest
07-13-2007, 06:03 PM
You are moving into the Hill country and I think you are going to be very happy there. You will be very close to San Antonio. I don't think you will have any fire arms related problems at all except you will probably buy too many at the assorted gun shows.

I hope you move. It always good to have another cast bullet shooter on board!

nighthunter
07-13-2007, 06:17 PM
Scrounger ... I get to Waco fairly often and I see you are only about 2 hours south of there. I have a gut feeling that you and I are going to meet. I definately don't want to meet any of Carpetman's to date list in your area. I hope we get to have coffee or whatever in the future.
Nighthunter

wills
07-13-2007, 07:27 PM
I believe this was a line from Higgins (In real life a Texan) in Magnum PI:

"Never ask a man where he's from; If he's a Texan, he]ll tell you right out; If he isn't, you don't want to embarrass him..."

That is an old saying here.

On the way to New Braunfels, detour by and visit the Carpetman. Maybe y'all can have a plate of cat nachos.

Scrounger
07-13-2007, 08:03 PM
That is an old saying here.

On the way to New Braunfels, detour by and visit the Carpetman. Maybe y'all can have a plate of cat nachos.

Do you think what he has is catching???

Scrounger
07-13-2007, 08:08 PM
Sounds like enough in that area to arrange a meeting at a gun show. IF I move...

StanDahl
07-14-2007, 02:22 AM
If you're going to buy, consider this: My dad and his wife just moved to the Austin area, and from what I understand, there is no state tax, but they more than make up for it with the property taxes. I thought my property taxes were high at $3,000/yr, but I know some in my area that bought more recently for way more, and they are paying $8,000/yr for the same size lot/house.

My dad is going from tiny pre-prop 13 property taxes in CA to around $25,000/yr in TX. One of them is going to have to get a job just to be able to retire to TX. In a few years they will probably trade the palace on an acre and a half they bought with half the money they got for their CA house for something smaller.

wills
07-14-2007, 09:09 AM
If you're going to buy, consider this: My dad and his wife just moved to the Austin area, and from what I understand, there is no state tax, but they more than make up for it with the property taxes. I thought my property taxes were high at $3,000/yr, but I know some in my area that bought more recently for way more, and they are paying $8,000/yr for the same size lot/house.

My dad is going from tiny pre-prop 13 property taxes in CA to around $25,000/yr in TX. One of them is going to have to get a job just to be able to retire to TX. In a few years they will probably trade the palace on an acre and a half they bought with half the money they got for their CA house for something smaller.

Your taxes will vary. The highest property tax is usually the school tax. Check the tax rates before you buy. It will be different for each school district.

Tax Rates here in Fayette County
GFA FAYETTE COUNTY 0.268900
RFM ROAD AND BRIDGE 0.139500
SLG LA GRANGE ISD 1.402500
WFC FAYETTE CO GWCD 0.007500
Total Tax Rate: 1.8184

To pay $25,000 taxes, your property value would be something like $1,374,835

Ranch Dog
07-14-2007, 10:42 AM
Like others have said Scrounger, you will enjoy the area and like the gun/hunting friendly culture. The city sits on the edge of the Edwards Plateau which runs roughly west of I-35. Based on your present location, you might like the property on the west side of that highway, it's flat on the other. You will be living within minutes of some of the highest concentration of whitetail deer in this country. If you live in the country, deer will be a pest.

You will find a place to hunt, more than likely a hunting lease. Usually, there are some pretty good finds for fellows that live in the actual good hunting areas. For instance, even though I own my own place I still lease additional property. I lease 200 unbelievable acres for only $500 a year. We have a very long hunting season and it's money well spent. Take the time to fit in with a shooting club or similar group and you will find an opportunity. Texans are very friendly. There are also some very good public hunting opportunities in that area but they face the same pressures or permits other areas of the country face.

If you move, I will throw in a free hog hunt just to show you the ropes and how to avoid everything that stings or sticks down here. I live about 1 hour South of NB where the brush country meets the coastal plains. Just follow the Guadalupe River! It will cost you an Area 51 story!

Scrounger
07-14-2007, 11:48 AM
Well, thanks, Gary. I'm really not much of a hunter but for some reason a hog hunt does sound like a lot of fun and I have enough lever guns to cover just about any size hog. Now with barbecue instructions from bigSlick, I'll be in "HogHeaven", pardon the expression.

carpetman
07-14-2007, 12:11 PM
The figures Stan Dahl posted for property taxes are much higher than I have ever seen. Don't know what area that would be in. Mine run about $1200 per year. Certainly nothing fancy,3 bedroom,double car garage typical house I guess. They will go down when I reach 65. Hunting is getting higher priced all time--very little public land--all private. Fishing is year around,many go in for bass fishing. My favorite is crappie fishing and the catfishing is good too. You are correct now that I think about it,I do eat a lot of cats.

Scrounger
07-14-2007, 12:37 PM
The figures Stan Dahl posted for property taxes are much higher than I have ever seen. Don't know what area that would be in. Mine run about $1200 per year. Certainly nothing fancy,3 bedroom,double car garage typical house I guess. They will go down when I reach 65. Hunting is getting higher priced all time--very little public land--all private. Fishing is year around,many go in for bass fishing. My favorite is crappie fishing and the catfishing is good too. You are correct now that I think about it,I do eat a lot of cats.

I have been looking for your cat jerky in the stores but I guess you're sending it all to KoreaTown in CA... If this move comes off, I definitely want to get up to San Angelo to meet you. People keep asking me if you're for real.

wills
07-14-2007, 02:07 PM
Chamber of commerce http://www.newbraunfels.com/
Comal County Appraisal District: property values and taxes
http://www.comalad.org
the actual tax records are at
http://clientdb.trueautomation.com/clientdb/main.asp?id=35
We first saw our place here: http://www.txls.com/region_select.asp?mode=property_search

wills
07-14-2007, 02:45 PM
If you move, I will throw in a free hog hunt just to show you the ropes and how to avoid everything that stings or sticks down here. I live about 1 hour South of NB where the brush country meets the coastal plains. Just follow the Guadalupe River! It will cost you an Area 51 story!

If you hurry you can get there in time for the Turkey Trot!
http://www.turkeyfest.org/images/old-turks-main-2.jpg

http://www.turkeyfest.org/schedule.shtml

Ranch Dog
07-14-2007, 07:19 PM
My dad is going from tiny pre-prop 13 property taxes in CA to around $25,000/yr in TX.

He must be buying a millon $ home. I've been out of the a major city for over 10 years now so I might be missing something. Somebody's got to pay to take care of all those Katrina victims :roll:

I live on a heck of a place. It's only 120-acres with a home, barns, and other nice things. My annual property taxes are less than $1000 a year. I have an ag exemption on 119 of the acres, what's called a "1-D-1", and I take care of the deer... no livestock.

StanDahl
07-14-2007, 09:08 PM
To pay $25,000 taxes, your property value would be something like $1,374,835

Yep, that's about right, maybe more. I'm not sure why though. They got the property for less than 200k, and the house they are building (5,500 sq ft.) is costing less than $400k, I would think that they'd go by those numbers, but maybe it's assessed by square footage? The property is just outside of Austin, (Cedar Park) and they are assessed at 2.7%, which is down from 2.9% not long ago. I couldn't get a lot out of my dad when I called him, it doesn't seem to be something he enjoys discussing. (Apparently my stepmom knew about it, but didn't disclose that detail until they were in escrow. :shock:)

wills
07-14-2007, 10:46 PM
Williamson County Tax Rates
http://www.wcad.org/2006%20ENTITY%20INFOR%20%20TAX%20RATE.pdf

carpetman
07-16-2007, 06:22 AM
Scrounger--If you move,don't buy a $1,345,697.62 house in an exclusive community or you might be paying $25,000 per year in taxes. Man I wonder what kind of tires they put on a $1,345,697.62 house.

9.3X62AL
07-16-2007, 02:03 PM
Michelins, I'm sure. I would settle for nothing less.

Scrounger
07-16-2007, 03:10 PM
QUOTE=carpetman;202746]Scrounger--If you move,don't buy a $1,345,697.62 house in an exclusive community or you might be paying $25,000 per year in taxes. Man I wonder what kind of tires they put on a $1,345,697.62 house.[/QUOTE]
A house like that probably comes with sheep, don't it, Ray?

wills
07-18-2007, 08:16 PM
Scrounger, just don’t worry about the sheep. There are plenty of sheep in Texas. Carpetman hasn’t rounded up all the sheep. You move on down here. You’ll be able to get all the sheep you want!