PDA

View Full Version : Powder Measures best for Unique

afish4570
01-19-2013, 02:10 AM
Never used much Unique but plan to use a recently purchased pound to try in my Lyman 55 or Redding Powder measure for my 38 Spec. or 9mm. I hear it doesn't flow thru measures as well as other powders, bridges--making light charges etc. Anyone give me any precautions...afish4570:Fire::Fire:

Wayne Smith
01-19-2013, 09:24 AM
The only one of my powder measures that is reliable with Unique is my Belding and Mull. It is a powder reseivour that dumps into a measure, so it is obvious if the measure isn't full. The longer, narrower of a neck the powder flows through the more likely it will bridge.

r1kk1
01-19-2013, 10:06 AM
Dillon, Quick Measure, and Charge Master work well with Unique.

Take care

r1kk1

drklynoon
01-19-2013, 10:37 AM
I use a Lyman 55 for Unique a lot. I had to polish my drop tube and it could probably use some graphite as well. It measures ok. I do get 1/10 variations and I glance in each case before I push a boolit in it. The only problem I have with the 55 is that somedays I cannot stop it from drifting (usually lighter.) I've bought a Lyman accumeasure (much like the little dandy) and am in the process of fine tuning the rotors I got for Unique and trailboss loads. It throws exceptionally consistent.

doulos
01-19-2013, 11:01 AM
Ive only used Unique with a Lyman 55, RCBS Uniflow and a Dillion. I use quite a bit of Unique. Ive found that is very beneficial to keep your hopper at least 1/2 to 3/4 full at all times and dont be adverse to tapping the hopper. With the Lyman I used the little knocker every charge and that helped. It is never going to flow as good as ball powders like W231 or AA5. But I like the stuff. Because of the good case fill its almost impossible to double charge with it on my Dillion. Its easy to find a good load. Its really versatile. Just a little harder to get to flow properly.

Idaho Mule
01-19-2013, 01:06 PM
I use little dandy. I do get .1 variations but am not loading max loads so don't worry much about it. I charge 50 or 100 at a time in trays, and then look inside every case with good light to see that all are at same level. Then seat and crimp. works for me. JW

La Dano
01-19-2013, 03:07 PM
I use unique in my RCBS powder throw, works great, very consistent.

Mohavedog
01-19-2013, 03:34 PM
I haven't found a powder measure yet that measures Unique reliably. Recently I was surprised to find that the Lee Perfect powder measure works as well with Unique as ones costing 3 times as much. I needed another measure to replace my RCBS Uniflow that I dedicated to a progressive press. So I took a chance on the Lee figuring what could I lose, and found it to measure Unique just as accurately as the RCBS, (+/- .1). Now being plastic I'm sure it won't last a lifetime, but for now does just fine with Unique.

Kevin Rohrer
01-19-2013, 03:41 PM
A Hollywood also works well.

fouronesix
01-19-2013, 03:51 PM
I tried Unique in two different Lyman 55s. The measure drops accurate loads of Unique no problem if the small adjustments bars are set up right. HOWEVER. The very thin grains of Unique get into the drum end play and really start interfering with smooth operation. I pitched the Unique in favor of other suitable powders- there are many.

flounderman
01-19-2013, 04:17 PM
If you are using a 55 for pistol loads, use the big drop tube. You will probably run into problems with the small tube. use a loading block and visually check the cases after you have measured the powder in them. With any measure, consistant operation is the key to accuracy. I rap the handle three times on the bottom of the stroke, after waiting a second after the initial stroke, tap it down twice more before I lift it. You can lift it and tap it once. just set the measure with the same motions you will use to throw the powder. Adjusting the cavity so you are using a narrow, deep cavity will work better than a shallow wide cavity.

Wayne Smith
01-19-2013, 04:41 PM
I used my Lyman 55 for several years before I got several light and heavy loads out of it. That's when I stopped using it with Unique. Same with the RCBS, but I knew that it had the same problem years ago and I worked hard to not have the problem and check each case.

I think it best, with Unique, to simply assume that Unique will bridge in any powder measure and routinely check the level in each case. You never know when it will happen, and when you are loading 100 rounds at a time you have plenty of chances.

A pause for the COZ
01-20-2013, 02:31 PM
I have two RCBS Uni-flows. I use them primarily to throw flake powders. Unique, Herco, Blue Dot ect.
I get less than a 20th of a grain variance across ten throws. Good enough for me.
I do not use my Uni Flows for extruded powders. Its cuts them like a coffee grinder. I use a LEE PPM for those.