PDA

View Full Version : ALCAN brass 20 ga hulls

trooperdan
01-18-2013, 01:17 PM
I just scored 50 nice 20ga brass cases that take the old G57F battery cup primer. I'm currently away from my stash but I believe I have a box of Remington 57 primers, are they the same size as the G57F's? And I swear, somewhere in my stash I have an old de-primer for pushing the primer cup out of a 209 type battery cup primer, anyone remember those? You could rebuild the battery cup primers using new primer cups, not sure if they were a standard large or small primer size but I think they were!

elk hunter
01-19-2013, 12:19 PM
G57f and Remington 57 are the same size/diameter primer, but they may not be a direct replacement as one may be hotter than the other. Reloading data for shotshells in the 60's, when your cases were likely made, didn't necessarily recognize the difference that switching primers could make in pressure. Today it can be hard to locate reliable current reloading data for brass cases so do be careful.

Yes, Alcan used to make replacement primers cups for reloading shotshell primers. They were like Berdan primers in that they didn't have an anvil that was pressed into the cup. You used the original separate anvil from the original primer.

shaune509
01-19-2013, 11:03 PM
I picked up 1000 cci157's a few years back just if I had to reload alcan brass or older peters shells. Never seen to decapper for the batteiry (sp) cups but whould like to find one as I have 200 canook 2b caps.
shaune509

trooperdan
01-20-2013, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the help guys! Looks like I am set with 50 good brass cases and 1,000 primers!

skeettx
05-13-2013, 05:44 PM
AND
What I learned this week is that with time some of the brass will expand and not want to fit the chamber.
What to do? What to do?
Too cheap to buy custom reloading dies.
Well I took the cases and lubed them with Imperial Sizing Wax
and using a vice, cranked them part way into a Mossberg 12 gauge Turkey Choke tube
Used a ram with a hole for the primer area and knocked them back out
PERFECT
Mike