PDA

View Full Version : Casting techniques.....vive la difference

BruceB
12-06-2005, 06:18 PM
In the last couple of days,there have been a few comments made about casting methods that I happen to use, and I think I'm gonna hold up my side of the discussion here.

In the thread about Bullplate lube on the Swapping and Selling forum, reference is made to "beating" and "clubbing" moulds. Now, I use a light plastic mallet to open the sprue plate on every mold I own, every time I do any casting at all. This "mallet" (my term) is about four ounces in head weight, and I suppose I've used it exclusively for about 15 or 20 years so far....a good third of the head is worn away.

I have moulds here that I've owned for twenty years or more, too, including some of the very earliest Lee aluminum jobs. I have NEVER, repeat, NEVER, "beaten" a mould into uselessness. Nor have I ever "worn out" a Lee mould. The energy applied to cutting the sprue is nicely calculated to ONLY cut the sprue, and has zero effect on the mould itself. If a "gloved hand" works for you for opening a mould, that's fine, but I can assure you that a judiciously-applied impact ALSO works without damaging anything.

Another notable point arising in the comments is the temperature of casting, and speed of production (a subject dear to my heart, as most here know). Bullshop has developed a technique for casting somewhere around 650 degrees or less with WW, and cutting sprues in the semi-solid state. It works for him, and his rate is impressive....about 250 boolits from a one-banger in an hour, I believe he said.

His is a very different method from mine, where I run the furnace at max temperature (870 degrees) and water-cool the sprue immediately once it has solidified. Using this method for a timed thirty minutes with a Lee single-cavity mould, I made 159 good bullets....highly comparable to Bullshop's lower-temp 250-or-so in an hour, I'd say. 400 to 500 per hour (or more) is easily accomplished with a 2-cavity mould.

Part of the reason behind this post was the lead-smearing topic. There is simply NO smearing of lead in any of my moulds when operated as I do. One of my moulds is a single-cavity Ebay Lyman 429303, and some previous owner opened up the sprue hole with (I swear!) a 5/16" drill bit and a 60-degree countersink...it is FUGLY. Even with that extreme-diameter sprue-hole, I get no smearing under the plate or on the mould. Works for me.

I reckon it just goes to show that there are different ways to the same end. I'm quite happy with the quality of the bullets I produce, and those to whom I've sent trial lots of various designs also seem satisfied with my results. Looking at Bullshop's photos, I'm sure he'd say exactly the same thing about his, because they sure do look fine.

SharpsShooter
12-06-2005, 07:03 PM
That's what makes this board unique. There are many ways to accomplish a given task and by trial and error, each individual finds the answer that works best for them. I use a gloved hand myself to cut sprues, mainly because the glove is already on my hand and it is one less thing (the mallet) to pick up.

NVcurmudgeon
12-06-2005, 07:08 PM
As a grateful recipient of some of BruceB's "trial lots," and a viewer of his casting technique in action, I can say that mould abuse does not occur at his hands. Another skilled caster of my aquaintance uses the smallest wooden mallet I have ever seen, and he has many Lee moulds. I have loaned moulds to these two gentlemen alchemists, and borrowed theirs in turn. My own choice for a mould "mallet" is a very small rawhide hammer of the finest
English craftsmanship. I am sure that the gloved hand school has merit,
too. Any technique can be harmless or brutal, depending on the care of the operator.

Bullshop
12-06-2005, 09:22 PM
BruceB
I was wondering when you would get in. As has already been said by somone there is always more than one way. I know your way works because I have read from too many satisfied users for it not to.
I used to do the same thing myself but with a slight twist. I taped two Q-tips together and set them in a tuna can with a bit of water. That worked good for two cavity Lyman molds.
I also ran the pot real hot and thought it neccessary. I did it that way for many years and for all those years I had some molds that simply would not cast a good boolit out of straight WW. Some did just fine but others just would not without adding tin in some form.
As you know adding tin is adding $ and one goal for all of us is to keep the cost down.
Straight WW alloy is about perfect for 95% of everything I make eather air cooled or quenched hardened but the boolit has to be of high quality or I get no repeat customers.
The two major differences I have found with the method I am using are first and most importantly every mold I have will now make perfectly clean sharp well filled boolits from straight WW.
I am amaised by it and admit I dont understand why but it works.
Molds that I have used for years and had just come to accept the previously thought fact that they simply would not work satisfacterly with WW are now doing just that. The differance is so profound I can hardly believe it myself.
The other big difference I have noticed is that molds that have been somewhat stubern about dropping thier boolits have suddenly become more user friendly. Most now drop thier boolit just by opening the blocks. The ones that dont get a gentil tap on the rear end of the handle and come out very easily.
This has improved things for me so much that I cant help to crow about it a bit.
I have been targeting your proven method as a comparison but never ment offence by it in any way.
As NVcurmudgeon summed up in the last sentance of his post the operator of any system determins what is brutal or harmless. I have read some sad posts of the early demise of molds brought on by a lack of understanding and a heavy hand.
One point I would like to make is that with whatever method of casting anyone uses a mold of any material has to be lubed in some way and I know you will agree with that.
The lube I am offering for sale is by far the best thing I have ever used for that purpose. I have for a number of years been buying and using the sprue plate lube from NEI and it works good. I have been worried about it not being available at some point not knowing how stable the company now is.

That is the reason I set about to find a replacment, and it turns out the replacment is better.
No offence ever intended friend, I hold you in very high regard here and enjoy hearing what you have to say.
BIC/BS

mroliver77
12-06-2005, 09:53 PM
After reading Bruce B's article on speed casting a year or two ago I gave it a try. I was already a believer in a hot pot for most of my casting. I now use my version of the Bruce B method for most of my casting. It works very well for me. I use a "club" to cut most sprues.(Actually I run quit a few 6 bangers these days) I have a 2 diameter stick turned from hickory that is pretty large. I have carpal tunnal and cutting with gloved hand does not work for long. The large stick is easy to hold and requires a very light hand to use it. I use one mold at a time with mold staying in left hand and stick in right. Lead pot is at 12:00 from me and wet rag/pan is at 11:00. quench bucket is at 9:00 on top of stool that puts top of bucket at same height as mold when being filled. Sprue collector is a drawer in front and below the lead pot with a large cake pan setting in it. There is a 2 burner propane stovetop to the right of my setup with one burner in the 1:00 position for preheating if needed or sometimes I will cast with a ladle at this station. The pure lead balls and Minnies seem to pefer the ladle method for me. I am using pillow cases in my bucket to catch bullets and it also is an effective ramp to slow bullets in their fall to the bottom.
I am very happy with this setup and gratefull to Bruce for sharing his method. I was ostracised at one email list for posting my setup. After all the thrashings I got for having water near the lead pot I tried to explain my testing of droplets onto the top of the pot doing nothing but dancing and steaming away. (I have never had an accidental water drop in the pot)I was trampled by many of the "good ole boys" on that list and finally resigned and left them to their Lyman manuals.
I even use the Bruce B for bullets that do not benefit from water dropping. I believe that getting them cooled fast and gentlyto be a benifit. Also I can cast quit a pile with no crowding and adjusting of my cooling area. This is how I do itand I am happy with it. Jay

David R
12-06-2005, 10:25 PM
Proponent of BruceB method. I even said Here He is my "Cast Boolit Hero". I also ordered some of Bullshop's lube to see how it works and try his method. I will report on it once I use it.

My "mallet" or "Club" is about 14" of a hardwood sledge hammer handle. Its almost worn through from use. Isn't that why they put that tab on the side of the plate? Ever use a Lyman 4 cavity? That one needs a good whack. Never warped, bent or broke a mold.

250 to 300 30 cal in 1/2 hour is normal for me. I usually do 4 1/2 hour sessions and have over 1,000 boolits. Then switch molds and do it again.

David

Ken O
12-06-2005, 10:43 PM
I must be the only one that doesnt use a mallet, I just use my gloved hand to cut the sprue. When making the first few cast, or warming it up, the sprue cuts pretty hard, but after that its not that hard. I get a better feel on how much the sprue has froze, and can tell how hot the mold is getting by how hard the sprue plate cuts. I use welding gloves, the sprue plate fits in the palm of my hand.

Urny
12-07-2005, 12:37 AM
Good thread, Bruce. I use a gloved hand for all single cavity molds, and a two pound bar of tin for two, three, and four cavity molds. Six cavity come with their own method of cutting the sprue. Bought my first mold, a Lee, in 1976 or 77, and still use it, after many thousands of casts. Since learning of BruceB's casting technique, I use no other, with a few modifications to suit my situation and peculiarities.

Goatlips
12-07-2005, 12:39 AM
I am a Blackpowder Cowboy Action Shooter almost exclusively at this point in my life and our targets are big and close. In our game quantity overrides quality for most shooters. :Fire: :Fire: :Fire: :Fire: :Fire:

A few Blackpowder Cowboys designed, out of necessity, what are now called "Big Lube"tm boolits that carry twice the normal lubrication or more, to use in our pistol caliber rifles. First came the Pigeonroost Slim .45, then the Snakebite .38 (for a .38 case, but the length of a .357), and the Mav Dutchman .44, all 6-cavity Lee molds. Long range designs have also appeared. Some of us had never had any interest in casting until these specialized molds came out, and we were forced to learn in a hurry, as no one sold the boolits commercially (until recently).

Anyhow, I came up with an elementary tutorial for beginning Cowboy casters, to try to help them avoid some of the difficulties one runs into when starting out. Pictures are especially helpful when you've never seen it done, I figure. Here 'tis:

http://goatlipstips.cas-town.com/casting.html

Goatlips

Springfield
12-07-2005, 01:37 AM
I also use the Bruce B method, and like Goatlips I mostly use the Lee 6 cavity moulds. But I also cast 44 and 45's so one little 10 lb pot would never keep up so I use 2 20 pounders. Using one mould I can consistently cast 900-1000 bullets an hour. I like to drop the sprues back into the pot though,saves time and is neater.
When I use a Lyman or Saeco 2 cavity mould I find that opening them with my finger works fine as long as they are up to temp. I have a small rawhide mallet that I used to use doing my leather work that was replaced with a better quality one. I have no problem with giving a sprue plate a little tap to open a stubborn mould when necesary.

The Nyack Kid
12-07-2005, 02:30 AM
the way i cast is a lot like BSs method. i run the pot as cool as i can go before i get spout freeze(bout 675*) and pour as fast as i can useing a small rubber hammer to push the sprue plate over . the boolits (WW alloy) fall out shiny ,as they cool they frost over . this works really good with big boolit(45 cal 400 grs+) in iron molds . ive found that casting fast and hot with the big iron molds leads to , for lack of a better word , "burned" edges instead of nice sharp edges . some notes , care must be taken when casting fast because the boolits are very soft and deform easly , just having a boolit get caught between the blocks can ding them .long skinny boolits will bend very easly if dropped more than a few inches off of a folded towl .

Bass Ackward
12-07-2005, 08:20 AM
I am amazed at how many people become satisfied with a casting approach and stick to it. And how varried they are. You would think that everyone would eventually gravitate towards your method as any rational person would to find success. I used to cast for speed. Soon the fruits of my work became .... less consistent. My equipment got neglected and my molds started to suffer. I was going so fast that I couldn't .... "hear" what the molds and the mix were telling me. Soon it became like work and my shooting of cast actually decreased. But my real problem was I had a problem with manual dexterity and organization where I felt my casting was becoming unsafe. I was sloppy and eventually I got burnt.

So now I cast for relaxation. This may be "fast....er" or it may be slow. We are coming into the time of the year where I lay in the bullet supply for a year minus unexpected experiments. I end up with long evenings where activity is subdued or I awake earlier than chosen. The fight for entertainment is easy skirted and thus the pot replaces the need to support Hollywood. I do listen to the radio and sing sometimes to help keep down the boredom these days. Sometimes I remember Huckleberry Finn and use the local casting machine which is the kid next door. If you can't win fair in life, .... CHEAT! It supports the sport.

And so I will get through yet another year of using the silver stream.

Bret4207
12-07-2005, 08:57 AM
Now there's the ticket! Thanks Bass. Efficiency, organization and an approach to casting as an enjoyable endeavour in itself. If it's WORK it ain't fun. I also can appreciate the idea of "listening" to the mold. I can only add this- take notes and write down the individual mould prefrences. I've got some I can use a 1lb Rowell ladle with and just pile the boolits up. Others require the smaller Lyman ladle in contact with the sprue hole. A Lyman 358156 requires a "drop tube" approach or the mould dosen't fill out. Those notes help this miserable wretch avoid turning every casting session into another "learning what I already would have known if I'd written it down" session.

BABore
12-07-2005, 10:47 AM
You guys need to relax a little. Pop a tab and sit back. :)

I'm ladel pouring single and double cavity moulds at 100 to 200 bullets an hour. Most are 458's and 475's which seem be be way more consitent by using a ladel. I also tend to put away a 12 ouncer about every 45 to 60 minute during casting. To speed production I set the cooler next to my casting chair. 8)

Do you guys all own belt fed weapons or what. I cast, reload, and shoot 200 to 300 rounds of various calibers every weekend. Haven't ran out of bullets so far. Being a greenhorn, I kind of enjoy my set back casting technique. Are you guys telling me that you cast faster so you can enjoy it more or that you look at it as another chore. :veryconfu

9.3X62AL
12-07-2005, 12:07 PM
My casting mode varies somewhat with the mold I'm using--they do have "personalities", for lack of a better term. Like Bret, I leave notes in the mold box to remind me of a tool's quirks and eccentricities.

Overall, I've cooled my metal down for the past 6 months or so. Using WW or Taracorp, I can pick up from .0005" to .0015" of diameter running the alloy at 650*-675* instead of at 800*-825*. With a couple molds--45 rifle in particular--this is the difference between usable, accurate boolits and a pile of recyclable metal. The lower temps also seem to largely eliminate the "Shrunken Boolit Syndrome" that Dan talks about on his Mountain Molds website. These phenomena seem to carry through in aluminum, steel, and iron mold blocks.

The REAL fix is to quit being so farking cheep and get a purpose-built 45 rifle mold, but I digress. I've seen Bruce's speed casting in action, and the method produces a truckload of high quality boolits in very short order. I think my method would be described as a more deliberate and relaxed pace, with the tools and equipment placed in sensible array to minimize motion. Hell, I'm retired--I don't have to do anything fast except drive to trout spots or quail country. Still, I'm able to crank out 250-300 boolits per hour without much strain at all--400+ if I put my mind to it, and this involves two 2 cavity molds running at the same time.

I'm DONE hurrying ANYTHING, in other words.

The Nyack Kid
12-07-2005, 12:42 PM
i do enjoy casting its not work to me (work is sizing trimming and priming 1000 cases )when you got the alloy cool you have to go fairly fast to keep the mold temp up . really in the end they all do the same thing.

Bullshop
12-07-2005, 01:36 PM
I have to confess to an attack on a different thread on a proven and well accepted system, the BruceB system , that attack leading to this thread.
I appologise for any and all feathers I may have ruffled.
Earlier this week somone said I should advertise more on this board, and thats kind of what I was up to.
The small ripple aproach I have been using to advertising didnt work well so I thought I neaded to make a wave, which it seems I have.
My appologies to all!
The byproduct of my advertising effort has though lead to this very informitive thread we can all learn from.
It wasnt realy the system I was trying to sell but the lube. I am shure the casting world can get buy just fine without it as it has for several centuries.
It is however a good product for the job and having another choice is not a bad thing.
BIC/BS

BruceB
12-07-2005, 02:51 PM
I'm sorta late in this reply, due to being up to my ..."nether regions"....in assorted alligators here at work.

Please, BS, ol' man, do NOT think I took offence at your post, or construed it as an attack! It was extremely interesting, in fact, and I'll confess to always being intrigued by the 'hows' and 'whys' of other folks' routines and experiments. One of the valuable things I've learned from about six years on this Board and its predecessors is to NEVER say "never", and NEVER say "always", and to keep an open mind. The approach has served me well, as I've learned an awful lot of good stuff here.

The only reason I moved the discussion from Swapping and Selling was to get into a more-populated area of our site, where more people might find it worthwhile to post on the subject, and thus expand the discussion.

Looking over the replies, I seem to detect a perception among some of us, especially those with perhaps a kinda 'relaxed' approach to the hobby, that high-production casting is WORK, without any fun at all. Nothing could be further from the truth! I greatly enjoy my casting, and I do NOT push the process in any way. Whatever production rate I obtain is gained only by smooth and focussed application of a technique that works for me, and it isn't hurried at all, even though the mould gets filled four or five times per minute. The process IS the result of some careful study, but there's nothing fanatical or gritted-teeth-sweaty-LABOR about it. It's also highly entertaining to watch all those beautiful new boolits piling up as the time passes. (Much less entertaining when lube-sizing time comes, though....bleeeaagghh!)

One phenomenon I've never had trouble with is the "Shrunken Bullet Syndrome", and I don't really know why. I do suspect that, even though my furnace temperature is set at maximum, my actual MOULD temp may be well below what one would get without using wet-pad cooling. I find that I'm often resting the mould bottom on the pad for a second or two before cooling the sprue so maybe I'm knocking-off enough heat to keep the mould below a temperature where SBS might occur. This is a "feel" technique, the mould-bottom-cooling, so it's hard to describe just when or why I do it, but the end products are very nice and don't shrink, either.

Very interesting replies...keep 'em coming!

BruceB
12-07-2005, 03:04 PM
On re-reading my last post, please note that I meant NO DISRESPECT by referring to folks with a 'relaxed' approach to casting!

I am surely one of the most 'relaxed' casters I know, but in the case of the post above, I was thinking of those who perhaps cast for BPCR or other games and/or pursuits which don't require large numbers of boolits. For such casters,there is no need for high production and hence they may not be aware of how easy it is to turn out a lot of boolits in rather short time frames.

Thousands of bullets on hand give me a warm fuzzy. For example,I probably have about 5000 .45 ACP bullets on the shelf, not counting over 3000 loaded rounds. That's a good feeling! Conversely, I have a bullet-casting friend who's happy to have just a couple hundred bullets on hand for his .45-110 Sharps'.

Different strokes, that's all. Hope I didn't offend anyone with that 'relaxed' remark.

grumble
12-07-2005, 04:54 PM
"...Thousands of bullets on hand give me a warm fuzzy. For example,I probably have about 5000 .45 ACP bullets on the shelf, not counting over 3000 loaded rounds..."

Hope I don't hijack the thread with this, it isn't my intention:

I'd guess that most of us have thousands of rounds loaded and in components in our reloading areas. Many of us also have more than an "average" number of firearms. We don't think anything about it for the most part.

Do any of you remember the huge fuss made about Randy Weaver's 10 or 15 firearms? Or the "fifty-some" firearms in the home of the kid who recently shot his girlfriend's parents and ran off with her? I bring this up because I wonder about the liability of having "too many" (as if there were such a thing) firearms or ammo when the media gets ahold of the fact, or it comes out in court for some reason.

Anybody else ponder this?

MacGregor
12-07-2005, 04:59 PM
not really, i am looking forward to whatever runs thru his mind when the little dude that decides he wants to try and date my daughter finds out that daddy has several very large weapons and many many many boxes of BIG LOADED BULLETS stocked up..... bullets that will crack an engine block even... muahhahahahhhahahahaha :evil:

DOUBLEJK
12-07-2005, 05:19 PM
Put me down in the cast fer relaxation column...I sure don't come close to most a yer production amounts....I use 1 or 2 molds at a time depends on what I need n my mood...I cast outa a 20lb bottom pour n my temps vary dependin' on the alloy n the mold....mostly between 675F n 725F...also use an old rawhide mallet ta take care a the sprue cuttin' duty's n like Tpr Bret n Deputy Al I keep a note in with the mold as to what I've found as too temp n speed werks best with it...my molds seem ta be like wemen....different as night n day....some like it hot n faster n some like it slower n cooler...n I give em what they seem ta need...:-D

As far as a production figure? H'mmmm...
I ussually empty a full pot n set back n admire that pile a silver projectiles n get kinda dreamin' bout em goin' straight er droppin' somethin be it steel er hair...;)

DOUBLEJK
12-07-2005, 05:25 PM
Grumble how ya doin'? long time no see em...that job's still open here...:-D
Yep wonder bout that same thing...I've got shelves saggin' with ready ta load castin's n another saggin' with em stuffed inta cases...couple a years ago my M.I.L. saw my room n gasped....when the cops see this ya'll be a goner fer sure....they'll think yer plannin' a war er somethin'...:shock:
Huuuuh' me???? no way....just like havin' lotsa em so's I can plink till I drop whenever I want....

9.3X62AL
12-07-2005, 05:33 PM
The bit about "an arsenal" plays loud in newsprint, but doesn't amount to much in the courtroom. It might be inadmissible in a criminal proceeding, using the rubric of "probative vs. prejudicial" to decide the issue. Civilly, I really can't say one way or the other.

I think that as gunowners--we need to focus our attention on the news media the same way that cops, firefighters, and armed forces "in country" view them. They are liars--bare face, bolt print, red ink, bona fide falsehood merchants. Agenda-driven whores for sensationalism, and about as fact-free as a Barbra Striesand concert. MANY times I have had actual, personal involvement in incidents and/or investigative responsibility for same, and after having read the press accounts of the matter I could only determine that the story covered the same event because the names of involved parties were identical. Not every time, but as often as not a "perspective" that is developed in print to maximize spectator interest will diminish facts to the point of non-recognition.

General William Sherman had it right when he said that "scribblers" needed hanging as spies. Agent provocateurs, at minimum.

The Nyack Kid
12-07-2005, 06:05 PM
Deputy Al
Amen being a logger I have seen the same lies and smeer campain that you are talking about. noone in the mainstream media has anything nice to say about us , poor, under paided, unloved , hard working, vital industry. the same can be said of miners ranchers and farmers . how many times have you seen or hear of anything truely posative said about them in the last few years ?

grumble
12-07-2005, 06:38 PM
2JK, doon' great!! I've thought about that job several times, but you never sent me the biscuits and gravy to sample. <GGG> Now that the corral-rash is all healed up, I'm kinda enjoying having skin on my hands again. Things going OK for you, too?

Al, you're right of course. But (ain't there always a 'but?'), it seems to me that when the hysterical heads on the news start going on about things in trials, the verdict usually matches their hystronics. OJ and wat'iz name, Baretta, are some of the few where media pressure didn't seem to sway a jury. I know jurors are charged to not listen to or read news about their case, but in high profile cases where juries aren't sequestered, I wonder how many of them have the self-discipline to not discuss or watch media reports. The media has a huge amount of unregulated influence, even in courtrooms. 'Course, far be it from me to suggest that maybe judges might be politically influenced in the same manner...

Bret4207
12-07-2005, 07:12 PM
Bullshop, I don't know about anyone else here, but I saw no need for you to apologize for something as innocent as trying to sell a product you've worked hard on and obviously believe in. As has been ponted out, there's a number of different ways of opening a sprue plate and if you have a lube that works, then you have my best wishes for great sucess. The fact you felt the need to apologize, in my opinion, shows your character and consience is in the right mode. In other words, in my book, you rate as one of the good guys. I see no problem with you offering your products to the brotherhood.

Bass Ackward
12-07-2005, 07:45 PM
I see no problem with you offering your products to the brotherhood.

You know, I don't either. But I would like to see a section for it where anyione could post their wares. It would save seeing it all the time and feel like people are only here to tout their stuff. I liked one section on "experiments" also for those folks that wanted to find out for themselves.

Problem is that we have so many darn catagories already that it get's hard to figure where to post something sometimes or where to search for it if you remember it awhile back.

David R
12-07-2005, 07:59 PM
A couple of notes. I have been casting for 15 years or so. I joined this group this year and tried BruceB's method. I was simply Amazed at the quantity and quality of the boolits I was producing. My back can only take 1/2 hour in front of the pot, so I use that time wisely. I position my stuff so its easiest for me with the least amount of twisting. I stand on a piece of rug.

Now that Bullshop has this new method and lube, I ordered some to try His method. Maybe I will be a convert, or maybe not. I could also combine what I learned from both. I truly enjoy casting boolits, I enjoy shooting and that warm fuzzy feeling, well I sure have it. Right now I have about 6 or 7 3 lb coffee cans full of boolits ready to be sized and lubed. This is all since spring of this year. For now, I can say most of it is from what I learned from BruceB. I get NO lead smearing on the top of the mold and none on the sprue plate. My eyes are open though, so I will try the Bullshop method. I'll let yall know what I find out.

David

grumble
12-07-2005, 08:00 PM
"Problem is that we have so many darn catagories already that it get's hard to figure where to post something sometimes or where to search for it if you remember it awhile back."

And, of course, we're all soooo good at staying on subject. Makes it real easy to find what we're looking for, eh? <G>

JohnH
12-07-2005, 08:32 PM
'Bout the only thing I could add is the use a Craftsman flathead screw driver for a mallet. The handle has proven practically indestructable, having served me for at least ten years. It is light and the shank fits well in the hand without being over sized or feeling like a club, allowing me to keep it in my hand at all times.

As to method, the only thing I've found to be critical is consistancy of method. How the ladle is held and mold turned, how far the mold is held below the pour spout, timing myself (a simple count) from cutting the sprue to repouring. Bruces method of water cooling works real nice, I've tried it, but I find a nice steady not fast or slow rythme to work best for me.

That's what's nice about casting, it is actually quite forgiving and lends itself to our individual quirks, likes and dislikes. If it can be learned form a book with no hands on training from someone, (many of us learned it that way including myself), there's less mystery going on than we like to think sometimes.

Char-Gar
12-07-2005, 10:07 PM
I have been casting for 45 years, but have learned allot on this board and changed my technique as a result. I now "do the Bruce B" and cover the top of my melt with Kitty Litter. I very seldom use a dipper any more.

The only thing I stick to is my 16" hammer handle that is my spru knocker. I have used the same once since 1962. I have never damaged a mold with it in all of these years of casting.

MGySgt
12-07-2005, 10:16 PM
Problem is that we have so many darn catagories already that it get's hard to figure where to post something sometimes or where to search for it if you remember it awhile back.

Swapping and Selling - of Course BS was doing a little advertising at the same time - What is wrong with that?

The only problem with Swapping and selling is it is hard to find something 10 months or so down the road when you need a resupply.

Casting Technique - To Cool or not to Cool - I started to use the BruceB method about 18 months ago - I got real tired of cleaning the smear off the top of the mold and bottom of the sprue plate. Until last weekend I didn't have any build up. But I was using a batch of Lyman #2 and I didn't cool long enough, now I have a set of brass molds I need to clean up.
So I will use the BrueB and Bull Shops lube and maybe I won't get any more smears when I change the alloy. Yes I too cast hot - about 825. And I ladle pour too! Rate - depends on what I am casting - .45 450Gr about 100 an hour (2 cavity) , 280 gr 44 about 175 an hour (also 2 cavity). When it starts being work I quite for the session, might be 30 minutes might be 2 hours - If it is work - it aint fun!

Mallet - old hammer handle that broke off. Cut the broken part off and use it. Cheap and not too heavy - Works well!

Just the .02 worth from a dumb old retired Marine!

I have learned a lot more in the last 18 months here then the previous 25 plus years I cast before joining this board - For that I thank all who contribute here!

Drew

9.3X62AL
12-07-2005, 11:55 PM
Bullshop's text about his new product was in the Swapping/Selling section--all good as far as I'm concerned. There might be a way to sell something without describing what it is and what it does--but darned if I know it.

Sorry about the rant posted above. Nyack and Grumble--ever since Watergate--when the Washington Post successfully turned a panty raid into a gang rape--every scribbler out there wants to be Woodward and Bernstein. The power of an unchecked press will bite us deeply again one of these days.

The Nyack Kid
12-08-2005, 12:11 AM
Deputy Al
I have no problem with the rant i know how it feels
as far as "The power of an unchecked press will bite us deeply again one of these days." IMO , this country is swishing around in a toilet bowl at the moment thanks in large part to Big Money Media and scibbers with aggenda.

grumble
12-08-2005, 11:20 AM
"Rant?" I didn't see any rant. Just a mildly stated opinion that couldn't possibly offend anyone. Considering the subject, I thought what was written was a very calm and thoughtful expression. I mean, a man's gotta have his own ideas, don't he?

9.3X62AL
12-08-2005, 11:44 AM
Thanks, both to Grumble and Nyack.

What WAS the topic, anyway? :-)

The Nyack Kid
12-08-2005, 12:49 PM
What WAS the topic, anyway? :-)

good question
let me do some digging...... I think the topic is about shooting, little dudes(punk kids) ,who think they are going to "date" a persons sweet darling baby daughter.
i could be wrong though the odds aren't in my favor that im right

hydraulic
12-08-2005, 10:25 PM
Deputy Al--Your right! Sooner or later everyone will find a news story on a subject they know about and they'll find that the media lies. Tom Brokaw, on his "fleecing of America" segment, talked about a bridge across the Missouri that runs from a corn field on one side to a swamp on the other. I live on the south side of the bridge, and Tom is from Yankton, SD, 30 miles east. So we both have first hand knowledge that there was no cornfield and no swamp. He stood right there and lied through his teeth. Sometimes things like that irritate me.

Blackwater
12-09-2005, 12:22 AM
Personally, I can identify greatly with what Bass said. Seems we went through a similar process, and I too originally quickly went on a "production" binge, with similar results. After getting my BPCR, I realized quickly that THIS rifle REQUIRED a really good bullet to shoot well. The more consistent the bullets, the better they'd do, and significantly so. So now, I've been trying to learn to cast really GOOD bullets, and that (and this board - you're all a bunch of tempters, you know! ;^) rekindled my desire to shoot more cast bullets in everything, including my hi vel rifles.

This board has really been a stimulus and revelation to me, and I thank all of you. You guys really make a fella' stop and think sometimes, and you SURELY make a fella' pay a LOT more attention to the process of casting. This has done nothing but good things for me. Haven't tried the Bruce B method yet, but will most definitely do so ASAP. Deer season's crimping my casting time right now, but will be trying my '06's, 7.62x54, .303 Brit and .30/30 ASAP.

I can see benefits to both Bruce B's and Bullshop's techniques. Unless I'm wrong, I expect to find each technique to work, with each giving its own unique advantages.

I think it was Dep. Al, wasn't it (sorry if wrong - dang that CRS disease anyway!) who said that he gets additional diameter from using BS's method. That may very well be a significant factor with my 7.62x54 and .303. Their grooves run .313"+, and my little Lee 185 grainer only casts .312 and a smidge run conventionally with ACWW's. I will likely try BS's technique with that mould and see if I can get some "free" diameter increase without having to lap the cavity. I also see a real speed advantage to Bruce B's technique, and will likely use it where I can to get more "free bullets" per hour casting time. Both reducing the alloy temp and cooling a hot alloy with the wet sponge/rag will up my production, and likely I think, bullet quality simultaneously.

That's why I love this place and you guys. So darn much experience and knowledge in such a small space. It's REALLY helped my casting, and THAT has me enjoying the process MUCH more than previously.

One question: Do you think (???) that the Bruce B method tends to work a tad better with aluminum moulds, because they heat up and cool so rapidly, and does the Bullshop method work maybe a tad better with iron moulds, because the lower alloy temp doesn't heat the moulds up as badly with a fast pace????

Ain't this stuff FUN! ;)

Blackwater
12-09-2005, 12:43 AM
Oh yeah! And Deputy Al, I've had a couple of experiences seeing something happen that then hit the front page, and if you were actually THERE, you'd not recognize the event from what the papers reported. I'd say more, but wanna' keep this clean.

Who am I kidding with that last? They're WHORES! All of the big ones. Of all things, the ONLY paper that got it right in the whole nation was ... (gulp!) ... the New York Times .... not initially, of course, but after a couple of weeks, one of their lesser reporters actually got a transcript, and reported an accurate version which completely dispelled all previous reports. Of course THAT story was buried deep within the bowels of the paper where nobody'd see it.

The issue IS important here, because with a press unrestrained by ethical standards that demand Truth, it'll likely one day be a CRIME to cast a bullet! That makes it very relevant, I think. I'd have laughed at that statement 40 years ago .... but no longer. It CAN happen, and it CAN happen HERE.

Funny, ain't it? We have a press that affects GREATLY what people think, how they vote, and what they want, and thus can determine the path of our nation, and there's no requirement of Truth any more, nor any price for lies. It's all just "opinion," at least right up until someone tries to point out their errors or falacies. "Separation of church and state" is being used to essentially atheize our nation. Ya' reckon there's a connection????

The Nyack Kid
12-09-2005, 01:04 AM
One question: Do you think (???) that the Bruce B method tends to work a tad better with aluminum moulds, because they heat up and cool so rapidly, and does the Bullshop method work maybe a tad better with iron moulds, because the lower alloy temp doesn't heat the moulds up as badly with a fast pace????

Ain't this stuff FUN! ;)

that is kind of what im thinking ,there is a huge differance in the cooling rates of my blocks . i have seen that it helps to have hotter alloy with the aluminum . if i go too hot of alloy with iron i get "sharp edge burn".
i cant really do a apple to apple comparasen cause my aluminum 45-70 blocks are Mountain molds and they have that BIG spure hole . next mold i get from Dan im going to try and get the sprue plate with a small hole in it .

9.3X62AL
12-09-2005, 01:27 AM
This is TOTAL guesswork on my part here--my theory on gaining a little diameter by running the molds with cooler alloy is that at 650* there is less overall shrinkage when the casting "freezes" than when it "freezes" from 825*. I don't one have shred of science to support that belief, but the castings are fatter. I do miss that cool "galvanized steel" look that frosted boolits show, though.

PatMarlin
12-09-2005, 02:01 AM
The only time casting seems like work is when I've got a pain-in the-****- mold. I've got about 3 that still need work.. :roll:

Most of the time I listen to old Arnold Murry whilst I'm castin'.

Praise the lord and pass the ammunition.. :bigsmyl2: :bigsmyl2: :bigsmyl2:

Bullshop
12-09-2005, 03:25 AM
Blackwater
You keep stroking us like that and you wont have to cast boolits, we will just give them to you.
BIC/BS

Bass Ackward
12-09-2005, 08:18 AM
if i go too hot of alloy with iron i get "sharp edge burn". i cant really do a apple to apple comparasen cause my aluminum 45-70 blocks are Mountain molds and they have that BIG spure hole . next mold i get from Dan im going to try and get the sprue plate with a small hole in it .

Nyack,

Dan will cut you what ever size you want if you specify it in the comments block or your order.

I always get him to enlarge mine. So much so that now I don't have to ask him to do it anymore. It just happens.

PatMarlin
12-09-2005, 10:52 AM
Blackwater
You keep stroking us like that and you wont have to cast boolits, we will just give them to you.
BIC/BS

.. LOL..

StarMetal
12-09-2005, 11:32 AM
Who said religious folks couldn't be funny? Huh, who said that? Too funny Bullshop.

Joe

The Nyack Kid
12-09-2005, 12:40 PM
Nyack,

Dan will cut you what ever size you want if you specify it in the comments block or your order.

I always get him to enlarge mine. So much so that now I don't have to ask him to do it anymore. It just happens.

thanks for the tip BA i will remember that .
when it comes to my cast boolits i'm petty fussy . if there is a big hole in the bottom were the sprue ripped out back into the pot it goes . i know how to fix this problem but i'm to lazy . the small sprue doen't bother me since im useing a bottom pore pot.

StarMetal
12-09-2005, 12:46 PM
Alot of casting books mention this, but was just re-reading it in Lymans Cast book. It says that the alloy in the mould draws metal from the sprue as it cools. It said that if the sprue cools before the metal in the mould does it can and will cause voids. Made me think how does BruceB get away with his casting technique when that's exactly what he does, cool the sprue and sprue plate before the alloy inside the mould?

Joe

canuck4570
12-09-2005, 02:02 PM
to keep my mold cool during casting I have a 6x6x2 bloc of alluminium that realy take the heat from my mold.. my friend has one a bit thicker but he drilled holes lenghtwise in it and it cools faster....

Herb in Pa
12-09-2005, 03:08 PM
My casting bench has a 2 inch diameter hole cut in the top of a micarta like material that I scrounged from a MASH portable xray table out of an old Civil Defense bunker. I've got a 4" PVC elbow positioned under the hole with a small length of straight PVC with a computer fan in the pipe. I fastened two metal strips on top of the hole to act as rails for the mold to sit on. I use a bottom pour furnace and after pouring, just set the mold down on the rails until the sprue solidifies. It seems to work pretty well and you can also run two molds at once.

fecmech
12-09-2005, 05:44 PM
Alot of casting books mention this, but was just re-reading it in Lymans Cast book. It says that the alloy in the mould draws metal from the sprue as it cools. It said that if the sprue cools before the metal in the mould does it can and will cause voids. Made me think how does BruceB get away with his casting technique when that's exactly what he does, cool the sprue and sprue plate before the alloy inside the mould?

Joe
Joe--Using Bruce's method you don't hit the spru with the wet rag till after the bullet sucks the spru metal in. You can see it happen a second or two after the mold fill. Nick

David R
12-09-2005, 09:20 PM
Yeah, what Nick said. I put the bottom of the mold on the wet rag while I am "waiting" for the sprue to totally solidify. This is only with some molds. My Nice shiny New 311407 needs to be cooled on the bottom every pour. My 311284 double only needs a cool every 5 or 10 pours, sometimes even more. I keep a infared thermometer on the bench. I try to keep the bottom of the mold around 250 to 300. The steel molds hold a more even temp FAR better than the aluminum.

I can over cool the top of the mold and end up with poorly filled out bases, they look like drywall cracks. This is only on aluminum molds.

It takes a certain rythm once I get going.

David

Bullshop
12-09-2005, 10:11 PM
Joe--Using Bruce's method you don't hit the spru with the wet rag till after the bullet sucks the spru metal in. You can see it happen a second or two after the mold fill. Nick
fecmech
This is the point I was trying to make about using Bull Plate lube. You said after the boolit sucks the sprue metal in then you wet rag to cool but what I am saying is there is no need to. That is when you cut the sprue and where Bull Plate eliminates the smear.
BIC/BS

fecmech
12-10-2005, 12:10 PM
Bullshop--One of the other posters lives near me and ordered some lube and I asked him to order me some too. I will certainly give it a try when it comes in. Nick

Blackwater
12-10-2005, 04:22 PM
Bullshop, ship them there bullets QUICK before ya' change yer mind!!! [smilie=l:

Seriously, I DO need to try some of your plate lube, and will send an order ASAP. ANYTHING that'll speed up production is a real asset in our beloved hobby. With casting being cheap, and whatever methods that'll work to speed up our casting, there'll only be more to SHOOT, which is the whole point. All else is just details. Very IMPORTANT details, but details nonetheless.

You guys sure do spur a fella' on! Just got a call from an elderly friend about some loads for our Moisens, and I think I'm signing off now to go lube them up and load some. He needs to keep the loads light because of age and some fragility that's brung, but I almost get as big a kick out of seeing him get to shoot as I do from shooting them myself. Y'all keep it up, though, 'cause I WILL be BACK! ASAP, too! A bunch'a y'all ain't right, but ya' sure do know yer way around a meltin' pot! THANKS!