PDA

View Full Version : BPI slug manual

bbs383ci
01-18-2013, 09:39 AM
i recently received the BPI slug manual and the buckshot coyote manual, and i was kind of disappointed in this manuals due to the fact that since they are published by BPI, they use there products or the products they sell and not many products that you can get locally. i have a ton of remington gun club type hulls, premier, gold and a ton of the federal paper base wad hulls, i am trying to find a slug load for these hulls using claybuster wads, since i can get them locally.

does anyone have a decent slug and buckshot load using these wads?

thanks

Dustin

x101airborne
01-18-2013, 11:12 AM
I don't have a good recipe for you, but I bought that manual also and was disappointed.
I am currently working on a 16 gauge round ball load using Remington hulls and wads, but it is still in the infant stages.

bbs383ci
01-18-2013, 11:24 AM
well ihave been looking this morning and hodgdon has a load using the 7/8 and 1oz lee slug using winchester wads and HS-6 powder which is all something i can get locally.

may want to check it out i know they also have a few loads for buckshot using winchester wads.

longbow
01-18-2013, 12:14 PM
I would have to check but one of the best shotshell reloading manuals I have is Reloading for Shotgunners. It has probably the best variety of components listed for many, many loads and gives pressures usually starting at the light end/low velocity and working up to max pressure. Unfortunately the slug and buck section is somewhat limited as most manuals are.

I found the same problem in that I live in a reloading component dessert. It is very difficult to get much of anything much less variety so, I started collecting everything I could find on the internet from slug producers, powder producers, various forums (always cross reference loads posted by others before using!), magazine articles, etc. so I could cross reference and compare.

Overall, with slow powders, I do not worry about wad changes as long as the load fits. Also, I normally use large volume straight walled hulls. While not all the same several recipes simply state "...in any straight walled hull..." so I cross reference against other slug loads and shot loads then make an educated decision.

I agree with you on the BPI slug manual. I was expecting much greater variety but components listed are pretty limited as are powders.

If you have a recipe that includes hull, primer and powder charge at a known pressure then as long as it isn't pushing max. pressure a wad substitution should be fine.

Federal used to publish a reloading guide which has loads listed for the Federal hulls with paper basewad. I will take a look later to see if I can find any recipes for you in mine.

Do you have a powder and primer preference?

I guess I should add that from what I have seen, the hull and primer have the biggest effects on component substitutions for a given recipe. Obviously the powder charge is not toyed with except to possibly reduce it some.

A change from large volume straight walled hull to a compression formed or small capacity hull can have a large effect on pressure as can a simple primer change. I have several sources that show that just changing primer can affect pressure by up to 3000 PSI. That can take a safe near max load over the top!

So, best to follow published recipes as closely as possible ~ but within limits, wad changes should not have much effect except possibly with fast powders where less cushion leg may translate to less volume at ignition raising pressures.

Another option that allows for much variety in components is to use equal slug weight in a shot load. That will result in a safe load at somewhat lower pressure than the shot load due to less barrel friction... or that is the general thought anyway. They are not high performance slug loads but they are safe.

That's my take anyway.

Longbow

badboyparamedic
01-18-2013, 12:19 PM
My slug loads are:

AA Hulls
16.5 gr 0f Promo or 14 gr of 700X
Win 12AASL Wads
Win Primers
1oz Lee Key Drive Slugs

longbow
01-18-2013, 07:10 PM
Okay then. I took a look in the Federal reloading guide but oddly it does not have any info for the paper basewad hulls. I could have sworn it did but I do have quite a few slug and buck recipes for those hulls in other manuals though. What other components can you get?

- powder?
- primers?
- slug ~ type and weight?

Make a powder and primer choice to suit the hull and slug weight and type then pick a wad to suit the space left. If you want to load slugs into shotcups then your choices are Lyman sabot slug and Lee Drive key slug. There are lots of published loads for both.

Another option is round ball. Today I loaded up ten 0.662" RB's into Win AA red wads to test out using SR4756. I have gotten good results with those balls using Blue Dot but I am told that SR4756 is a better powder.

Longbow

bbs383ci
01-19-2013, 06:15 PM
I picked up some waa12sl wads last night, well claybuster not Winchester, I have clays powder but can get quite a few other types locally so usually powder isn't a problem. I am casting the 7/8oz lee slug and also casting .250 buckshot. I loaded a load of 17.5 grains of clays in a remington gun club hull with the claybuster wad with the slug and a fed 209 primer and it was really tight putting the slug into the wad. The load listed for using 11/8 oz shot so I figured shooting the 7/8 oz would be safe and jump speed up some, shot good but wouldn't eject from my a-5.

longbow
01-19-2013, 09:39 PM
I found my Lee slugs tight in Claybuster wads as well and wound up using a different Winchester shotcup (white but I can't remember the number). That one has a smaller cup and thinner petals. I haven't shot them yet so no range results.

Looking through my BPI slug loading manual their 7/8 oz slug loaded into Remington RTL over 18.1 grs. of Clays at 8600 LUP. Not sure how the RTL compares to the Gun Club hulls but I doubt you were seeing high pressure.

When you say "...wouldn't eject..." do you mean they stuck in the chamber or was it that they wouldn't operate the action?

I just had a quick look through Reloading for Shotgunners and only found two recipes for 1 1/8 oz. shot that show "high" pressure 0f 11,000+ psi with 17.5 grs. Clays ~ one in Remington Premier and one in Win AA and both using Windjammer wads. Odd but that is the black magic of shotshell reloading!

Did you use a nitro card wad under the slug? That helps keep the bottom of the shotcup flat and also keeps it from forcing into the base of the slug. It also raises the slug up inside the shotcup so it may fit better due to the taper in the petals. I normally use at least one 1/8" nitro card wad under a slug and usually I use two. 16 or 20 ga. nitro card wads work well or you can punch your own using a gasket punch.

If you haven't already, you should do a search for VdoMemories. Ajay has posted many good tips on loading slugs an what works with what.

Longbow

SuperBlazingSabots
01-19-2013, 10:28 PM
Greetings LongBow, it was the Clays powder that blew a chip of the chamber wall on my Savage F210 bolt action and I have done further tests on Clays and found out its not the powder for me as the pressure suddenly goes up and I find there are far better powder's around than wasting time with Clay's and nothing to gain!

Sorry for being negative about it.

Use caution and play it safe, trust but verify!

" No man is a failure, who is enjoying life" - William Feather

" A happy man is one who loads his own slugs and burn's powder at the range" - Blazing Sabots!

Time to start cooking your own, home cooked meal ( Sabot slug )

Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost!
Ajay
BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
Blazing Sabots, LLC
www.BlazingSabots.com
http://www.facebook.com/BlazingSabots?ref=hl
www.PreciousVideoMemories.com

longbow
01-20-2013, 03:18 AM
Ajay:

Yes, the Clays is a pretty fast powder. I do see some slug loads using it but there are better powders for sure. Or at least I think so.

I used up a pound of it in trap loads but didn't buy any more.

My go to powder so far for heavy slug loads has been Blue Dot. Not that I have used a large variety of powders for slugs so far but I have found Blue Dot to do what I want and it is (was) readily available. I currently have a bunch of slugs and round balls loaded over SR4756 and hope to try them out shortly.

Longbow

bbs383ci
01-20-2013, 10:49 AM
Longbow, the shell would not make the action work like it was a light load. And I can see sure a nitro card under the slug would help a lot. I will try to load up another with spacer under the slug. I can get blue dot, red dot, 4756, universal, herco, unique and several others locally.

If you could find the number of the wads you were talking about that would be helpful. I can also get Winchester and federal primers and maybe cci.

Thanks
Dustin

longbow
01-20-2013, 04:34 PM
If the load was "too light" to operate the action, it might not be generating enough pressure so yes the hull can affect that. if the hull volume is large then pressure will be lower. The compression formed/taper walled hulls have considerably less internal volume and so generate higher pressures with a given powder charge. What may be at good pressure for clean burn in one of those may well be to low a pressure for good burn in a large volume hull. That effect is probably worse with slower powders like Blue Dot.

I will pull out the books again later and check recipes. Unique should be a pretty good powder for such a light slug. Blue Dot, 4756 and Herco would all be best with heavy payload and "high" pressure loads. Red Dot is pretty fast but may be okay with the 7/8 oz slug. I doubt there are any slug specific recipes for it though.

Have you checked the Lee reloading data for the 7/8 oz slug? The Lee info is pretty limited but they do provide info for their slugs.

Longbow

6pt-sika
01-20-2013, 06:48 PM
I've gotten two of the BPI manuals . One for buckshot and the other for the 10 gauge . And to be honest their load data was of no use to me .

However ............................. I found a good many other things of intrest .

I am contemplating getting their 16 gauge manual at the moment .

longbow
01-20-2013, 07:36 PM
Something from BPI I found quite useful are their "bulletins" They used to charge $0.99 for them but I think they are $1.99 now. They are pages of specific reloading data. They have them listed on the site. I bought about everything they had for slugs and round balls. and also for short English style shotshell loads.

The slug and round ball loads are far more varied and useful than what is in the manual though I have used some of the manual info too.

Not sure if they have bulletins for buckshot loading but it is time for me to check to see what they have anyway so I will look.

Longbow

bbs383ci
01-20-2013, 10:40 PM
I did a referencing today after church, I I decided to use 18.5 grains of clays, since its what I have on hand at the moment, with the claybuster waa12sl wad and a 7/8 oz lee slug, it loaded great I haven't gotten a chance to go shoot it yet maybe some time this week. I also loaded up a load with steel powder but instead of using the vp65 wad I subbed it with a b&p32 in a ched hull and primer but with buckshot it's listed in the bpi buckshot manual.

ToysRUs
01-20-2013, 10:45 PM
Guys,
Am new here on a recommendation from a friend after talking to him about the lee 7/8 slug
Also looking for a low recoil training round. Everything I find is hunting 1500fps stuff.
after some research I have noticed that a WAA12L hull is a 7/8-1oz wad and the cup looks like it should hold this slug without having to space it up.
I wouldn't mind running Win AA hulls and W209 primers. I've seen some Green Dot loads that make me think this might be able to be tuned down.
I think an under 1100fps load can be found but its not like working up a metallic cartridge load......

Longbow, I'll watch and see if you find anything.

bbs383ci
01-21-2013, 12:04 AM
I am looking for some fast hard hitting slug loads. The low recoil slug loads are easy enough to put together, find load data for 11/8oz field loads and use the 7/8oz slug in place of the 11/8oz shot I did it the other night and it wouldn't cycle my auto loader.

ToysRUs
01-21-2013, 12:23 AM
I am looking for some fast hard hitting slug loads. The low recoil slug loads are easy enough to put together, find load data for 11/8oz field loads and use the 7/8oz slug in place of the 11/8oz shot I did it the other night and it wouldn't cycle my auto loader.

The cycling thing will be an issue.
I'm shooting a MKA 1919 AR style shotgun.
So I need to get it soft while still cycling...
It is a Gas gun so at least I have that!

longbow
01-21-2013, 12:33 AM
bbs383ci:

BPI lists Clays for 7/8 oz slugs in Fiocchi, Remington RTL and Winchester AA hulls. Depending on other components, the charge varies from 18.1 grs. to 20.8 grs. I see no other listing for Clays under slugs in my references.

Reloading for Shotgunners lists Unique and Herco.

The BPI manual lists several powder but you have that one.

None of my Lymans list anything under 1 oz. slug.

Another safe option is to use the Lee universal load data and substitute slug for shot by weight. Hah! i just looked and I can't find it on the internet anymore. I think it was published right on the Lee site. Okay then I attached a copy for you. It is pretty general and loads are mild but safe so it may give a few more options.

Also for ToysRUs, there is a Green Dot load there for 1 oz. that is quite mild at 1150 FPS so would be even more so with 7/8 oz. You can use any 7/8 or 1 oz. shot load and drop powder charge by a couple of grains to make it a lighter low recoil load ~ likely best with fast powder recipes. there are lots of 1100 to 1200 FPS loads to work with most manuals or powder manufacturer's websites.

Just remember that all the components work together so don't go wild with substitutions without cross referencing.

I hope that helps some.

Longbow

bbs383ci
01-21-2013, 08:34 AM
i seen a low speed load at gander mountain the other day it was 980fps, you could take this and pour the shot out cast a slug and put it back in there and that would be very low recoil load.

ToysRUs
01-21-2013, 09:18 AM
Thanks guys for all the info.
I'm going to start with the Green Dot 1oz load and see what I get.

Firebricker
01-21-2013, 02:41 PM
Longbow, Thanks for posting the Lee info. I've been thinking of buying the BPI slug manual since I already have lots of their components so if any of you guys don't want your I'll give your money back plus shipping. FB

ToysRUs
01-21-2013, 04:49 PM
Longbow,
I'm going to load a few with the 1oz 1150 FPS and then a few with the 1220 FPS load. Chrono them and see where I am and if i lose velocity. Then see if they will hit anything.
I am going to use the WAA12L wad as the shot cup is shorter and higher in the hull. Maybe no or a small nitro card to get the crimp height.
Thanks for your help