PDA

View Full Version : cure for the flu

oldarkie
01-18-2013, 08:39 AM
the flu is running rampent here in mo. and the whole nation. mabe we can get an executie order to get it stopped,just a thought.oldarkie

41 mag fan
01-18-2013, 10:11 AM
Sure obama says we can...but it'll be a trade off..yours and everyone elses guns and the flu will be no more in the U.S. and maybe he'll throw in the cure for the common cold too

smokeywolf
01-18-2013, 12:10 PM
The pharmaceutical companies would love the "O" to issue an exec. order forcing everyone to get flu shots. Just remember, those flu shots will have whatever the big pharmaceutical companies feel like putting in them, plus whatever the "O" wants added to them.

If you wanted to trigger a nation-wide panic that justified the government declaring martial law in say, the year 2033, you could have a sudden and massive flu epidemic with millions of folks dropping dead from a dormant flu strain that somehow contaminated the flu vaccine that so many people got during that big flu epidemic in the winter of 2012-2013.

But then again, our government would never kill off a couple of million innocent citizens in order to start a panic accompanied by armed citizens breaking into pharmacies, assaulting hospitals and justifying martial law and deployment of Federal Troops with orders to confiscate ALL citizen's firearms; just for public safety mind you.

No, the government would never intentionally harm innocent citizens in order to achieve total disarmament of the population......No, they are our government, and exist only to serve, protect, and help us. Our politicians would never violate their oath of office by subverting the Constitution or 'infringing' ANY of it's amendments.

Besides we have the FDA there putting the welfare of the American public ahead of pharmaceutical company profits. In spite of any money that the FDA or it's doctors and researchers might be receiving from the big pharmaceutical companies.

Yep! Sure am glad we have a Federal Government that is above any temptation to exert greater control over it's citizens or put corporate profits ahead of public interest, regardless of the tens, or is it hundreds, of millions of lobbying dollars big business gives to the political parties every year.

smokeywolf

Freightman
01-18-2013, 12:24 PM
Haven't taken a flu shot in over 20 years and not had the flu since '57 known more feel like they have the flu that took the shot.
PS I played a football game with 103 temp in '57 with the flu and didn't die and it was 25 degrees and we won and over half the team was sick. Got to be tough to survive.

tomme boy
01-18-2013, 12:36 PM
I got the shot 2 months ago. I just got over the flu yesterday. Sure glad I got the shot.:roll:

largom
01-18-2013, 12:47 PM
The last flu shot I got was 10 yrs. ago and I soon got the flu. No shots since but I did get the flu 3 wks. ago. Stayed in bed 3 days and took it easy for next 5 days. Only medication I took was Alka-Seltzer Plus. Fine now and no Dr. visit.

Larry

dragonrider
01-18-2013, 12:54 PM
Same here, last three years got a flu shot, got the flu, funny how that happens. No shot next year. JMHO but I think it's a scam.

waksupi
01-18-2013, 01:13 PM
Last time I got a flu shot, I also got sick as hell. No more.

oldarkie
01-18-2013, 01:15 PM
the power of executive order brings two words to mind ( zieg heil).

jcwit
01-18-2013, 01:15 PM
Haven't taken a flu shot in over 20 years and not had the flu since '57 known more feel like they have the flu that took the shot.
PS I played a football game with 103 temp in '57 with the flu and didn't die and it was 25 degrees and we won and over half the team was sick. Got to be tough to survive.

The last flu shot I got was 10 yrs. ago and I soon got the flu. No shots since but I did get the flu 3 wks. ago. Stayed in bed 3 days and took it easy for next 5 days. Only medication I took was Alka-Seltzer Plus. Fine now and no Dr. visit.

Same here, last three years got a flu shot, got the flu, funny how that happens. No shot next year. JMHO but I think it's a scam.

One of my best friends at the ripe old age of 54 came down with the flu last Saturday night, went to the hospital Sunday morning 4/5 AM, died before noon Sunday.

Ya It all a scam.

I skipped the polio shot when it came out, got polio, I beat cancer at 58, I take the shot every year, I'll take feeling under the weather for a day or two.

Something to consider, more people died from the flu in one year during WW1 than died from the whole war, and that was a bloody war.

Another thought, how did we eradicate small pox?

Also its not only all about "you" if you have a family, as most do.

Rick N Bama
01-18-2013, 01:35 PM
I have had a Flu shot every year for over 40 years without a problem (knocking on wood as we speak:) )

Rick

runfiverun
01-18-2013, 01:39 PM
the flu shot is to give you the flu.
it's a low grade of the virus so your body builds immunity to that strain.
if there is another strain going around, your body doesn't have the immunity built up to it and you get it anyway.
you'd have to get 3-4 flu shots to be covered and then your body would still only recognize the last one it got.
i'll take the flu that does come over taking the flu virus they predict might come.

oh there is a flu virus [epedimic] going around the country right now.

jcwit
01-18-2013, 03:55 PM
the flu shot is to give you the flu.
it's a low grade of the virus so your body builds immunity to that strain.
if there is another strain going around, your body doesn't have the immunity built up to it and you get it anyway.
you'd have to get 3-4 flu shots to be covered and then your body would still only recognize the last one it got.
i'll take the flu that does come over taking the flu virus they predict might come.

oh there is a flu virus [epedimic] going around the country right now.

Close but not quite fact.

The vaccine given by injection with a syringe is in fact a dead virus. The body does recognize this tho and builds antibodies to protect itself from getting the flu. Works very well protecting one from the strains it for. Some people do feel under the weather while the body is building the antibodies. They may in fact think they have the flu but actually do not and their sick feelings are not dangerous in any way.

runfiverun
01-18-2013, 04:16 PM
yeah that would splain the different virus vaccines.

jcwit
01-18-2013, 04:28 PM
The vaccine they give by nasal mist is a weakened form of live vaccine tho. It does in fact give a person a light form of the flu.

If only this flu would not mutate from year to year we could then get one shot and be done with it, much the same as we did with small pox years ago.

btroj
01-18-2013, 10:43 PM
The vaccine this year is about 65% effective in preventing the flu. Same as most other years.

Like jcwit said, the injected flu vaccine is a killed virus. The nasal most is attenuated virus. The flu shot can not give you the flu. Period. Impossible.

I have given over 500 flu show this year, did a similar number last year. Not a single complaint.

Get a shot, don't get one. I don't care. Getting the flu for most is not a big deal. Infants, the elderly, and those with lung disease are at risk of complications if they get the flu. the flu may not kill them but the pneumonia and other follow on infections certainly can.

waksupi
01-18-2013, 11:43 PM
If you don't get the flu from it, why was I always asked if I had ever had a bad reaction to previous flu shots?

tomme boy
01-19-2013, 12:20 AM
I'll tell ya what. I thought I was over this. It seems to have come back. I have stopped throwing up, but it will not stop coming out the other end. This has been since Monday. Been taking all kinds of fluids. But every time I eat something I have to lay down for an hour or so as it feels i'm going to throw up again.

I know you all wanted to hear this!

xs11jack
01-19-2013, 02:11 AM
That sounds more like Novovirus than flu.
Jack

Lloyd Smale
01-19-2013, 06:52 AM
I too had a bad reaction the first two times i got it. Since then ive been fine getting it though. My doctor told me that that reaction is caused by the fact you have a flue virus allready in you and your system gets a bit overloaded sending antibodys to fight the dead virus in the flue shot and it lets the virus you allready have in you come to a head. He said if you got sick from the shot you were probably about to get sick anyway.

jcwit
01-19-2013, 08:55 AM
If you don't get the flu from it, why was I always asked if I had ever had a bad reaction to previous flu shots?

You may get a reaction from the eggs is made of. People get reactions from most anything injected into their bodies, or for that matter taken orally.

What is a reaction? Similar to being allegoric to something, and that could be anything.

Heck, I'm allergic to all natural things, such as poison ivy.

btroj
01-19-2013, 09:19 AM
That isn't the flu Tomme, that is more likely Norovirus.

People refer to GI bugs as the "flu" bit they aren't truly influenza. The flu technically is an upper respiratory infection. Causes no GI symptoms.

btroj
01-19-2013, 09:23 AM
Waksupi, when we ask if you had a reaction to previous vaccination it is more a concern per extreme reactions. Some have seizures, anaphylaxis, and other serious, life threatening reactions.
I have only refused a few vaccination requests, all were people with known allergies to eggs. why inject a person with something made in an object they are allergic too? Nothing good could come from it.

There is so much bad info out there regarding vaccines. Bad health care info is as common as misconceptions about firearms. It is also equally annoying to me.

smokeywolf
01-19-2013, 04:59 PM
xs11jack, that's Norovirus. Norovirus is a particularly nasty virus that makes itself at home in your gastrointestinal tract. Bears a resemblance to food poisoning. Been there, done that.

jcwit and btroj are right. You don't get the flu from the injected, killed virus. The symptoms experienced following a flu shot are typically brought on by your own immune response. Not the killed flu virus itself.
The adverse reactions that are asked about prior to being given a flu shot are allergic reactions to the other components that are included in the serum. The most common allergic response is that experienced by people who are allergic to chicken eggs, as the virus is grown in fertile chicken embryos.

smokeywolf

smokeywolf
01-19-2013, 05:03 PM
jcwit and btroj, sorry for the redundancy. Somehow I missed your last posts.

smokeywolf

waksupi
01-19-2013, 07:02 PM
Waksupi, when we ask if you had a reaction to previous vaccination it is more a concern per extreme reactions. Some have seizures, anaphylaxis, and other serious, life threatening reactions.

I'm glad there are no side effects! [smilie=1:

jcwit
01-19-2013, 08:37 PM
I'm glad there are no side effects! [smilie=1:

Waksupi, many have side effects from hard work, even to the point of having a heart attack.

Many have side effects from washing parts off with petro products, to the best of knowledge that how I got leukemia. But it accured 40 years later.

scottiemom
01-19-2013, 09:00 PM
I work for a large hospital system. this year flu shots were mandatory for all employees. We would be terminated if we did not get a shot. Many hospital systems are requiring this of all employees. My only beef is that I work at home, see no patients and in fact, if I see 10 people in a week that is a lot. Had to get the shot anyway - my first one, no reaction just a sore arm for a few days.

Blacksmith
01-20-2013, 03:29 AM

Because the virus the shots are made from is grown in chicken eggs and some people are allergic to eggs.

blackthorn
01-20-2013, 01:07 PM
Ignoring the flu shot is sort of like melting lead or reloading without saftey glasses! Or maybe a better analogy is; it's like a fire prevention program --- if you don't have a (bad) fire was it because of the program or just luck?

DLCTEX
01-20-2013, 05:35 PM
I have gotten the flu shot for years and I have not had the flu. This year all those around me had it but I did not. I did get a bad cold. I need a cold shot. I used to treat the flu with a fifth of whiskey. It didn't prevent it or help me get well, but I didn't much care.:twisted:

jonk
01-21-2013, 12:46 AM
I'd say half the people I know who get the flu shot proceed to get the flu within days thereafter. OTOH, those who don't get the shot only get the flu every few years.

The flu is no big deal if you are otherwise healthy. Drink lots of fluid, bed rest, try to eat light meals, take your vitamins, and suck it up.

If I really thought it was just a vaccine I'd consider it, even so. But I'm suspicious that it's laced with something to make you sterile or mindless zombies or some such tinfoil hat stuff. Maybe not those, but something. No thanks.