PDA

View Full Version : scout mounts are good and aperture sights are good so............

sthwestvictoria
01-18-2013, 06:23 AM
Not sure if this is directly in line with what Cooper (or Skinner Sights) intended:

It is for sale:
http://www.shooting.com.au/forum/index.php?/classifieds/item/2774-winchester-30-30-1894/

I'll Make Mine
01-18-2013, 08:17 AM
Need a pretty good sized aperture that far forward -- otherwise it's like trying to look through a keyhole from across the room.

starmac
01-18-2013, 02:19 PM
That seems to take away the two strong points from the sight. Easier to see and longer sight radius, or am I missing something?

pietro
01-18-2013, 03:02 PM
Yep, best practice indicates that a peep sight be as close to the eye as practicable, for both optimal speed & accuracy.

My $0.02: Those barrel-mounted peeps are made to be attractive to unaware folks, or folks unwilling to do what it takes to mount a receiver or tang peep sight, including calculating a new front sight height (if needed for zeroing) - IOW, the easy way out/quick fix.

BruceB
01-18-2013, 04:03 PM
Yep, best practice indicates that a peep sight be as close to the eye as practicable, for both optimal speed & accuracy.

My $0.02: Those barrel-mounted peeps are made to be attractive to unaware folks, or folks unwilling to do what it takes to mount a receiver or tang peep sight, including calculating a new front sight height (if needed for zeroing) - IOW, the easy way out/quick fix.

Amen, amen, and AMEN!

Many makers of the "aperture" sights now on the market IGNORE the basic principles of the type. The closer to the eye, the better, as long as recoil doesn't endanger the shooter's eye.

To see a truly PRACTICAL aperture for field use, look at a #4 Enfield's battle sight.....unknowing people say it's too big, but very good shooting can be done with it in very short time frames.

I had my wife measure eye-to-aperture distance on a variety of my rifles as I shouldered them .....I seem to recall that the average distance for GOOD setups on high-power rifles was about 3-3.5", and NOT the six or eight inches that some installations give us these days.

My first (and only) modification to Garands and M14 types is radically enlarging the issue aperture diameter. I have taken them out as far as 3/16", and they were greatly improved for PRACTICAL field shooting. They are decent target sights as issued, but really need a larger hole for service use.

Pepe Ray
01-18-2013, 06:36 PM
For BruceB;
Thank you.
I'm so happy that you have the patience to explain these things to the noobies (and so many who aren't).
God Bless You.
Pepe Ray

Any Cal.
01-18-2013, 06:40 PM
May not be optimal, but I modded a Mosin battle sight into a barrel mounted peep and it worked OK. It got better groups like that than the open sights, though 'better' is still a relative term...:-)

I imagine that a person could eventually learn to use most anything to the best advantage given enough time.

Don McDowell
01-18-2013, 07:22 PM
The aperature in that sight might be a touch small, but there's sure no arquing with the affectiveness of the buffington sight on the trapdoors and Krag rifles.
Marbles makes an aperature sight to replace the "buckhorn", and I really like the way the old One Ragged Hole sight works on my Winchesters.

TXGunNut
01-19-2013, 07:49 PM
The aperature in that sight might be a touch small, but there's sure no arquing with the affectiveness of the buffington sight on the trapdoors and Krag rifles.
Marbles makes an aperature sight to replace the "buckhorn", and I really like the way the old One Ragged Hole sight works on my Winchesters.

I have a couple of 1RH rear sights, one on a Ruger Blackhawk and another on a Winchester Trapper 94AE (both in 45 Colt). Great product, hope someone continues to make something like them. When it comes to peeps I prefer receiver or tang sights but sometimes that isn't feasible. Both have relatively large apertures and make quick accurate shots easier, even under low light conditions.

Don McDowell
01-20-2013, 12:03 PM
Yeh they work good don't they?

ironhead7544
01-20-2013, 07:01 PM
I didnt think it would work very well either. But I bought an AK with the Mojo aperture sight. Replaces the stock rear sight in the same position. Worked just fine, much better than the narrow stock notch. Takes a little getting used to is all.

TXGunNut
01-23-2013, 02:00 PM
Yeh they work good don't they?

Yes, they do. Guess he wasn't making enough off them to stay in business, very reasonable prices and well made. Marbles sight looks promising too, suspect one of my Winchesters will be wearing one soon. Thanks for the tip, I just can't bear to put a scope on a Winchester levergun.

Don McDowell
01-23-2013, 03:55 PM
Yes, they do. Guess he wasn't making enough off them to stay in business, very reasonable prices and well made. Marbles sight looks promising too, suspect one of my Winchesters will be wearing one soon. Thanks for the tip, I just can't bear to put a scope on a Winchester levergun.

I believe what got his deal started down hill was his call up to active duty in Irag/Afghanistan, and of course while gone on that little trip, the internet rumor mill had a heyday, and then when he got back an illness may have taken him , I am not sure, but at one point those were thought highly enough of that Brownells listed them in their catalog. But by the time all that got straightened out it was common knowledge even by folks that had never saw, bought, used, or attempted any of those, to soundly condemn them as an inferior product sold by a fella some what below Bernie Madov and co.... Both of which were/are blatant untruths.

TXGunNut
01-23-2013, 05:39 PM
I seem to recall a rather cryptic message on his website shortly before it shut down, may have been referring indirectly to an illness. I guess I missed the bad reviews, I bought mine from a gunshop/range owner after seeing and using them on his weapons. They were simple, well made and inexpensive. Can't figure out how someone could find fault with that other than pure malice or ignorance.
Looks like Warren Custom Outdoors is offering a very similar sight now.

Don McDowell
01-23-2013, 06:57 PM
I saw someone talking about one of those on another board. I googled em up and sho nuff looks like Warren has brought back the entire ORH lineup. http://warrencustomoutdoor.com/ohs-winchester.html
Hope it's successful for them.