PDA

View Full Version : FREECHEX III new user

Griz44mag
01-18-2013, 01:05 AM
Well, all the parts and pieces finally showed up.
Charlie sent the 224 FREECHEX III and Harbour Freight finally delivered the 1 ton arbor press.
Following the template from several users here, I drilled a block of wood to hold the tool, screwed it through the bottom of the press to hold it in place, anchored the press to the bench, and consumed the sample sheet of material in about 15 minutes.
It works, and works very well.
I will get some bullets cast next weekend, and load them up.
If you have any desire at all to make your own checks, this is an excellent way to go about it.
With supplies of just about everything becoming scarce, this makes sure I can have rifle bullets that I cast myself available when nothing else is available.

leowa
01-18-2013, 04:51 PM
griz can you tell me where you got that one

Griz44mag
01-18-2013, 08:33 PM
The gas check maker or the arbor press?

The gas check cutter came direct from Charlie at FREECHEX.
The arbor press came from Harbor Freight.

Update, the copper foil (.010) arrive today so I cut a strip and made some copper chexs.
They sure do look nice!

Griz44mag
01-19-2013, 10:10 AM
Ben,
.011 is the max thickness that Charlie recommended for 22 caliber.
What caliber did you try the .095 with? (Any pictures?)
Since this is my first foray into making my own gas checks instead of paying Hornady 3 or 4 cents each for them, I am listening (intently) to others who have been there, done that.
I will cast a new batch of RCBS 82007 bullets this weekend and gas check them next weekend.

tjones
01-19-2013, 11:23 AM
Ben,
.011 is the max thickness that Charlie recommended for 22 caliber.
What caliber did you try the .095 with? (Any pictures?)
Since this is my first foray into making my own gas checks instead of paying Hornady 3 or 4 cents each for them, I am listening (intently) to others who have been there, done that.
I will cast a new batch of RCBS 82007 bullets this weekend and gas check them next weekend.

From the Copper state: There are almost too many alloys of copper to count. I really like brass.
tj

Ben
01-19-2013, 11:42 AM
Griz44mag

My apologies, I'm accustomed to working with .30 cal., not .224 . I should have read your post for more details.

Again sorry,

Ben

Big Boomer
01-19-2013, 03:45 PM
Griz44Mag: You told us about everything except what you paid for the gas check maker and the arbor press. That info would give some of us neophytes a better idea of what a beginner's cost might be.
'Tuck (as in Kentuck)

Roger Ronas
01-19-2013, 04:22 PM
I ordered a freechex III and it cost 102.50 shipped in USA. HF arbor press the 1 ton was 47.00 but I had a 20% off coupon so it was about 42.00 w/tax.

Roger

Griz44mag
01-19-2013, 04:35 PM
Ditto what Roger said. Those were my costs almost exactly.
Since I have a few friends that also want to start doing gas chex, they will contribute some cash to the chex making as well, helping to offset the cost.
I figure after the first 7,000 chex made, we will be pretty close to breaking even considering the cost of the equipment amd material vs the cost of buying Hornady factory chex, which I had been doing. What prompted me to jump in was the lack of available jacketed bullets and the cost of commercially made chex.

Ben, no problem, I am here to learn, and since I will be adding a 30 cal chex in the next month or so, I am very respectful and interested in your experience. That keeps me from spending money I don't need to spend. I prefer copper for chex, but after doing some investigation into brass (ie TEJONES post) I may look for some brass material to try.

I do appreciate all the information I get here, the accumulated experience of the members of cast boolits is astounding!

Ben
01-19-2013, 11:18 PM
Ben, no problem, I am here to learn, and since I will be adding a 30 cal chex in the next month or so, I am very respectful and interested in your experience. That keeps me from spending money I don't need to spend. I prefer copper for chex, but after doing some investigation into brass (ie TEJONES post) I may look for some brass material to try.

Griz44mag

I've made and shot thousands of .30 cal.cast bullets with gas checks made with Pat Marlin's g/c Making tool and a FC III tool. I've had no luck at all with .009 " ( or thinner ) metals for gas checks in .30 caliber.

Ironically, I've also had a considerable amount of problems with .016 or thicker metals on my .30 cal. cast bullets.

.014 Amerimax Aluminum is my choice , day in and day out, for economical and accurate gas checks made with my 2 current gas check making tools.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/PICT0003-28.jpg

MaxJon
01-20-2013, 08:19 AM
Whats the best Check maker to get? and where from?

Ben
01-20-2013, 09:00 AM
bullbarrel033

You're going to get a variety of answers on this one. Sort of like asking what is the best rifle caliber ?

Ben

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-21-2013, 02:32 PM
Griz44Mag: You told us about everything except what you paid for the gas check maker and the arbor press. That info would give some of us neophytes a better idea of what a beginner's cost might be.
'Tuck (as in Kentuck)
'Tuck,
FCIII in 22 cal. $100
My USA made Arbor press purchased from scrap metal recycler (he has lots more) $25
3/8" scrap steel plate 20¢ per lb from a jobsite I work at once in a while.

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/assembled.jpg

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-21-2013, 02:34 PM
That depends on what Check you want to make...and if that manufacturer will ship to OZ.

Griz44mag
01-21-2013, 08:42 PM
JonB,
I just love old steel.
What would it take to sweet talk you into picking one of those up for me?

Wal'
01-22-2013, 08:01 AM

I think as best I know.......there are only two & they both ship to Australia,, the Freechex 3 & PatMarlins who is a sponsor on this site. http://www.patmarlins.com/

If you want to use plain base checks then Pat is your man & Yonky back in the good old motherland has a good supply of aluminum sized coils, also a member here. http://www.coilandfoil.com/

Jeff Michel
02-18-2013, 07:33 PM
Ben,
I just order a Freechex tool in .30 caliber, so I'm going to be on the learning curve for a while. My question if I may.... I think I measured thirty rolls of Amerimax flashing and they all measured .01-.011. I've been to Lowe's, Ace and Home depot and all offerings were the same. In the enclosed information, .014 is recommended and you have said the same. Where are you getting your aluminum stock?
Thank you,
Jeff Michel

Griz44mag

I've made and shot thousands of .30 cal.cast bullets with gas checks made with Pat Marlin's g/c Making tool and a FC III tool. I've had no luck at all with .009 " ( or thinner ) metals for gas checks in .30 caliber.

Ironically, I've also had a considerable amount of problems with .016 or thicker metals on my .30 cal. cast bullets.

.014 Amerimax Aluminum is my choice , day in and day out, for economical and accurate gas checks made with my 2 current gas check making tools.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/PICT0003-28.jpg

skeet1
02-18-2013, 08:17 PM
Jeff Michel
I had saved this on my computer from someone else's post but can't remember from who. I hope this helps. In purchasing more aluminum I think I would get a coil from Yonky in England I'm sure you can find him on this form.

Ken

Amerimax Aluminum is hard to beat. Cheap and many shooters are getting great results, plus the .014 is accurate as all get out.

Order from your local Ace Hardware- Amerimax part #68104 for the .014 4"X 50' aluminum flashing roll. If not in your local Ace Hardware store, have them check their warehouse. They offer free shipping to your local store.

Amerimax different types and thickness. The thinner stuff maybe tempered hard. Take your micrometer with you to check when buying at the store.

AMERIMAX Aluminum flashing model name and thickness:
http://www.amerimax.com/productdetai...1&iSubCatID=5#

Versa alum-.0078
Economy alum-.0092
Commercial alum-.0167
STANDARD alum-.014 (part #68104)

One (1) 4"X 50' Amerimax roll will make 10,399 gas checks with the Checkmaker™ dies in 30 caliber. That's less than $1.50 per thousand. My dies produce 1144 checks out of 264 sq inches.

How's that for efficiency?

Ace Part # 58012 $16.99

skeet1
02-18-2013, 08:24 PM
Jeff Michel
I just found Yonky's web page address www.coilandfoil.com I'm sure he can fix you up with what ever you need.

Ken

Jeff Michel
02-19-2013, 03:45 AM
Now THAT is helpful!
Thank you,
Jeff Michel

dg31872
02-24-2013, 01:41 AM
Just curious, does this check crimp on the boolit or is it a slip-on? Also, how much time is required to make a hundred or so? I ordered a Mehec 22 Nato mould and now can't find gas checks. Looks like I need to get on the bankwagon!

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-24-2013, 12:28 PM
using .008" lith plate I can't pick the check off the shank with my fingernail...seems crimped on enough for me.

I can made 100 in about 15 minutes...maybe 20 ?
Jon

dg31872
02-24-2013, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the reply. Is the Freechex III the way to go? Seems like there are several choices and I would like to do it right the first time (for the first time in my life!) And where do I get .008 lith plate. If this has been answered before is another thread or sticky, please just head me in that direction. Thanks a bunch. Dennis. Also, I've been checking Blammers space and can never find and 22 G.C., I guess I'm just too slow.

altheating
02-25-2013, 08:01 AM
JonB, Not sure how you are making them, but I have been cranking out roughly 1200 22 cal checks in about 15 minutes. DG31872, check with your local newspaper printer. We get ours from the local Pennysaver, We got 10 sheets the first time and I think I still have five sheets left. We just received a second stack of twenty sheets last week. So far I have punched out a bit over 22,000 (that's right twenty two thousand of them)The Freecheks III is the way to go IMHO. Just cut the strips and start punching them out. Every punch produces one complete check ready to affix to your boolit. No two step system. They do stay attached. I gave Screwbolts a bunch to try. He found all the checks on the ground at the base of his 130 yard steel plate. Blammers checks are great, we have used a bunch, but at 17 bucks a thousand it really makes sense to get the Freechex tool. A bit over 5000 home made checks pays for the tool. PS, I just timed it, 28 checks in 32 seconds! That's with precut strips.

dragon813gt
02-25-2013, 08:58 AM
After having used both Amerimax and Yonky's offerings, buy from Yonky. Having it precut is nice. But the aluminum just plain cuts better with less material fouling. This is especially noticeable with .008 used for 357 checks.

As for making 100 checks. That might take about five minutes id you're going slow. Once you're in a rhythm they fly out of the tool.

dg31872
02-25-2013, 09:09 AM
Thank you all for your advice. Looks like I have a new direction in casting to get cracking on. The learning never stops!

altheating
02-25-2013, 10:31 AM
Here are a couple of pics. About 3500 checks in about 55 minutes this morning. That pace for about an hour is about all you want to do.6237562377

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-25-2013, 10:58 AM
JonB, Not sure how you are making them, but I have been cranking out roughly 1200 22 cal checks in about 15 minutes.
I haven't gear'd up for fast production...maybe I underestimated my # per 15 minute ???
BUT I ain't anywhere near 1200 checks in 900 seconds [smilie=2:...that's flying !!!

I don't have that kind of dexterity and coordination.
also I seen your photo above
of your checks and strips.
I cut the strips a little wider and punch checks out of
both sides...yeah it's slower, but the skin-flint that I am,
I think I get a few more checks per sq. ft. ??? Maybe ???
I haven't found a free source for the lith plate yet either.
Jon

altheating
02-25-2013, 08:25 PM
Much faster with thinner strips and you don't have to worry about being "bitten" by the left over holes. That stuff is like concertina wire!

pt4u2nv
02-26-2013, 02:02 PM
Much faster with thinner strips and you don't have to worry about being "bitten" by the left over holes. That stuff is like concertina wire!

I'll go along with that. Learned real quick to go with single strips.....cuts on my hand remind me .

JKH
02-27-2013, 04:15 PM
Anyone looking for .008" newspaper lith plate can contact me, I supply many of Charlies customers who buy .22 and .38/.357 Frechex III tools as this is the size and type material he designed the tools around.

I have sold a lot of lith plate to members here going back 3, maybe 4 years. Personally since I started using one of Charlies original Freechex II tools when first introduced, I use nothing else after chasing down all kinds of aluminum flashing and coil stock, now I will make my mold fit my checks :)

Jeff