PDA

View Full Version : JPW substitute

Alstep
01-17-2013, 07:35 PM
I was wondering if Minwax, or Simonize, or bowling alley wax, or other paste waxes is similar to JPW? Your thoughts, Please.

Wayne S
01-17-2013, 08:21 PM
Back in mid 2010 when I went looking for JPW, every store in my area was out, something to do with problems at the factory because the shortage was nation wide, anyway, someone here mentioned "Trewax", and as best I remember claimed it had a higher % of Carnuba wax than JPW.
I used it to make the 45/45/10 T/L. I haven't given it a good test yet.

Hamish
01-17-2013, 08:46 PM
Have a few minutes? @(;^]#>::

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?67654-Tumble-Lubing-Made-Easy-amp-Mess-Free

Interspersed is info on different subs for JPW.

blikseme300
01-18-2013, 03:31 AM
Minwax works just fine. Read the link in the previous post as there is much information there.

Wrbjr
01-27-2013, 07:58 PM
Bought some Minwax today at Lowe's. It did not list ingredients, so I visited their website and looked up MSDS sheets. No Carnuba at all listed. I emailed them to be sure. So there's wax and then there is Carnuba wax. What is the difference and why is it important to this mix vs straight paste wax without Carnuba?

NMLRA Guy
01-27-2013, 08:20 PM
I assume that JPW is Japan Wax. SOme yearsw ago I obtained a BIG supply of artificial japan wax. Donno what the difference is but we used some in bullet lube with good results.

NMLRA Guy
01-27-2013, 08:24 PM
Another observation made years ago is that my powde flask used for black powder would jam up from the powder in the spring mechanism. One drop of sperm (whale oil legal back then) on the joint would instantly free it up. Mineral oil would not. Never tried ATF but since it replaced whale oil in automatic transmissions, it may do as well.

Wrbjr
01-27-2013, 09:04 PM
So Carnuba at 5-10% of Johnson's Paste Wax is the good stuff. Too bad we can't get any here anymore. Minwax apparently has NO Carnuba in it. So I guess we must re-invent the wheel.

AZ-JIM
01-27-2013, 09:48 PM
Funny enough, I was on a mission today as well for JPW (Johnsons paste wax, not japan wax as thought in a previous post)Lowes and Home Depot dont carry it but Ace hardware does ( mine does anyway). But HD did have some Howards paste wax and it does list carnuba as one of the ingreedients.....will it work? Dont know. This mission was the begining of my first attempt at making something other than the 50/50 beeswax alox......so many things to try and so little time!

rsrocket1
02-03-2013, 11:50 PM
Every Walmart I've been to has Johnson's Paste Wax in the Broom and Cleaner section. Strange that there are some that can't find it.

Hardcast
02-08-2013, 12:03 AM
Every Walmart I've been to has Johnson's Paste Wax in the Broom and Cleaner section. Strange that there are some that can't find it.

I went to the Super Walmart in Frankfort, Indiana today and looked in the broom/mop section. They had floor cleaners and other floor products, but no paste wax. So I found a manager who knows the store products. She told me they do not carry JPW or any paste floor wax. I guess I'll get mine from Amazon.

wch
02-08-2013, 05:43 AM
You have to remember that WalMart has the most sophisticated buying and ordering system in the retail world.
If they tried JPW in a store or a district and it didn't sell as well (according to their parameters) as they wanted, you won't find it as part of the merchandise list for that entity.
Also, the merchandising changes with store size; more shelf space means more merchandise selection.
No, gents, all WalMarts are not created equal.

Hardcast
02-09-2013, 07:03 PM
JPW - Found it! Went into Lowe's today and there it was with the floor cleaning products. $4.99 a can. Even with sales tax that's cheaper than Amazon. I'll be trying to make a pot of lube soon. :)

sixpointfive
02-10-2013, 03:29 AM
I was wondering why is the Alox mixed with wax, Isn't the Alox good on its own?

Idaho Sharpshooter
02-10-2013, 03:39 AM
JPW is found at nearly every woodworking store I have visited.

mold maker
02-10-2013, 10:18 AM
I always check the clearance isle at Wally World, and several weeks ago there were 9 cans of JPW at $3.00 a can. Guess who now has a shelf full. Guess that means they wont stock it anymore.
Sure glad I'm frugal and shop the clearance isle.
Before retirement, I got JPW out of a 55 gal drum at work, and never worried about it. If I had only known how hard it was to buy.

sixpointfive
02-10-2013, 07:27 PM
What is the benefit of mixing JPW with alox vs using alox alone?

melchior
02-14-2013, 02:11 AM
What is the benefit of mixing JPW with alox vs using alox alone?
Speaking only from my own experience, the JPW (I used Trewax) gets rid of the stickiness of the dried lube, and the Carnauba seems to clean the bore leaving it shiny-clean.

runfiverun
02-14-2013, 03:28 AM
actually you are mixing the alox with the jpw.
the biggest benefit is that you are using less alox.