PDA

View Full Version : NOE 225-55 gr FN....WOW

Jal5
01-17-2013, 06:38 PM
I just received my new mold in the mail after ordering it Sunday evening. Great service.
Now I know what you guys have been talking about with these custom molds being a work of art!
I think I am going to have to move up in class in all my molds now....groan :(
I see a lot more expenses coming up in the future- does this never stop?

Thanks Al really good work and service,
Joe

CWME
01-17-2013, 07:18 PM
It shoots as good as it looks too!

ShooterAZ
01-17-2013, 07:20 PM
Very well worth the $$. I just got one too, 432-200-RF 4 cavity. Worked perfectly right out of the box.

Screwbolts
01-18-2013, 09:41 AM
Welcome to the addiction.

Wait to you actually use it , you will find it very easy to cast 1000+ quality boolitz in a a very short time.

nanuk
01-19-2013, 05:13 AM
TTIUWOP

:drinks:

bmiller
01-19-2013, 09:42 AM
I received mine quickly after I ordered it, that's great with the things going on now. Have not had a chance to use it yet, but am very impressed with the quality . This is my first non-Lee mold.

altheating
01-19-2013, 11:58 AM
I just received my two 225-55's and have one other. Cant wait to try them in a newly acquired Charles Daly 222. That boolit works so well with two of my other 222's, two 223 bolt guns and my almost illegal AR's. You will like it.

Jal5
01-20-2013, 10:28 PM
I prepped about 200 cases this weekend. Still waiting for my checks and sizer die to arrive.

Can I use range lead for this mold maybe water drop them?

Jal5
01-23-2013, 09:55 PM
Success- I cast about 200 boolits with the NOE mold tonite- too cold in the garage to do much more! Leaving the door even two inches open made the house really cold.

I used my range scrap+some solder, the same as I use for .270 boolits and those are working out ok.

After a few trials they came out pretty good. shiny boolits but I am getting more wrinkles than I like but I think I will just clean it up more and make sure all the oils are out of the mold. This is my first 4 cav mold and it takes some getting used to in pouring technique compared to the 2 cav molds I have. The measurements were .225-.226 on the driving band and in all other respects looked pretty good. I have to weigh them to see what kind of wgt. variation I got but I am pleased for the first casting! Joe

Bullwolf
01-25-2013, 12:45 AM
My NOE 225-55gr FN arrived today as well. Coincidentally so did a set of Lee 6 cavity handles from Titan Reloading. Now that's what I call timing. I think I ordered the mould on Sunday or Monday night. I was pleased that it showed up so quickly.

It's a great looking boolit mould. A lot of thought, and quality control seems to have been put into it when compared with an average out of the box Lee mould. You can tell quickly just by looking at it, and how well things fit together while assembling the block halves.

I was surprised to find that instructions were included, along with a couple of hex wrenches. I liked that allen hex head fasteners were used. Even more surprising, a little bottle of sprue plate lube was also included, and a small aluminum widget that I assume is some kind of boolit chamfering tool.

http://noebulletmolds.com/orders/catalog/images/22555gr.FN4cavityGC%20001-F640x480.jpg

I hope to cast with it this weekend, after I degrease, and heat cycle the mould a few times. This is the first NOE product that I have purchased, and I strongly suspect it won't be the last.

- Bullwolf

altheating
01-25-2013, 07:07 AM
The widget is the top punch for your sizer/lubricator.

41 mag fan
01-25-2013, 07:26 AM
Each mold from Al a top punch is included specifically for that style of boolit.
Once you get yourhands on a top quality mold, you'll never want another Lee mold ever again.

Jal5
01-25-2013, 11:49 AM
41 mag fan you hit the nail on the head!
I see many more $$$ for future NOE molds as I upgrade from my Lee molds. NOE mold drops boolits almost perfectly just with washing and running it up to heat cycle a few times. I was really impressed. Tough to keep the mold hot enough though, with those tiny boolits.

Joe

Bullwolf
01-26-2013, 12:36 AM
The widget is the top punch for your sizer/lubricator.

Each mold from Al a top punch is included specifically for that style of boolit.
Once you get your hands on a top quality mold, you'll never want another Lee mold ever again.

Ah thank you for clearing that up guys. That actually makes a lot more sense.

Lately I have been tumble lubing everything that I cast. It has been so long since I have used anything but a Lee push through sizing die, that I may have forgotten how to use my old lubrisizer. (a Lyman 4500 I believe)

- Bullwolf

bmiller
01-28-2013, 07:53 AM

Tried my mold out for the first time yesterday, very happy!

Jal5
01-28-2013, 08:16 AM
Yeah you can make a lot of good boolits quickly with that mold!

imsoooted
01-28-2013, 10:27 PM
been lurking, trying to decide if i should start casting for my AR....any idea what the alloy hardness is? also, what is the availability of gas checks? sorry if this is a hijack....
soooted

Jal5
01-29-2013, 12:00 AM
My guess with range scrap mine are medium hard. Gas checks are easy to find on this site, contact Blammer.
Good luck I will continue to post my progress over the next weeks on this project.
I may need a harder alloy we will see!

bmiller
01-29-2013, 06:33 PM
Got to shoot some today, my 16" m&p didn't like them at all. 5" at 25 yards. My old h-bar with 1 in 7 twist liked them less than 1" at 25. Shot both 18 and 19 grains of h4895. Would get fliers every so often in the h-bar. Thinking they might not have been seated correctly. Still learning, feel like I am getting away with something shooting an Ar this cheap now!

imsoooted
01-29-2013, 08:11 PM
bmiller, pm sent

bmiller
01-29-2013, 10:31 PM
Pm answered

Jal5
01-30-2013, 12:36 PM
bmiller keep working at it. I haven't shot any of these yet. But everything I have read here and elsewhere indicates that it is a challenge to get cast boolits to shoot accurately in the AR15. Remember to only change one thing at a time in your load development so you can track what is causing improvements, etc. What seating problems are you having? I scrutinized my boolits pretty thoroughly with a lot of rejects for rounded bands, wrinkles, and large weight variations, and finished up putting on the checks last night. I kept the boolits that looked good and were in a range of 61.6-62.1 gr. For load development, I will work with a .2 or .3 tenth spread, I haven't decided which yet. I am trying to go slow and deliberately eliminate as many variables as i can to see where the accuracy will end up. I will do a lube tonite with the pan lubing method then I am ready to load them up. Joe

billyjt454
02-16-2013, 06:35 PM
Swede is great, i just sent my 225-55 to have it drilled and get the mold thermometer from him. I have bugged him as i am new to the casting, he has been very nice and very helpful. looking forward to getting the 60 grn HP down the road.