PDA

View Full Version : Double lubing long boolits

Wayne S
01-17-2013, 05:14 PM
Looking at two bullets, the RCBS 200 Sil. & the Saeco 301 [RG-4], their noses are a lot of bare alloy.
I'm just wondering if anyone has T/Led either of these bullets in the 45./45/10 mix, then sized & put lube in the lube groove, and was there any improvement in accuracy by doing this, or as we say, nice try but no C-gar today

runfiverun
01-17-2013, 05:23 PM
i'm constantly amazed at how much lead can make contact with a barell and how little lube is really needed to get things done.
however i have also seen an uptick in accuracy when a miniscule amount of lube is placed on the nose of a bore rider.

Mugs
01-18-2013, 01:19 PM
Wayne
The boolit in my avatar is the RCBS 200 sil. With the lube grove filled i was geting a very heavy lube star and unexplained flyers. When lubed like the avatar with just lube in the grove ahead of the gas check is what shot those groups. I was suprised it worked that well. In a good barrel I think alot of boolits are overlubed.
Mugs

rockrat
01-18-2013, 01:28 PM
Your gun will let you know if it likes the extra lube or not. I have a couple of guns that love to have the entire boolit tumbled in LLA (thinned a bunch), then lubed normally. Others will do shotgun patterns if I tumble lube the boolits first.

geargnasher
01-18-2013, 10:03 PM
Your gun will let you know if it likes the extra lube or not. I have a couple of guns that love to have the entire boolit tumbled in LLA (thinned a bunch), then lubed normally. Others will do shotgun patterns if I tumble lube the boolits first.

Yup. At one time I was going to do some serious testing to see if the accuracy improvement (when it improved) was due to slightly mismatched nose size vs. true bore size, but never did enough shooting to pin it down. My theory was that oversized noses may need a little extra lube/film strength to help guide them evenly and straight into the rifling rather than digging in on the first side that touches, and that the lube film made up in some way for very slightly undersized noses.

Anyway, sometimes it helps, sometimes it hurts, sometimes you can't tell the difference. Worth a shot, though.

Gear

Von Gruff
01-18-2013, 11:00 PM
I have made a rack so that the cartridge can hang with the nose down, so really it is a piece of light ply with just larger than neck sized holes in it. I have tried variations on the sizing and lubing theme from push through size and seating GC (dry-unlubed) then lubing in the lubrisizer and after loadind in the case have diped the nose (to the front of the drive band) in double thinned LLA and hung then in the rack to drain. After an hour or two the finest of films is on the nose with the majority having drained down to a drip on the meplat which I wipe off on a rag and stand the cartridges the right way up in their ammpo box and give them 24 hours before use. Got the best accuracy doing that but way too much for hunting ammo which groups about 1/4 moa more - in this particular 7x57 rifle. Am playing with a 6.5 now so will see what it lies.