PDA

View Full Version : New hot plate for warming brass molds

foxtrapper
01-17-2013, 04:23 PM
This is my first brass Miha mold. I've been using aluminum molds that I place on top of my 10lb Lee pot to warm. Now it's been recommended that the brass molds like to run hot, so I bought a variable heat Sunbeam hot plate. Do I place the closed mold directly on the plate to heat and for how long? I don't want to ruin this mold.... It's so pretty!

Walter Laich
01-17-2013, 05:56 PM
What works for me is to put the mold on the hot plate for about 5-10 min with the dial half way between warm and the next setting above that.

I know I've gone a bit long if the spur plate tears out some of the bullet bases when I cut the spur. I just wait a bit and let the mold cool a bit and get back to casting.

If I'm getting wrinkled bullets I didn't let the mold warm up enough. Either fast casting and throw the bullets back or back on hot plate.

You will need to play with yours to see what works for you. You won't hurt the mold unless you plan to get above 1500 F

dragon813gt
01-17-2013, 06:10 PM
Every hot plate is different so you will have to play with the temp setting. I have a GE one and used to have to run it full bore to warm the mold up enough. I have since cut a coffee can in half and place that over the mold. I now only have to turn it up to just below half. It also takes less time to warm it up.

blackthorn
01-17-2013, 07:52 PM
You can lay an old circular saw blade on coil style hot plate burners to even out the heat.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-17-2013, 08:03 PM
This is my first brass Miha mold. I've been using aluminum molds that I place on top of my 10lb Lee pot to warm. Now it's been recommended that the brass molds like to run hot, so I bought a variable heat Sunbeam hot plate. Do I place the closed mold directly on the plate to heat and for how long? I don't want to ruin this mold.... It's so pretty!
while I can't tell you what setting or how long?
a good thing to do with a new brass mold is to heat the mold to casting temp, them let cool...do this 3 or 4 times...mold blocks open
read this thread
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?169575-Brass-Patina-Recipe&highlight=patina
Jon

41 mag fan
01-18-2013, 11:15 AM
I took a big green bean can from Walmart cut a hole in it that'll let my molds fit thru and set it on the hotplate, turn my hotplate on a med/low setting and get busy with my pot getting it set up.
Using something under the molds puts a barrier between the mold and the burner. IMO this is better than setting the mold directly on the coil for several reasons. One it wont let the mold get hot spots from direct contact and two it puts a barrier between the mold and coils which with the correct heat setting helps prevent warping by too much heat.

Frozone
01-18-2013, 12:38 PM
My MP molds like to run about 285º.
If I sit it directly on the hot plate and cover it with aluminum foil, I have to run the hot plate at around 440º to get the desired mold temp.
This (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aroma-Single-Burner-Portable-Electric-Range-Hot-Plate-AHP-303/5871070) is the closest match I can find to what I use, mine is a few years old and was about half this price :-(
I set the dial at ~ 2/3.

foxtrapper
01-18-2013, 01:24 PM
Thanks to all! The sun is out so I made it a casting day. It's about 28 F with a bit of a breeze. The hot plate I have has a covered coil so I set the closed mold med- high and plugged in the Lee 10lb pot. The first cast was good and dropped right out of the mold. I prepped the mold using alcohol and q- tips then smoking the mold with paper matches. The mold was set up with one hollow point pin and one solid. As I read here by other posters there is daylight when you look at the closed mold. I thought I would get some flashing but it worked itself out after a few bullets. Very nice mold (512 440gr Miha brass) http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy345/smackythefrog/963b07695a64b2feacd92e9254b7391e.jpg

foxtrapper
01-18-2013, 01:26 PM
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy345/smackythefrog/becc6246aaf88d59f1848109b06bfca8.jpg

Willbird
01-18-2013, 01:50 PM
I have a chunk of aluminum I laid on mine, about 6" square and 1/2" thick, when I am done warming the mold I set ingots on it, then when it is time to refill the pot the ingots go in the pot, and the mold goes back on the hot plate, a saw blade would work great but I did not have a used up one handy.

dragon813gt
01-18-2013, 02:09 PM
There is no need to smoke his molds. They rain bullets when alloy and mold are at optimal temp :)

montana_charlie
01-18-2013, 02:57 PM
I see a claw hammer and a ball peen hammer on the casting bench.
Can't imagine why ...

foxtrapper
01-18-2013, 03:14 PM
Can't imagine why ... had to use something heavy to hold down the cardboard and aluminum containers. It's a bit windy :)

41 mag fan
01-19-2013, 09:24 AM
Can't imagine why ...

Lead hardness tester??!! :veryconfu

tward
01-19-2013, 03:07 PM
Love those MiHa hollow points! Tim