PDA

View Full Version : Checking slug fit for a 16 gauge

x101airborne
01-17-2013, 03:26 PM
Hey all. Quick question.
I have a full choke 16 gauge and I have the (probably idiotic) idea of shooting some single round ball loads in it. My round ball loads measure .612 and the end of my barrel measures .648. I put the round ball in a Remington wad with a thick felt wad under the ball and it pushes without resistance to all but the last 3 inches or so of the barrel. Then it gets fairly tight but a couple thumps with a cleaning rod and it pops out. Now I have heard it should not take more than 6 or 7 pounds of force to move the slug down the barrel and I think this was in the range of 20 pounds or so of force. What do you guys think, too tight a choke for it? Or does it really take a lot to bulge a barrel?

nekshot
01-17-2013, 06:15 PM
I shoot slugs thru my savage 24 full choke with no problems but that barrel is thicker than alot of other shotgun barrels.My gut feeling is if you can push it thru by hand it will work, but I have a number of things in my life did not go as I thought they should.

SuperBlazingSabots
01-18-2013, 12:13 PM
Hello x101airborne, wads come in all different petal thickness, choose awad that will move through your choke part with 10 to 12 lbs and then load it with a powder charge 2 grains lower than you would otherwise do and try it and next raise the charge 1/2 gr at a time while watching for pressure sign's like extractoe marks or primer being flattened etc!
Try 16.5 gr of Universal in Fiocchi hull and Fiocchi 616 primer in a modern gun in good shape at your own risk, tho!

Your safety comes first so try them at your own risk.
Trust but verify!

Ajay
BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
Blazing Sabots, LLC
www.BlazingSabots.com
http://www.facebook.com/BlazingSabots?ref=hl
www.PreciousVideoMemories.com

x101airborne
01-18-2013, 01:22 PM
Thanks, VDO. Guess I could have just PM'd ya. I ordered some stuff from BPI and it should be in on Weds.
I hope to get to try em out on pigs next weekend.

I was also thinking of using a Dremel drum sander to alter petal thickness if it was just absolutely necessary. I wish I could find some unslit wads that I could slit spirally to impart a little spin on the ball.