PDA

View Full Version : Real funny hunt

44man
01-17-2013, 02:39 PM
I was on another site I am banned from and seen pictures of a Bison hunt. Lots of drama, etc. A camera man at the side to record the shot. .500 S&W with about 3 shots.
Looks like a tame herd at 20 yards with a bunch of people behind the shooter. He said 30 yards but I have doubts. They were stalked---GET REAL! The animals were just walked to. What a low blow to hunting. I bet the animals could have been petted.
Makes me sick and praise was heaped on the shooter.
Three guys standing in the open at about 20 yards is cow hunting in a pasture.
It was the most disgusting pictures I ever seen.

x101airborne
01-17-2013, 03:11 PM
No different than any other high fence "canned" hunt I have seen. Another reason I don't watch hunting shows much anymore.

Silvercreek Farmer
01-17-2013, 03:13 PM
They should call it what it is, culling.

44man
01-17-2013, 03:52 PM
I have very hard feelings about killing animals. So many shows where an animal is shot well before dark but they sit and wait until dark. Then they can't find it and go back the next day and it is many hours to the animal. How proud they are holding the antlers! The meat is ruined. Sick trophy hunters! I have come to hate antler hunters as the worst there are. To take a life is to eat, not brag.
I kill many deer and a button buck or young doe is the very best.
To walk right to a Bison is not possible unless tame farm animals. Sorry, they are wild unless raised so you can walk to them. The farmer had to point out the animal to be shot. I can not praise the hunter, he could have walked up, petted the thing and stabbed it with a knife.
I question his shooting at such close range too. .500 S&W and three shots if I remember.

runfiverun
01-17-2013, 04:50 PM
they set their price and you pick the category.
i once seen a guy told he couldn't shoot some [graded stag] because it wasn't the class he paid for.
he could pony up the extra cash and "upgrade" his permit or some such.
what??
you pay's your money and takes your chances it's hunting.
paying for a cull is fine if you want the meat and such but to film it and make a scene about walking in and shooting something.
maybe i should start selling permits or sumthin next time i need a cow killed heck i'll even let them gut and skin the thing if it makes them feel better.

Bad Water Bill
01-17-2013, 05:43 PM
E BAY had an auction a while back for a BISON HUNT. I think the winning bid was $4,000 to SHOOT a selected animal somewhere in Michigan. You shoot the gun, you are done, go home as the farmer keeps the hide,head and meat. OH yes please take all of the pictures of your SUCCESSFUL HUNT and share them.

cbrick
01-17-2013, 05:47 PM
they set their price and you pick the category.
i once seen a guy told he couldn't shoot some [graded stag] because it wasn't the class he paid for.
he could pony up the extra cash and "upgrade" his permit or some such.
what?? you pay's your money and takes your chances it's hunting.
paying for a cull is fine if you want the meat and such but to film it and make a scene about walking in and shooting something.
maybe i should start selling permits or sumthin next time i need a cow killed heck i'll even let them gut and skin the thing if it makes them feel better.

Them trophy hunts don't work that way. Ya pay for what critter ya want, walk up to it and shoot. Then they come out with with a trailer & pick it up & haul it to the chill house where they skin it for you. But your busy too, lot's of photos to take, beer & all that.

Dang R5R, I thought you knew how to hunt? :mrgreen:

Rick

waksupi
01-17-2013, 06:41 PM
Depends where you are. I have a friend with a 37,000 acre ranch, that has buffalo hunts. They are wild as white tail, and getting within a hundred yards can be a challenge. They are free range on the ranch.

rockrat
01-17-2013, 07:05 PM
Waksupi, would appreciate a PM for info on the Bison hunts. Don't care AT ALL for the "canned hunts"

blackthorn
01-17-2013, 07:23 PM
Well I have to say i have only seen one bison in the wild. About ten or twelve years ago my oldest son and I were offered the use of a friend's hunting camp on Marion lake, behind Pink Mountain in northern BC. My friend owned an aircraft (4 seater) and his partner flew us in, checked on us once (mid week) and flew us out at weeks end, and all it cost us was the fuel for the plane. The day we landed on the lake we were not able to hunt (rules) so we got settled in and took the rubber boat out fishing (Grayling). While we were out on the lake we spotted this lone huge bull Bison at the far end of the lake. We motored on over there, got out of the boat and were able to walk to within 60 yards of him before he decided he wanted to be elsewere! So it is possible to get close to a wild one (some times). Of course we did not have a Bison tag, even if we had of been legal to shoot, but it was a sight I will never forget! Later in the week we got a nice imature bull Moose (good eating)!

41 mag fan
01-17-2013, 07:25 PM
theres a place in N IN wher you can hunt bison...a 200 acre farm! Guy I was talking to was telling me about a few yrs ago. Proud as ever he killed a bison on it......I just looked at him, words were not within my grasp at the time

runfiverun
01-17-2013, 08:10 PM
i musta missed school the day they taught money hunting 101.
i'm still trying to figure it out.
grab a rifle head to where you have seen deer throughout the summer and try to get one.
that's hard enough.
sitting in a stand watching deer wander by while you look at the picture you downloaded from your computer at work trying to compare antlers wouldn't cut it round here.
well it would i guess maybe but you'd be sitting there a long damn time waiting.
unfortunatly our "any weapon" deer season is only 2 weeks long, you'd best cover some ground.

TCLouis
01-17-2013, 11:48 PM
There was a guy several years that was defamed in the 70s offering "trophy hunts" on his 80 acres.

A coworker did a ranch bison hunt. Some 10,000 acres and as he put it 4 hours in knee deep snow 20 degree temps and 25 mph winds and he finally "snuck up" on one.

Deer farms are there for those that don't hunt, but want a trophy.

zac0419
01-18-2013, 12:20 AM
I have very hard feelings about killing animals. So many shows where an animal is shot well before dark but they sit and wait until dark. Then they can't find it and go back the next day and it is many hours to the animal. How proud they are holding the antlers! The meat is ruined. Sick trophy hunters! I have come to hate antler hunters as the worst there are. To take a life is to eat, not brag.
I kill many deer and a button buck or young doe is the very best.
To walk right to a Bison is not possible unless tame farm animals. Sorry, they are wild unless raised so you can walk to them. The farmer had to point out the animal to be shot. I can not praise the hunter, he could have walked up, petted the thing and stabbed it with a knife.
I question his shooting at such close range too. .500 S&W and three shots if I remember.

First, I'd like to see you try to pet that bison, then stab it with a knife. Bison are mean, real mean. Who cares if it was a canned Bison hunt, most are. It sucks, but thats the way it is. Our careless predecessors saw to that. If it's the preserve I think it is, its pretty nasty terrain. I've hunted hogs up there (At the NWR not the preserve) and it's tough, if I got a shot on a hog from dry land under sunlight instead of knee deep in swamp tripping over cypress knees, I'd be praising the lord, not wondering what it looks like to someone banned from the website.

44, I value your load knowledge and experience in loading cast, but dang. Leave the kid be. No need to start a thread blasting and picking apart his hunt on a another forum you're still allowed to post on. If you don't have somethin nice to say,............

xs11jack
01-18-2013, 01:49 AM
44man maybe the farmer thought it would be too much if instead of pointing out the one to be culled, he went up to it and spray painted in international orange large X right where the "hunter" is supposed to shoot!! Oh well, truth be told, enough money will get you a trophy anything!
Jack

44man
01-18-2013, 10:47 AM
It was flat ground and the bison were just standing there with all those people standing in the open. But think of the camera man and his position with all of his equipment. He needs to get in position first.
I never hunted them but understand free range bison are not easy to walk up to, let alone 20 to 30 yards as claimed. The pictures tell the truth.
There is a farm in VA that raise bison and driving past, the farmer was in among them with feed, like cows.
I know deer and my yard always has them in it. I take my dogs out and they just look at the deer and we have been 15 yards from them while they fed. The deer don't even pay attention to me or my dogs and have even walked to my one dog. The wife and I talk to the deer. I no longer hunt my woods and go down the road into the woods, I can't shoot tame deer.
It is true I can fool deer and even had them come to me in the wild.
I don't buy it that you can't tame bison but if you injure it it can kill you. That is why one guy was aiming a rifle at the bison to be shot with the revolver. A stalk was mentioned but they just walked up in the open. Evaluate this.

runfiverun
01-18-2013, 01:50 PM
that's about the comfort level of walking up on Bulls in the pasture/mountains.
after that they get a little wide eyed and take a couple of steps away.
if you soothe them you can get even closer.
now if you throw a couple of onions and some alfalfa out you can get them to come to the fence.

starmac
01-18-2013, 02:09 PM
LOL Most bison hunts are canned ranch hunts, most not all. That said there is a pretty large herd that stays on the alaska highway right of way most of the year. These are in northern BC sometimes very close to the yukon border. These are always in plain view, and are actually wild buffs. I don't know how close you could walk up to them or how close you would want to, but you can park the truck within 20 yards and take pictures easy enough. And yes they are hunted during season. We have a bison hunt for wild bison here, but I know people that have put in for a tag every year for years and never drew a permit.

smokeywolf
01-18-2013, 02:25 PM
My first thought when I looked at that photo was, did someone Photoshop out the lead-rope and ground stake?

I've always seen hunting as a pursuit or stalking. Or, in some cases, as in bow hunting from a tree stand, an ambush. That is a photo of a prearranged meeting.

smokeywolf

runfiverun
01-18-2013, 04:30 PM
i like the girl like lean back of the revolver guy.
he's been practicing.

KYCaster
01-19-2013, 12:15 AM
Anybody have the true story on this one?...........

http://blog.kingsoutdoorworld.com/2009/01/05/new-world-record-elk-the-spider-bull/

starmac
01-19-2013, 01:57 AM
i like the girl like lean back of the revolver guy.
he's been practicing.

LOL, I was thinking the same thing.