PDA

View Full Version : Using Lee hardness tester on an alloy sample slug.

prs
01-17-2013, 11:57 AM
I don't like the idea of filing a boolit's rounded surface flat to get a good flat roomy area. Core hardness may not be the same as surface hardness, right? Would it be valid and reliable to cast a flat lead slug about the same thickness as the diameter of the boolist to be cast with same technique as the boolits to be cast? Let us say about the area size of a 50 cent piece or silver dollar so as to have plenty of flat room and such upon which to rest and slide the scope.

prs

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-17-2013, 12:49 PM
from what I've read as long as you dont test on the ingot side you should be alright

Chill Wills
01-17-2013, 01:49 PM
PRS, I think you are splitting hairs but I do something like you do.

I have a flat nosed bullet mould, a 45 cal. handy on the casting bench for casting samples. I do this only because it keeps me from having to file (lazy). So for those times when I want to sample a pot full and/or maybe then recheck a sample in two weeks or a month, I have two or three cast samples of that batch ready to go.

I do not think you will get enough variance from one bullet design to another to effect anything, even if you tried to. There is a window of hardness a good load operates in and the casting variation might not even show up with in the working tolerance of your BHN tester/operator.

I do not test samples for every pot or batch. I often do test when I make up 90 lbs at a time and feel the need to check to be sure I made what I think I made.

I hope this helps,

357maximum
01-17-2013, 02:12 PM
SIMPLE AND ELEGANT SOLUTIONS:

An old badgery feller I know is a bit craftier than I......he simply uses a standard eatin spoon to make his test ingot. It works great for multiple tests over time and it even gives you room to keep short notes right on the test ingot with a sharpie...............that is the way I have been doing it for quite awhile now..........don't tell him, but, .....I really wish I had though of it.