PDA

View Full Version : Success!!!

Love Life
01-17-2013, 09:35 AM
After a couple tries I finally got it right. What you are looking at is strawberry wine. It is a bit stronger than I expected, but sho' am good!!

P.K.
01-17-2013, 09:41 AM
Sweet! ;-):drinks:

nhrifle
01-17-2013, 11:16 AM
Ok, I'm jealous. I've tried a couple times to make wine but I guess I don't have the gene or something, always winds up as the most vile concoction ever. What's your fermenting setup like?

Congrats BTW, looks awesome!

HighHook
01-17-2013, 11:22 AM
Love those Jars. The memories of my father and i filling'em with jam and Tuna... Well i still fill'em with Tuna. Sure looks Tasty. You are luv'in Life... :drinks:

Love Life
01-17-2013, 11:38 AM
Ok, I'm jealous. I've tried a couple times to make wine but I guess I don't have the gene or something, always winds up as the most vile concoction ever. What's your fermenting setup like?

Congrats BTW, looks awesome!

Couple of 1 gallon glass jugs in a cool dark spot (Closet) to allow for fermentation and goodness. I triple filtered it to get all the fruit nasties out. With my first two batches I cheaped out and used regular bread yeast. Bad Idea.

I got all my stuff from an online wine place. The raspberry came out good as well. The apple pie was an epic fail. My buddy has an apple pie recipe I have been trying to mimick, but no dice so far...

The hardest decision was bottling. I went with the mason jar to keep with my roots.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/winemaking-equipment.html?cat=192

At some point the Mrs. is going to get fed up with all my hobbies and experimenting...

nhrifle
01-17-2013, 11:49 AM
That's where I get my supplies too. Great company and super nice people to talk to for advice.

A friend has made wine for years and it sounds like your procedure is similar to hers. I tried it and something went horribly awry. For the time being I will stick to brewing my ales, those always come out as wonderful goodness.

Love Life
01-17-2013, 11:57 AM
I have tried brewing beer and ales, but have never had any luck. I gave up on it.

The wine was surprisingly easy once I did more research and figured it out. Of course the correct ingredients helped as well. For my first batch I used fruit concentrate. For this batch I used real fruit. I expected the strawberry to be darker, but oh well. Tastes better than boone farms and has a kick!!

stanglx2002
01-17-2013, 12:39 PM
I have been wanting to get into making wine, so curious if you didnt mind sharing the recipe and steps you took?

rush1886
01-17-2013, 05:03 PM
Congrats on the wine! Looks, sounds, delicious! I've done some homebrew (never could get the hops figured out), but never tried wine. Good Job!

Now this isn't wine, but if'n you want to drink your apple pie, try this:

1 gal jug of apple CIDER
1 fifth Yukon Jack liquer
1 pint good vodka
2-3 whole cinnamon sticks
whole cloves-to taste-I like around 12-14

pour approx 1/2 of the cider into a picher
into the 1/2 full cider jug, place the cinnamon and cloves, the whole fifth YukonJack, and pint of vodka, then top off the jug with the remaining cider.

Allow at least 4-5 days in a cool spot, for the flavors to blend. After that, the cinnamon will continue to get a bit stronger, but cloves are expended.

I usually just leave the spices in, and serve from, the jug, over ice. Or neat.

WARNING! This stuff tastes so much like apple pie, overindulgence is easily achieved!

Cheers!

Love Life
01-17-2013, 05:25 PM
Now that sounds good. I had a good apple wine, and then I added cinammon sticks and let it sit for a bit. That was fine, but then I went to add some vanilla and totally over did it.

Ny friend claims it is a secret family recipe and will not divulge. Oh well he makes several gallons at a time and keep sme supplied, but I WILL figure it out.

My wife like muscodyne wine, but I need to get some of those before I can make it...

Bo1
01-17-2013, 05:48 PM
I had some execellent homemade apple pie shine a few months back at my first cousins wedding. Brought all the way from Kentucky.
I am thinking about making my own "clear beverage" my grandfather used to do it and wine.
Too bad my grandmother destroyed his still after he passed...

Smijen48
01-19-2013, 09:32 AM
My Husband Catsmith and I have been playin around with makin wine for about three years now Muscadine,blackberry,strawberry they can't really be called wine more like a really fine hooch, I have really enjoyed the thread and the recipes.

Jim
01-19-2013, 10:07 AM
My Husband Catsmith and I have been playin around with makin wine for about three years now. Muscadine,blackberry,strawberry they can't really be called wine more like a really fine hooch, I have really enjoyed the thread and the recipes.

Oh, gosh, blackberry wine? Yeah, buddy! That's what I'M talkin' about!

Love Life
01-19-2013, 01:22 PM
My Husband Catsmith and I have been playin around with makin wine for about three years now Muscadine,blackberry,strawberry they can't really be called wine more like a really fine hooch, I have really enjoyed the thread and the recipes.

Ain't that the truth. I was about tapped out after 3/4 of a mason jar of this fine strawberry concoction. I did not expect that!!

Moonie
01-20-2013, 02:37 PM
I make wine, mead and beer. The apple pie tasting mead I make starts with a gallon of apple juice/cider, then enough honey to get an alcohol content I want, add a couple of cinnamon sticks and D-47 yeast. After fermentation is done (a couple of months) you rack it off the lee's (dead yeast) into another container and let it sit for about a year to a year and a half. Then stabilize and backsweeten to the sweet level you want and bottle. If you don't stabilize first (kill off the yeast) it can create bottle bombs...

Smijen48
01-20-2013, 07:31 PM
Thank you Moonie, I haven't tried the Apple pie but, I think I am going to give it a try.

Iowa Fox
01-20-2013, 07:53 PM
Wild grape makes the best wine I have ever tasted

Smijen48
01-20-2013, 11:29 PM
We made Blueberry wine from a friends great grandfathers recipe. Old school but boy was it good.
gallon jug, quart of Blueberries,cup of sugar, yeast but only if they are not fresh picked,fill jug with water non lubricated condom on spout every two weeks add about 1/2 cup sugar 8 to ten weeks total. Wonderful!!