PDA

View Full Version : Short SAECO Gas Check Shank

fourarmed
07-27-2005, 02:29 PM
I just sized and lubed some boolits from my new SAECO 270 mould. The shank is quite short. When I seated the checks on the bullets, there was a mushy feel at the bottom of the stroke, and many of the checks show a concave bottom. Also, there is no noticeable lube groove at the leading edge of the GC. Is this normal with SAECO GC moulds? The only other one I have is an older 4-cav. plainbase mould.

Slowpoke
07-27-2005, 06:14 PM
I just sized and lubed some boolits from my new SAECO 270 mould. The shank is quite short. When I seated the checks on the bullets, there was a mushy feel at the bottom of the stroke, and many of the checks show a concave bottom. Also, there is no noticeable lube groove at the leading edge of the GC. Is this normal with SAECO GC moulds? The only other one I have is an older 4-cav. plainbase mould.

Not sure if it is normal or not with Saeco moulds but I shoot the 305 and the 316 and they both have a short shank as well.

What works best for me is to anneal the checks, seat with a lubesizer with the check seater installed, Make sure the ejector pin is flat for seating checks , put a trace amount of case lube, lanolin, etc. on the base and sides of the check and seat the check firmly, I end up with a secure check with a reasonably flat base,( as flat as you are going to get with a lubesizer) and a hairline between the top of the check and the bottom of the lower band, makes it easy to see if they are seated square or not.

The good news is they shoot excellent, and in my mind puts a serious question mark on the validity of the importance of the longer gas check shank.

After shooting these for a couple of years, I think ole Aladin was correct .

Good luck

fourarmed
07-28-2005, 11:07 AM
Hate to admit it, but I have never used my gas check seating attachment. Can you tell me what it does that is different from just snapping them on and running them to the bottom? I think they are going on squarely, but there appears to be a gap between the check and the base of the bullet. What would happen if you put a little bit of lube inside the check?

cricco
07-28-2010, 03:07 PM
Hate to admit it, but I have never used my gas check seating attachment. Can you tell me what it does that is different from just snapping them on and running them to the bottom? I think they are going on squarely, but there appears to be a gap between the check and the base of the bullet. What would happen if you put a little bit of lube inside the check?

Great question! i was wondering that myself.

cricco
07-28-2010, 03:10 PM
I think I just discovered the answer. I believe the swing out gas check seater is for seating boolits that you intend to shoot "as cast". This eliminates the need to size them.

Calamity Jake
07-30-2010, 09:23 AM

If the check gets crimped on before it bottoms out against the boolit base it will shave lead from the shank area when it does get bottomed out at the end of the sizing stroke.
I always seat GC's before sizing, eather with Lyman GC seater in my LAMII or use the GC seater in my Saeco sizer. All my H&I and Saeco Sizer dies have flat ends on the ejector pin(the I part).

As far as the short GC shank on Saeco molds I have there molds in 6MM up to 8MM including the 6.5, 270 and 30.
There all short, that's just the way Saeco makes them.

I also have some Hornday GC's that are concave shaped in the box so the flat I punch flattens that out.

Calamity Jake
07-30-2010, 09:27 AM
I think I just discovered the answer. I believe the swing out gas check seater is for seating boolits that you intend to shoot "as cast". This eliminates the need to size them.

The GC will get seated but will not get a good crimp until sized a little.