PDA

View Full Version : Montana Armory/C Sharps long range sight

webradbury
01-16-2013, 09:19 PM
Ok...I warned ya'll I was going to bug the fool out of this forum.

Is there suppose to be lateral "play" or side to side wiggle with these tang sights? Its not much but it does move and stay to one side or the other. Its very minor but with a precision instrument I assumed it should be tight. Just asking cause I don't know. Its been 20 years since I handled one and it wasn't an expensive one like this. It wouldn't bother me so much if UPS had not dropped the rifle and I could tell myself its made that way.

montana_charlie
01-16-2013, 09:34 PM
Side play is something you don't want. But, without knowing more about the sight itself it's hard to know if you have a real problem, or not.

Do you have a model number or picture, along with a description of exactly where the wiggle is?

CM

webradbury
01-17-2013, 08:48 PM
Well, I looked at it a little closer today and played with it some. Seems I was misjudging the movement. It doesn't seem too bad now. Guess I'm just paranoid.

bigted
01-21-2013, 02:50 AM
im with Charlie...what make and style is it? the browning sight for instance will have a bit of for n aft wobble when the spring undter the staff is weakened...so the model and style are important for any kinda answer.

webradbury
01-21-2013, 09:30 AM
Couldn't find any identifiers except for the C Sharps and arms co. name. Heres it is:5916059161

Dan Cash
01-21-2013, 09:53 AM
Lateral play is not acceptable for long range shooting. Yes, you have a problem.

montana_charlie
01-21-2013, 01:35 PM
Couldn't find any identifiers except for the C Sharps and arms co. name. Heres it is.
Can't tell much from that distance other than that it is a very tall sight, and that it is a Soule sight.

Is the sideplay in the windage drum ... or at the pivot screw?

CM

webradbury
01-21-2013, 05:05 PM
Its at the pivot pin...its just a tiny bit of movement...I'm not going to worry with it till I can shoot it.

And yes...it is so tall it should have a red flashing light! I'd be happy with a midrange personally.

chuckcook
02-05-2017, 07:20 AM
Webradbury, Were you able to figure out the markings on the Montana Armory/C.Sharps sight. My 1874 Hartford Sharps arrived last week and it has the same sights. I'm not sure about the markings on the left side.