PDA

View Full Version : Lee Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure. ? On Powder Choices.

JesterGrin_1
01-16-2013, 09:08 PM
I would like to use the Lee Pro Auto-Disk for some .38Sp/.357 Magnum. But what powders will work well in it? I know H-110/W-296 does not lol.

Dark Helmet
01-16-2013, 10:50 PM
Is it leaking? It shouldn't be bad at all with a Pro Auto Disc. With an Auto Disc with the Pro Update Kit, you may need to tune it up a bit.

JesterGrin_1
01-16-2013, 11:47 PM
It is a Pro Auto Disc. And yep it leaks. And I do not get consistent charge weights.

Dark Helmet
01-17-2013, 07:39 PM
If it is spilling a case full of powder or so for every 50 or100 you load I'd double check that I had the hopper on correctly, if so i'd return it to LEE.

JesterGrin_1
01-17-2013, 07:57 PM
It leaks a little but my main problem is inconsistency of powder charges with H-110/W-296. That is why I was asking about powder choice.

Would Unique meter better?

troyboy
01-17-2013, 09:29 PM
Mine works very well with ball type powders. First remove the cast steps on the bottom of the hopper assembly. This will allow a much tighter fit between the teflon gasket and the autodisks. Second wash everything with dawn and airdry. When dry wipe everything with a dryer sheet. If you feel the need use a pencil and coat the cavities of the autodisks you are using. Third install and double check the hopper assembly orientation. Fill with powder and load 5 cases. Weigh to verify. Do 5 more the same. You should be ready to load.

dragon813gt
01-17-2013, 09:50 PM
You should not be having consistency problems with H110. It meters ball powders better than all other types. Now leakage is another problem. Mine leaks like a sieve w/ H110. Went through all the checks and it's built like it's supposed to be. I gave up with anything finer than w231/HP-38.

Moonie
01-20-2013, 04:34 PM
Both of mine are very accurate and consistent with H110/W296 and don't leak. But then I did update the one to the pro version, the other is the pro version. Also I sanded the base of the non-pro down so it doesn't leak. Read on doing that somewhere.

dickttx
01-20-2013, 07:03 PM
Most inconsistencies with the PAD are caused by the die not being adjusted correctly in the turret. Assuming that the lever is in the correct slot in the disk, the hole in the disk should be centered under the hole in the bottom of the hopper. And when the ram is at the top of the stroke the hole in the disk should be directly over the hole in the base. The latter is adjusted by screwing the die in or out of the turret. Amazingly enough this is also where the correct amount of flare is applied to the case mouth.
With the PAD the brass nuts should be tightened firmly but not overly tight. Too tight will squash the soft wiper that is the gasket between the base and the disk.

KYCaster
01-21-2013, 12:20 AM
I had problems with static cling when using Lee disc measures. Try wiping the discs with an anti static dryer sheet.

I made a bunch of brass bushings with various ID's to fit the largest hole in the disc. That helped a bunch, but still had some trouble with static.

Jerry