PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum casting pot

3jimbo3
01-16-2013, 07:52 PM
Hello everyone!

I was thinking of using my wife's old pressure cooker for a melting pot. It is made of heavy aluminum. I was wondering if this would be a good idea or not. I use a skillet now for casting ingots and when I do a run of wheel weights, then I use my lee furnace for my bullet molds. I just want a little deeper pot when I run my ingots. Has anyone used anything like this? If so how did it work for you? Thank you for your help.

Spawn-Inc
01-16-2013, 09:15 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?175226-Cast-Aluminum-Pot-Will-It-Work-for-Melting

but your pot would not likely be cast aluminum, but spun aluminum.

i still wouldn't chance it though, and i am pretty lax with safety.

DLCTEX
01-16-2013, 10:24 PM
Aluminum for smelting is a NO! The pot can let go at any time and that much molten lead will ruin your day/month/year/etc. when spilled. Cast iron or steel only.

trk
01-16-2013, 11:43 PM
The temperature where aluminum starts to loose it's strength CAN be achieved when smelting WW (etc). If you do try it, plan for the whole load to drop out the bottom safely.

I've gotten away with it (decades ago). Wouldn't try it now. Suggest stainless steel pots from Goodwill or yard sales - much stronger and healthier.

bfuller14
01-16-2013, 11:52 PM
Very good advice above. You may get by for a while
but it will more than likely drop out the bottom or sides.
Cast iron or stainless as suggested.

MGySgt
01-17-2013, 06:02 PM
Long time ago I used one of those cast aluminum pots to smelt down WW. Worked for awhile - but it developed pin holes in the sides down near the bottom.

I was lucky - the first pin hole that showed up was on the other side of the pot!

3jimbo3
01-17-2013, 07:29 PM
Thanks guys for all the wisdom. I'm going with a metal pot. I would rather be safe about it.

DennisMcharold
01-21-2013, 04:03 PM
Cast Iron or Steel.
Plenty of SS steel pots in garage sales.

Swede44mag
01-24-2013, 10:35 AM
I use an aluminum paint pot for years to melt down wheel weights the last time I used it the bottom gave way slumped and lead ran out all over my driveway.
I would not recomend melting in an aluminum pot.

1Shirt
01-24-2013, 11:25 AM
All good advice!
1Shirt!