PDA

View Full Version : Question on lead boolits for rifle

milsurpaddict
01-16-2013, 05:01 PM
I know this is a novice question but is lubing a rifle boolit necessary with a Gas Check

Thanks

littlejack
01-16-2013, 06:12 PM
Welcome to the CastBoolits.
Yes sir it is. You need the lubrication to prevent leading of the barrel. The gc will prevent some leading, but is also there to protect the base of the boolits.
Jack

DeanWinchester
01-16-2013, 06:12 PM
100% absolutely yes.

GabbyM
01-16-2013, 10:08 PM
Minimum lube requirements would be the Lee tumble lube setup. With a Lee size die that fits into your reloading press. A tube of there Alox lube comes with a size die. Very low cost setup good for average cast boolit velocity.

milsurpaddict
01-16-2013, 10:55 PM
So how do you get the d**n rifle boolts to stand up in the pan to lube the grooves.

Jack Stanley
01-16-2013, 11:02 PM
Liquid Alox doesn't require you stand them up , just a handfull of bullets in a plastic container big enough to let them roll around a bit . Dribble some Alox onto them and aggitate the whole mess a little untill the bullets are evenly covered ..... and it doesn't have to be thick .

Now if you are gonna pan lube with a home made mix , that's a different kettle o' fish .

Jack

Mk42gunner
01-16-2013, 11:31 PM
Ben did a couple of threads on pan lubing they are stickied up in the casting equipment section.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?34058-quot-Lube-Size-on-a-Budget-quot

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?119056-So-you-can-t-afford-one

Good Luck,

Robert

koehn,jim
01-18-2013, 05:29 PM
Lube is very necessary, I put the boolits nose down in a styrofoam holder, put the pan over them and turn the whole thing right side up. Than put a little lube in let it cool lift off the holder and add the rest of the lube. I do a 100 at a time use a cutter to take them out, put more boolits in the old holes and re fill with lube.

ukrifleman
01-19-2013, 10:21 AM
Lee Liqiud Alox is a very effective lube for cast bullets. As previously stated, just put some into a round bottomed container, add some LLA (if the LLA is too thick to pour, stand the container in some warm water for a few minutes) and roll them around until the whole bullet is covered, then tip them out onto some grease-proof paper (I stand my bullets up) and let them dry.
If you plan to use a Lee bullet sizing die to size and fix the gas checks, it is a good plan to lube your bullets BEFORE you size them; this prevents the die from leading up.
Once you have sized and gas checked the bullets, lube them again to re-coat the areas of the bullet that have had the LLA removed by the die.
If you plan to use the bullets as cast, I have found a good way to fix gas checks is with Lok-Tite.
I always lube bullets with LLA twice and don't get leading problems, this is with m/v`s of up to 2000 fps.
ukrifleman.

MT Chambers
01-19-2013, 09:17 PM
Your best bet is to get a proper luber/sizer that lubes and sizes in one step and doesn't make a mess, leave the cookie sheets to the wife, or whoever does the baking. you are right however, it's a pain in the a%% to stand those long thin bullets in a pan, and tumble lubing leaves them looking like they came from a body orifice.

JIMinPHX
01-20-2013, 01:46 AM
Some kind of lube is always needed on a lead boolit, especially at the higher velocities that you get in a rifle.

When I use LLA on rifle boolits, I often just dip the bottom half of the boolit in the liquid lube, then set the boolit on tin foil to dry. When I'm done. I then wash off the tin foil with a little mineral spirits to recover the excess LLA that was stuck to the foil. I'm kind of a tight wad that way. I like to use every last drop & not waste anything.

mongoosesnipe
01-28-2013, 03:42 PM
i hand lube my rifle bullets with carnuba red and trim the excess with a razor prior to sizing it make for a good busy hand activity while watching tv it goes faster than you would think

Frozone
01-28-2013, 05:36 PM
I have used spray on case lube (water soluble) to prelube the boolits prior to sizing in the LEE die.
A quick rinse and dry afterwards, gives good results.