PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Magma Star Lube-sizer, need on info.

glowe
01-16-2013, 01:19 PM
I have had enough of pan lubing. So, I'm going to get a Magma Star Lube-sizer.
It's on order now and should get it in a month.

Is the heated base any good or should I just make one?
Anyone have the Air Feed option? Is it any good?

Any recommendations for dies.

Thanks Guys

glowe
01-16-2013, 01:33 PM
Sorry, wrong section.

glowe
01-17-2013, 01:12 AM
No one as any input?

blikseme300
01-17-2013, 05:28 AM
I have had enough of pan lubing. So, I'm going to get a Magma Star Lube-sizer.
It's on order now and should get it in a month.

Is the heated base any good or should I just make one?
Anyone have the Air Feed option? Is it any good?

Any recommendations for dies.

Thanks Guys

Made my own heater base and have the air feed. Of the 2 the heated base is required but the air feed not. YMMV

toddrod
01-17-2013, 06:08 AM
I have the Lyman heater (cheaper) connected to a thermostat I use for brewing beer. I also have the air feed. I love this setup.

6bg6ga
01-17-2013, 08:10 AM
glowe,

There is a whole section on the Star/Magma sizer complete with the air cylinder and heated base with PID. I suggest that you go thru the star section sit down read it and take any notes you may need.

glowe
01-17-2013, 04:27 PM
Thanks, I look for it now.

Thank

runfiverun
01-17-2013, 10:47 PM
subsection of here.

wv109323
01-17-2013, 11:08 PM
With Some Lubes the heated base is a necessity. I have the Lyman. It is cheaper but has no way to control the temperature. You can plug and unplug it as needed.
I don't have the air feed option. I have found it unnecessary. You can easily lube 500 bullets per hour with out it. You need to wear a glove or you could wear a blister on your hand.
Lathesmith on this forum can make the dies for less than you can buy from Magma. You may also need a couple of top punches depending on how many sizing dies you use. Most now use a flat bottom top punch and size nose first.

wymanwinn
01-18-2013, 05:25 PM
heated base, air feed, bullet feed and air assist....and soon to be automated...:drinks:...thanks Hatch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQrZflUtiPY

wyman

engineer401
01-18-2013, 11:46 PM
I have a Lyman heater and a dimmer switch to control the heat. A heater is necessary. The air feed may not be necessary but makes it a lot easier.

D Crockett
01-19-2013, 12:25 PM
I have a air feed for the star that I would sale it works fine I just did not like all the noise the compressor made when in use give me a pm if intersted D Crockett

VHoward
01-19-2013, 12:30 PM
I use an air tank with my air feed unit. Haven't had to refill the tank in over a year of use. A lot of use.

engineer401
01-19-2013, 03:01 PM
I use an air tank with my air feed unit. Haven't had to refill the tank in over a year of use. A lot of use.

I also use an air tank from Sears. Nice and quiet.

rodsvet
01-19-2013, 03:15 PM
Buy it all at once and be done with it if you have the $'s. Sizer, air cylinder, heated base, and bullet feeder. Go through the learning curve and never look back! And yes, get a Harbor freight air tank for about $30 and once it is filled it will last months. You can even top it off with a small 12 volt compressor if you want. Rod

Inkman
01-19-2013, 06:33 PM
Buy it all at once and be done with it if you have the $'s. Sizer, air cylinder, heated base, and bullet feeder. Go through the learning curve and never look back! And yes, get a Harbor freight air tank for about $30 and once it is filled it will last months. You can even top it off with a small 12 volt compressor if you want. Rod

That's exactly what i am doing. Will be in Az next week for a shoot and have everything already lined up with Magma to stop by and pick one up minus the collator. Shovel handle, boolit feeder, heater, air hook up and 2 sets of dies. Plus a little hands on instruction. Hope it goes as well as i think it will. Great people talking to them over the phone so far. Plus they are only about 10 minutes from where i'm staying.

Al

luky-dude
01-20-2013, 11:09 AM
E-mail sent on feeder

Super Sneaky Steve
01-25-2018, 09:18 PM
Question for those of you who don't use the air feed. How do you maintain pressure with just the turn knob? Do you guys send a dozen through then give it half a turn? Something like that? Or does the spring keep a constant pressure in the unit? I don't have mine yet. Still waiting while it's backordered but trying to learn how it works.

6bg6ga
01-26-2018, 07:21 AM
I don't know why they are calling it air feed. Its a simple air cylinder in place of the screw turn setup. You can purchase the cylinder for less thn $40.00 so I would't bother purchasing someones $100 kit. Download the print of the air cylinder and it will give you the list of parts. I did mine years ago and there is a seal you need to purcahse long with an aluminum cylinder total I think is less than $20.

The screw pressure setup is simple there is a spring and a seal between the spring and the lube. as you turn the crank pressure is exerted and the spring is compressed just a bit more resulting in more pressure against the lube.

There is no set amount of turns between bullets. This is going to depend on the number of lube grooves and the size of the grooves along with the type of lube used. There are threads that list the PN's I know because I have listed the parts in the past.

If you wish not to purchase a air cylinder one can put a $18.00 adapter on in place of the screw assembly and attach a regulator and air hose directly to this adapter. There is a thread that lists this adapter number along with stores that sell it. It is a common car carb part.

6bg6ga
01-26-2018, 07:23 AM

I used the Harbor freight air compressor. I made my own heater with PID, and sourced the air cylinder aluminum piston and seal all for around $150 or less.

6bg6ga
01-26-2018, 07:48 AM

This is the carb fuel inlet adapter taht can be purchased for I believe it was $18. The end with the o-ring (large end) screws directly into the assembly when the screw assembly is taken out. The spring assembly is put back into the lube tube followed by the cap with this adapter. The other end of the adapter receives a common air fitting that will attach to your small compressor from Harbor frieght that has a regulator on it.

The screw piece will simply unscrew and the adapter will go in its place. So, you could use this in place of the air cylinder if you wished to save money and it will work fine. I used mine for months before getting the PN for the cylinder that Magma used.

Read all of this thread

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?99330-Star-Lube-Sizer-Air-Feed-for-Lube-Completed-amp-Successful/page5