PDA

View Full Version : Blackhawk front site

GREENCOUNTYPETE
01-16-2013, 12:09 PM
I had done some searching i found several people with the same problem , but not a solution

the problem is my as factory Ruger super blackhawk 44mag 7.5 " barrel shoots 6-8 inches high at 25 yards with 240 gr loads factory 240's or my reloads with 240gr swc

it shoots exactly to the sight in it's lowest position with Fedral 180gr rounds

I just got off the phone with Ruger the factory sight for the 44 ,41 and 357 are all .348 the 45lc with 7.5 inch barrel however uses the same type of sight but .445 high they are sending me the the .445 sight

hopefully this gets things solved

Johnch
01-16-2013, 05:23 PM
I went the cheap way .....for me at least
I added to the top of the front sight with black bedding compound
Well I added way to much to start with

Then removed what wasn't needed

But buying a new front sight might be a lot quicker LOL

John

Irascible
01-16-2013, 05:49 PM
You could file the rear blade shorter. You could speed up the bullet!

Baja_Traveler
01-16-2013, 06:55 PM
Those of us with the Ruger Old Army revolvers have been having that same problem for years - and with the same solution. Impossible to take enough off the back sight, so raising the front is the only option. Luckily the ROA uses the same Blackhawk front sight...

youngda9
01-16-2013, 07:26 PM
I had the exact same problem with 270 grain bullets at 25yds. I sold the gun shortly after.

Wolfer
01-16-2013, 09:25 PM
I've filed a flat and soldered a piece of brass on a good many front sights. Seems like most of the pistols I've owned have/ had fixed sights so once I had the load I wanted I filed the front sight till the boolit landed at the top.

Silver Jack Hammer
01-16-2013, 10:11 PM
Yup, I've had to file a little off the top of all the rear sights of my Ruger single actions calibrated to anything that begins in a ".4" including two SBH's. No big deal really, they are aluminum. I also had to file a little off the top of the notch after taking a little off the top blade to make it look right for my eyes when taking a sight picture. Hole the file at just a little bit of an angle so that you don't get a glare on the top of where you file. Touch up with a little black and it's good to go.

nicholst55
01-16-2013, 10:34 PM
Ruger fairly frequently installs a too-short front sight on their revolvers, especially the longer barrel specimens. You can send it back and ask them too install their tallest front sight on it, order the sight and have it done locally, or improvise something to increase the height of the sight. Or you can sell the gun. Your choice.

stubshaft
01-16-2013, 10:48 PM
Those of us with the Ruger Old Army revolvers have been having that same problem for years - and with the same solution. Impossible to take enough off the back sight, so raising the front is the only option. Luckily the ROA uses the same Blackhawk front sight...

The SS Blackhawks have the removeable front sight, the blued models do not.

missionary5155
01-16-2013, 10:54 PM
Greetings
I am very fond of adding a piece of brass rod to the top of too short revolver front sights.
A dobber of JB Weld on the sight and push the rod down in the liquid.
Mike in ILL

pipehand
01-17-2013, 11:13 AM
I had a similar problem with a Blackhawk 45LC/45ACP convertible. The hole for the rear sight elevation adjustment wasn't threaded all the way through the frame, and the screw bottomed out before the rear sight did. The thread size and pitch is the same as the one used for scope mounts. I chased the threads all the way with a tap, and now the pistol will adjust to proper elevation with 285 grain boolits. Just something to check before you replace the front sight.

376Steyr
01-17-2013, 12:08 PM
I bought a taller .45 Colt front sight and a couple of pins for my SS .44 Special. When the sight arrived I found it wasn't pre-drilled, and I don't have a drill press set up, so it went into my "stuff to work on later" pile. Meanwhile I use 429215s to lower the point of impact a little.

tek4260
01-18-2013, 12:41 AM
.595" is the sight you want. I have replaced several on mine and on dad's Blackhawks. I have also added key stock by soldering, antler(for grins), pinned and built up with JB, lowered the rear sight blade by filing, and filed the boss under the rear sight to allow it to lower more.

When I found my first Blackhawk shot high, I called Ruger to get a return label. The lady on the phone told me that they would replace it with a taller sight if it didn't check out. But, they use a 6 o'clock hold on an 8" bull, which would be close to what I had with my sight. I decided to order some of the .595" sights from Brownells and replace mine. The other "fixes" were tried on other Rugers that came along after I used up all the sights I had ordered.

My latest preferred method is to pin and add a block to the sight so that it resembles a #5 sight.

tek4260
01-18-2013, 12:49 AM
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/tk3945/1357834187.jpg

Like this

GREENCOUNTYPETE
01-21-2013, 12:46 PM
well they are sending me the site for free, i wish i had a drill press it is on my list of things i need. i will probably have to drive to my dads and use his