PDA

View Full Version : Going tactical

pmer
01-16-2013, 11:27 AM

Slowly getting there with the 870 Express. Just picked up a 18'' cyl bore barrel and working on the dents in the mag tube in order to add rounds six and seven into the extension.

9 Pellet 00 buck shot at 1330 fps (advertised). 13 steps on right and 9 or 10 steps on the left. :Fire:

The pattern similarities must be a fluke?

Andrew Mason
01-16-2013, 11:59 AM
cant be tactical.

it has wood on it. ;-)

pmer
01-16-2013, 01:29 PM
I haven't been much on shot guns but dang that was fun. Too bad buck shot is sold in boxes of 5 shells ea.

Johnch
01-16-2013, 05:19 PM
Too bad buck shot is sold in boxes of 5 shells ea.

Winchester sells 15 round boxs of OO Buck
Also if you can find them Sellier & Bellot sells 25 rnd boxs of buckshot , I have their OO buck in 25 rnd boxs

John

John in WI
01-16-2013, 09:09 PM
That is a weird fluke--two Christmas tree shaped patterns in a row?

nitrohuck
01-16-2013, 09:11 PM
Don't make it too tacticool... Uncle Sam will declare it an assault weapon and try to whisk it away :p

GabbyM
01-16-2013, 11:05 PM
Yes keep the time proven forearm. Old School vs Tacticool.

Over Christmas vacation in AZ I just had to show my new son in law, a corrections officer, the downfalls of a vertical grip forearm he had on his 20 gage pistol grip pump gun. Was and is a very tacticool gun. So I admitted the vertical grip makes the short shotgun into a nice close quarters bludgeon. I proceeded to show him how to shoot trap targets from a hip fired position. Not a totally silly thing as this shotgun has no but-stock.

A VN Vet M60 gunner showed me this at the trap range one day back before his wife and my daughter was born. Just hold the forearm with your index finger pointing parallel with the bore and point at the target. What really surprised him was I hit four of five hand thrown clay targets. Not all that impressive to me who used to shoot trap twice a week. But the young-uns were astounded. I told him that if that silly vertical grip wasn’t in the way I’d of hit them all. Haw haw. My children got a bit frustrated when they set up a challenge shoot. Five clays on the 100 yard berm for best of five with a rifle from position. I grabbed up my Win 94 AE with irons using cast boolits. 150gr Saeco FN over 26gr RL7. Well I won by one target over there M4 with a scope. My daughter protested saying one of mine was a miss. Well the back blast from that near miss 150 grain boolit of BHN #9 alloy going over 2,000 fps kicked the clay off the berm and broke it. My reply was dead is dead. Of course I said that with a big smile. Then I proceeded to shoot some milk jugs at 80 yards with my S&W Model 10 in 38 Special. There was a couple plastic super tactical pistols around but no one wanted to take that one on. My daughters response was. She was thinking of buying a 9 but those 38’s are cool. Well a couple days later on Christmas day I gave here and her sister Model 15 S&W‘s. Old pinned barrel models in cherry condition. As I explained to them. When you live in the deserts of AZ you want a hand gun that is accurate past fifty feet. That’s tacticool.

DIRT Farmer
01-16-2013, 11:46 PM
From many years ago and a different life as a police officer, I have an 870 with the "rubber" forgrip and pistol grip which was called Elija by my coworkers. It helped a few to see the light on entrys.For pratice we shot clays from the hip, standard paper targets and just for fun a charcoal bricket placed on the barrel / magazine junction and fliped in the air then shot. I guess I was tacticool back then as I had a single point sling way back then.

pmer
01-17-2013, 10:36 AM
I like the wood on it because its easier to hold on to the slide. Tacticool would be nice but as far as I want to go is a light. I have the setup to install a Wiljen light with the pressure switch and that should help when the dogs corner a racoon in the barn. 7 1/2 low brass should be more than enough for that.

I've been having some trouble with the short grey follower binding around where the extension starts. I tried the black plastic spring retainer in backwards as a follower and it slides through that junction nicely.

Nix
01-17-2013, 09:25 PM
I'm up in Canada but we get 'cans' of 100 or 115 #00 buckshot up here sometimes in my shop, usually goes for around $75 depending. I'm sure you can get the same down south and probably a lot cheaper since everything we get is imported from the US anyways.