PDA

View Full Version : Simple White Bread

P.K.
01-16-2013, 07:22 AM
Dunno what makes it go faster than a goose on a golf course but I'll make a couple of loafs every 2-3 days and it's gone. Great for Sammiches and just plain toast for swabbin' those eggs up for breakfast.

1 pkg. yeast.
2 cups lukewarm water
1/4 cup of sugar
1/4 cup cooking oil (I use veggie)
1/2 Tbsp salt
4 1/2 to 5 cups of flour ( last cup is usually to dust the boardn and kneed into the bread.)

Dissolve yeast in water, add sugar, oil and salt. Stand for 5 min.
Stir in flour a cup at a time untill soft dough forms. ( Will be really sticky, just dump on the board and kneed for 10-15 min.)
When smooth and elastic, cover in a greesed bowl( cooking spray or crisco) and cover in a warm place for 2 hours.
Punch down and recover for 10 min.
Cut in 1/2 place in greesed loaf pans and cover for 1 hour.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 min.

I have fooled with this recipie a few ways and every time the bread was edible and flavorful. If you are looking for a more compact and less "fluffy" loaf cut the rise time in the pan by half.

Trail bread is pretty easily done on a cookie sheet, comes out any shape you want and darn near flat. ( in my case no higher than a couple of inches but still packable.)

:drinks:

SciFiJim
01-17-2013, 01:36 AM
Our house is kept in the low to mid 60s during the winter. I learned a trick for a warm place for bread to rise. Place it in the oven and turn on the oven light without turning on the oven. The warmth of the light in a small space should be enough for the bread to rise. When it comes time to cook, take the bread out before turning on the oven. Let the oven come up to temp before putting the loaves in to cook.

P.K.
01-19-2013, 11:49 AM
Our house is kept in the low to mid 60s during the winter. I learned a trick for a warm place for bread to rise. Place it in the oven and turn on the oven light without turning on the oven. The warmth of the light in a small space should be enough for the bread to rise. When it comes time to cook, take the bread out before turning on the oven. Let the oven come up to temp before putting the loaves in to cook.

Jim I tried that one yesterday. No joy with the anemic bulb in my oven. Dumped the dough and used the microwave again. It's a range hood soI just left the overhead light on under it and boiled a cup of water prior to letting the dough rise.

Doubled and then some....;-)

Smijen48
01-20-2013, 08:54 AM
Thank ya'll so much for the bread recipe and the tips gonna give it a try.

rockrat
01-24-2013, 12:25 PM
Tried it yesterday. Heated the oven a bit, but forgot to turn the light on. Didn't rise very well, but baked it anyhow. Kind of dense, but good flavor for plain old white flour. Course, instead of two cups of water, I used one cup of water and a cup of Guiness:drinks:.

Going to try some stone ground wheat flour next, to give it some more flavor.

P.K.
01-24-2013, 02:39 PM
Tried it yesterday. Heated the oven a bit, but forgot to turn the light on. Didn't rise very well, but baked it anyhow. Kind of dense, but good flavor for plain old white flour. Course, instead of two cups of water, I used one cup of water and a cup of Guiness:drinks:.

Going to try some stone ground wheat flour next, to give it some more flavor.

Lemme know how that one works out!

Beerd
01-24-2013, 04:03 PM
Good basic bread recipe.
I like to mix it up a little. Substitute part whole wheat or rye flour, use honey instead of sugar, beer in place of water, less sugar or salt, etc. Always turns out different, always better than store bought.

sqlbullet
02-20-2013, 04:56 PM
ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT

Took me a bit to get a chance to try this recipe. Very happy with it. I use honey instead of sugar, and measure my flour by weight, not volume. I found 26 oz to be ideal. Works equally well with wheat or white flour.

Area Man
02-20-2013, 11:57 PM
Jim I tried that one yesterday. No joy with the anemic bulb in my oven. Dumped the dough and used the microwave again. It's a range hood soI just left the overhead light on under it and boiled a cup of water prior to letting the dough rise.

Doubled and then some....;-)

If your oven has a keep warm mode, usually 140(ish) degrees try turning it on that setting. Once it gets up to temp turn it off and leave the door cracked for few minutes. Your then ready to proof your loaf

pipehand
02-25-2013, 07:45 PM
Printed off your recipe. Will be trying it soon, Thanks.

P.K.
03-01-2013, 06:42 AM
Printed off your recipe. Will be trying it soon, Thanks.

Enjoy, it's a good one and the results are repeatable. The better 1/2 has restricted me to a two loaf limit at any time. Which reminds me, I have to start another batch before breakfast. ;-)

P.K.
03-01-2013, 06:43 AM
If your oven has a keep warm mode, usually 140(ish) degrees try turning it on that setting. Once it gets up to temp turn it off and leave the door cracked for few minutes. Your then ready to proof your loaf

I tried this and it worked like a champ, thanks for the tip!

Cactus Farmer
03-04-2013, 09:24 AM
Easy and tasty, now to try all the variations.

farmerjim
03-04-2013, 09:41 AM
Just finished 2 slices when I saw this thread. I have made my own bread for 30 + years. There is always at least one 25 pound sack of hard wheat flower in the pantry.

L Ross
03-05-2013, 05:47 PM
First two loaves are in the oven as we type/read.

Duke

L Ross
03-05-2013, 06:40 PM
Took it out, let it rest 15 minutes and my wife and I just went to the kitchen to sample it. Turned out nice.
Thanks P.K. I've wanted to do that for years, you inspired me.

Duke

john hayslip
03-05-2013, 06:52 PM
Here's a quick, good bread recipe.

3 cups SELF RISING FLOUR-won't rise with regular flour. You can make your own self-rising flour easily if you don't have any as it is just salt, flour and baking powder.
1 12 oz can or bottle of beer - I do it with Shiner Boch and wife prefers it with regular beer
3 tbs sugar

Stir together all ingredients until well mixed. Pour into a battered 9x5x3 loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees about 1 hour or until loaf tests done.

Don't get much simpler than this.

TheGrimReaper
03-08-2013, 01:47 PM
Homemade bread is the BEST!!!

TXGunNut
03-09-2013, 09:37 PM
I make bread every chance I get, generally have to bring my home made dinner rolls when invited for holiday dinners. Probably wouldn't get past the door without them! I use the traditional Parker House recipe but I substitute 1 cup of whole wheat flour for a cup of white flour. For proofing I turn on the oven for a minute or two and turn it off again, light will keep it warm as the bread rises.

P.K.
03-12-2013, 12:00 PM
I make bread every chance I get, generally have to bring my home made dinner rolls when invited for holiday dinners. Probably wouldn't get past the door without them! I use the traditional Parker House recipe but I substitute 1 cup of whole wheat flour for a cup of white flour. For proofing I turn on the oven for a minute or two and turn it off again, light will keep it warm as the bread rises.

I just found a "Melt in your Mouth" recipe for those, I'll test and post if they come out as good as they sound. ;-)

Lance Boyle
03-12-2013, 04:01 PM
I made my dough last night, 2 cup whole wheat, 3.5 cup white all purpose, 1.75 cup water, 2 tsp yeast, 1/4 brown sugar, 1 tsp salt. Stuck it in the fridge last night, took it out at 8 am and let it warm up on the counter, cut in half and rolled two loaves, baked in grease loaf pans. Corned beef sammich for lunch.

I'd rather take 5-10 minutes at night to make my dough and stick it in the reefer and then bake it off in the morning. Lets it devolop a more yeasty flavor in the bread and doesn't take all day for babysitting it. The better breads that I like are $4.50 from the market now. I am doing more baking as I'm a touch frugal and picky to boot. I do no buy the cheap air breads.

steg
03-20-2013, 12:51 PM
Try using lard or bacon grease instead of vegetable oil, olive oil is great too. Keeping a moist heat in the oven for a fantastic crust. A wash of buttermilk makes a great looking crust, and works like a glue to keep any type of sprnkles on the crust. Bread is very forgiving, so don't be afraid to experiment!

Bodydoc447
03-20-2013, 07:13 PM
Lance,

Was that a 1/4 cup or teaspoon of brown sugar? I was thinking cup but thought I ought to check.

Thanks,
Doc

I made my dough last night, 2 cup whole wheat, 3.5 cup white all purpose, 1.75 cup water, 2 tsp yeast, 1/4 brown sugar, 1 tsp salt. Stuck it in the fridge last night, took it out at 8 am and let it warm up on the counter, cut in half and rolled two loaves, baked in grease loaf pans. Corned beef sammich for lunch.

I'd rather take 5-10 minutes at night to make my dough and stick it in the reefer and then bake it off in the morning. Lets it devolop a more yeasty flavor in the bread and doesn't take all day for babysitting it. The better breads that I like are $4.50 from the market now. I am doing more baking as I'm a touch frugal and picky to boot. I do no buy the cheap air breads.