PDA

View Full Version : Whooops!

kidmma
01-15-2013, 10:45 PM
Today I had one of those enlightening experiences in reloading. We were trying out a friend's Charter Arms Bulldog in 44Sp. While 2 of us were watching the proud owner testing out the 44, we heard a "pop" instead of a crack. All 3 of us(shooter included) watched the 240gr slug fly from the muzzel into the berm. It was easy to see against the snow.

I had loaded 4.7 gr Unique and 240 gr swc. It must have had some small amount of powder in it but not the full charge. I don't think the primer would have cleared the forcing cone (had that happen with a 357 way back in the begining).

[smilie=1:

I'll Make Mine
01-15-2013, 11:15 PM
You're right, primer only won't get past the forcing cone in any revolver I'm aware of. In fact, I once stuck a 90 gr. bullet in the forcing cone in a .357 with a grain or so of Bullseye under it.

I'd watch out for the case that got the other half of that charge; 7-8 grains of Unique probably wouldn't be unsafe in that Bulldog, but it'd be a lot less comfortable than the intended load.

btroj
01-15-2013, 11:43 PM
I agree about the other half of that charge. Sort of like finding half a worm in an apple.

I sure would want to know where it was before I found it the hard way.

kweidner
01-16-2013, 06:42 AM
I agree about the other half of that charge. Sort of like finding half a worm in an apple.

I sure would want to know where it was before I found it the hard way.

Now that's funny

shooting on a shoestring
01-16-2013, 10:06 PM
Had virtually the same thing in .357. I switched to Herco. I still haven't finished that pound of Unique....gives me the shivers.

WARD O
01-17-2013, 03:09 PM
Unique is a great powder for 1 1/8 oz load for a 12 gauge. Been shooting it for years as a good heavy trap load. Over the years I've certainly burned well over 25# of Unique without issue!

ward

cloakndagger
01-17-2013, 04:54 PM
I never had a problem with unique until I switched from my lee dippers to a auto powder feed on my turret press, and then, only one out of several thousand. learned real quick to give the feed a tap with my bench pencil before moving on to bullet seating.

Wayne Smith
01-18-2013, 08:36 PM
I keep my Unique to my Belding and Mull measure. It is the only one of my many measures that does not allow the powder to bind.

454PB
01-19-2013, 03:00 PM
I had a squib in my Ruger SRH .454 Casull. The powder failed to ignite, but the force of the primer pushed the boolit about halfway through the barrel.

pietro
01-19-2013, 05:06 PM
It's been many, many years, and several different loaders - but I STILL stop & visually check ALL my charged cases (before I start boolit seating), when they're all together in a loading block, so I can easily spot any under/over charge.

So far, so good....................... ;)

jdgabbard
01-20-2013, 12:59 AM
It's been many, many years, and several different loaders - but I STILL stop & visually check ALL my charged cases (before I start boolit seating), when they're all together in a loading block, so I can easily spot any under/over charge.

So far, so good....................... ;)

And this is my policy. This is why I refuse to move from a turret press to a progressive. There is too much going on, and I want to visually inspect every aspect of the loading process.

Porterhouse
01-20-2013, 09:08 AM
My experience is identical to 454PBs'. Loaded some 41mag with no powder accidentally. The 220gr boolit went about 2" into the barrel just with the force of standard primer.

454PB
01-20-2013, 05:01 PM
In my case, there was powder, it just failed to ignite. I found a big clump of it behind the boolit when I drove it from the barrel.

Lloyd Smale
01-21-2013, 07:04 AM
were you using tumble lube or did you possibly leave some lube on the base of the bullet? either can surely cause a squib by powder contamination

ROGER4314
01-23-2013, 12:05 PM
Bridging in the powder measure is common and as the guys correctly stated, the round following the light one will have a heavier charge.

I have two Dillons but I've always been uneasy about not seeing my charges in the case. On a single stage, I put a loading block of charged cases under a strong light and inspect each one. I can spot a mistake immediately!

On the Dillons, I tried two different powder sensing units like the "Powder Cop". They retain a few flakes of powder which eventually end up on the primer seater plug. A flake of powder will dent a primer so I wasn't too keen on that.

I tried attaching a mirror to the press to visually check each charge and I liked that method the best.

In .223, I changed from IMR 4895 to 748 ball powder because of bridging. 4895 is a powder that looks like tiny cylinders and it bridges in small necked cases.

That's my history on bridging of powder charges. I'm still looking for the best answer.

Flash

kidmma
01-24-2013, 09:25 AM
I had't checked back for a while. lots of responses. I only loaded about 15 rds. Didn't get an overcharge. I do remember spilling one when seating the bullet. I dumped it out, then went back to the powder measure and threw another charge. I don't know if I looked at in the case or not(should have). I was using an RCBS measure. It had been 5-10min since I charged the original cases. That one my have bridged. I do check the loading block under a light after charging too.

Lizard333
01-27-2013, 10:53 PM
For those that worry about checking powder on a Dillon, I used to have the same problem. I bought a set of LEDs from inline precision. A WORLD of difference. I can see in all of my pistol cases and most of the rifle cases.

Best money I've spent in a long time.