PDA

View Full Version : Press upgrade? What would you buy?

pmeisel
01-15-2013, 10:16 PM
I have an old Lyman T-Mag that I have neglected (too much moisture over winters in the garage in Ohio and the shed in Mississippi) -- it still works but it's ugly, and I am bored with it anyway after 25 years (gotta make sure my wife doesn't read this!)

I am debating between a Redding T7, a Forster Co-Ax, and a CH4D 444H press. I have never liked the idea of going progressive and don't load enough to really need it -- 200 or 300 rounds in a session is about as much as I do.

I load mostly 357, with some 444 Marlin, and expect to add 45 ACP soon.

I'm not in a big rush, but I have my AARP card now and I'd like for this next press to be the last one.

I'd like to hear from the folks who have one or more of these presses and really like them; and any of the little quirks that may annoy you about any of them.

Thanks.

btroj
01-15-2013, 10:37 PM
I have a T7. I really like it.

chsparkman
01-15-2013, 10:50 PM
+1 on the T-7. Solid as a rock and easy to change turrets.

When you start loading .45 ACP you might reconsider a progressive. After 20 years of reloading I finally got a Hornady LNL. I'm very happy with it and it is quite easy to use.

Jack Stanley
01-15-2013, 11:05 PM
I have a Co-Ax and love it but I'd be happy with about any of the Redding presses as long as they catch the spent primers .

Jack

Bonz
01-15-2013, 11:42 PM
I have a Lyman T-Mag II but I really want a Hornady Lock-n-Load AP Progressive. May not be able to wait until next Christmas...

r1kk1
01-16-2013, 10:39 AM
Two things I never understood - beginners tools and upgrades. I'm not trying to start anything, just don't understand it. I have some tools that lived a very short life on my bench, others have history.

Presses I want to add:

Redding T-7 and Ultramag
CO-AX
Maybe the new RCBS Summit

Mainly these presses and what I currently own are vastly different.

If progressive and I needed 5 true stations:
LNL
RCBS

Right now the single stage Champion and 550 do the work.

I like interesting presses.

r1kk1

Ickisrulz
01-16-2013, 10:44 AM
If I were doing it over again, which I am not, I would go with presses that do not hang below the bench for a few reasons. Therefore, I'd go with the CH4D press you listed.

jmort
01-16-2013, 11:18 AM
My goal is to have two CH4Ds - one for .38/.357 and .45 Colt.

seagiant
01-16-2013, 11:39 AM
Hi,
I've probably owned every TYPE of press you can buy. While everything so far mentioned are good loaders,I do not care for turrets as a whole or the 4 station CH4D. On the turrents(except for the LEE) you are flipping a head full of dies,and on the CH,you are manually moving the case from shellholder to shellholder!

The non-progressive I settled on is the PW Met II! It has a swingarm and you just move the arm by the knob and it gets to where you hardly have to look at each move as it has detents and a small spring loaded catch. The primer system is also very nice and works well!

Admittedly they are expensive, but hold their value well. If your only going to have one loader you might want to take a VERY hard look at one!

r1kk1
01-16-2013, 01:38 PM
Hey seagiant,

What's the limitation of the metallic II? Cartridge length, shell holder limitations etc.?

Thanks

r1kk1

BruceB
01-16-2013, 01:43 PM
[QUOTE I do not care for turrents as a whole or the 4 station CH4D. On the turrents(except for the LEE) you are flipping a head full of dies,QUOTE]

My most-used press is a Lyman All-American TURRET (there's NO "N" in the word "turret") and I fail to see the objection to "flipping a head full of dies". This press has served me well for 45 years and is still going strong. It's smooth, efficient, and the production rate is notably higher than single-stage presses.

My bench also has a Dillon 550, a Rockchucker, and a .50BMG Ammomaster.... but the A-A gets the bulk of the use. I have no plans to change.

Rory McCanuck
01-16-2013, 06:08 PM
I have a Co-Ax, and its pretty nice. Dies change out almost as fast as with a turret. Spent primer handling is wonderful.
Ergonomics are different, so it might not feel as natural to some "old dogs" ;)

I've been looking long and hard at the CH4D. It may not do anything better or different, but something about it is very attractive.

seagiant
01-16-2013, 06:17 PM
Hi R1kk1
It should load and take anything that can be loaded with regular 7/8X14 dies! I'm now using it for reloading my battle rifle ammo!

Hi Bruce, I bet we got different taste in women also!

r1kk1
01-16-2013, 07:11 PM
I need to stop by Ponsness Warrens shop in Idaho. They have a 50 bmg dual lever/hydralic press. Do you have 4" of clearance between shellholder and head? I play with some big stuff like 45-110 and larger diameter. Not 50 bmg stuff.

Take care

r1kk1

troyboy
01-16-2013, 08:49 PM
I have the ch4d. It is a solid well built press. The 4 station takes some getting used to. Not the levrage you would think. Best used for pistol. The PW looks like a good one. The AA turret press is ok but not as well built as one would think. The t7 well... might have to give one a try after the pw.

seagiant
01-16-2013, 10:53 PM
Hi r1kk1,
Ok,from the top of the shellholder to the bottom of the die plate(where the die screws in) is 4 3/8 inches!

r1kk1
01-17-2013, 08:51 AM
Thanks seagiant. I have a three station CH press that I'm restoring and it's best use is for pistol. I like and can appreciate the different styles of presses available.

Pm sent.

r1kk1

kd185
01-17-2013, 09:53 AM
there all good choices
YOU need to figure out if you want a turret , or quick change single stage of a mult-istation single stage

Dan Cash
01-17-2013, 10:14 AM
My presses are as follows:
2 550s (large and small primer set up)
1 T7 w/2 turrets for BP cartridges
2 CO-AX for small lot reloading, decap/resize some cartridges and general reloading chores.
Old RockChucker that is brought out of storage and mounted up side down for push through bullet sizing

Each of these presses has its pros and cons but fills specific requirements. are easy to use regarding access to the ram, primer catching etc. The CO-AX presses are not suitable for on press priming though it can be done very precisely. None of them are swaging presses though some do swage on the RockChucker.

Hafast
01-17-2013, 12:05 PM
I took my Rock Chucker from 1978ish to my local machine shop and had them sand blast it ($10). Quick stop at WallyWorld for a couple cans of Rustoleum and Voila! a brand new (looking) press that I have 100% confidence in. Life is good.

gunoil
01-17-2013, 02:34 PM
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k511/putt2012/B10CA69B-A10C-48B2-B024-22ED87E83B31-239-000004CD27F36429.mp4

seagiant
01-17-2013, 02:45 PM
Hi,
Did they ever get the primer issue straightened out with those???

seagiant
01-17-2013, 02:51 PM
I took my Rock Chucker from 1978ish to my local machine shop and had them sand blast it ($10). Quick stop at WallyWorld for a couple cans of Rustoleum and Voila! a brand new (looking) press that I have 100% confidence in. Life is good.
Hi,
You know when you find an old mangy crappy looking Rock Chucker for sale, and the owner won't sale it for less than $100, it did some good work and is ready to do more!!!

square butte
01-17-2013, 07:47 PM
seagiant, where can i find info on your PW Met II press. Who makes it? Where did you get it? Thanks.

Beau Cassidy
01-17-2013, 10:18 PM
This would be an end-all addition to any bench, I think.

http://www.ch4d.com/?com=catalog&view=product&alias=RC000

But this one would by far be a more practical choice....
http://www.ch4d.com/?com=catalog&view=product&alias=033000

march41
01-17-2013, 11:00 PM
I have forster co-ax,love it.its asfast as turret and no shell holders to change.

MT Chambers
01-19-2013, 03:48 AM
I'd def. go with the Co-ax as well, quick die changes and a very solid feel to it.

marlin39a
01-19-2013, 07:20 AM
Redding T7. Been using one for around 8 years. Best investment in my reloading equipment. It is quality all through.

r1kk1
01-19-2013, 10:03 AM
This would be an end-all addition to any bench, I think.

http://www.ch4d.com/?com=catalog&view=product&alias=RC000

But this one would by far be a more practical choice....
http://www.ch4d.com/?com=catalog&view=product&alias=033000

I have the Champion. I also had Dave send me a drilled through ram extension to use Lee bullet sizers as my press bushing is just about as long as the die. I have a waste can under the ram and it collects primers and debris 100%. The ram is solid, drilled through for primer disposal and slightly larger than 1-1/8". The handle is solid too. It is a very ergonomic press. The linkage pins are massive. Weighs in at 30 lbs. I think the press dates back to the 60s but unsure. I may have to call Dave about the history. It is also the press Lee states in his book as the press that is 40x stronger than needed for reloading. CH4D also makes and sells swaging dies too. The press is extremely stout and well made.

Take care

r1kk1

drklynoon
01-19-2013, 10:47 AM
I am looking to upgrade from an old Lyman T-Mag as well. I am upgrading in order to increase production and will be going after a Dillon 550B. However, in your case I would recommend a Lee classic turret. It has a lot of features that can be purchased for future production expansion and it is a solid press for rifle and such. The Redding is nice but the turrets are expensive and it is IMO a horizontal move from your T-mag. The redding of course would be ncer than the Lyman or the LEE but the LEE provides for much more flexibility in operation.

azjohn
01-19-2013, 11:14 AM
square butte it can be found here.
http://www.precisionreloading.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_code=PRE&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PSMETALLICII

seagiant
01-19-2013, 12:23 PM
Hi,
Sorry,I was out of town yesterday. The loader is made by Ponsess Warren in Idaho. You see them now and then on E-bay but they always go for a premium! I've never seen a cheap one! IMO they are the best non-progressive made and like I said I've had about everything! The upper link shows they are a little pricey but as I said hold their value and resell well!

I was a little worried before I got my first one as the lever looks long in the pics and I thought it might get painful reloading pistol ammo and be over kill but when I got my first one (brand new) It actually is so smooth that the supplied handle is great weather loading pistol or rifle!

Wayne Smith
01-19-2013, 05:03 PM
I like older stuff, but if I wanted a progressive and had the bucks that PW would be on my list! I use a Brown Bear 3 station, similar to the CH4D 4 station. I find that, since I loaded on a single for years I still use a batch system and now do two or three things with one swing of the handle rather than just one.

seagiant
01-19-2013, 05:18 PM
Hi,
Well,I had a Dillion 550B and never could warm up to it! It always had primer issues and I have heard this from other owners! Some/most owners think it does everything but the dishes in the morning! I actually went back to Dillon's first press to find one I like and although a progressive I enjoy using it as a single stage also!

LUBEDUDE
01-19-2013, 05:44 PM
Hey SG, you got that ol'girl looking good!

seagiant
01-20-2013, 12:17 PM
Hey SG, you got that ol'girl looking good!

Hi Lube,
Yea she cleaned up pretty good! Sort of like some girl friends I had in the 70's! I know the OP was talking single stage loaders,but thought I would mention the Dillion 300 and 450's as they can be run single stage as the primer and powder are all manual! The RL-300's are hard to find but the 450's are available at a decent price still.

walltube
01-20-2013, 01:18 PM
There's a similar thread now underway that may interest you. Much pro-con discussion per your questions.

Off topic I know, but I cannot help but ask, what route is the most scenic when visiting the Teays River Valley? [smilie=l:

Best regards,
Wt.

RCE1
01-20-2013, 01:49 PM
I've had a PW Metallic II for many years. Although really well made and fairly well designed, the priming system is, well, a bit of a pain. I have found that tends to be the weak link of almost all presses, if you prime on press. Just never really liked having to charge primer tubes in general. I have ended up with the Lee CC Turret and am pretty happy with it, especially since instead of a powder measure, I just put a funnel in that station. This allows me to use my Chargemaster to throw the charges. I've never liked the idea of mounting the powder measure on the rotating turret because I feel like the movement of the press is detrimental to accurate throws. I don't even keep the measure on the same table any more, but on its own table within easy reacy. YMMV, but this is what has worked for me, and I load everything from .17Ackley Hornet to .45/90

1bluehorse
01-20-2013, 04:11 PM
Well for overall quality and definatly the "coolness factor" the leader is the PW Metallic press. Ponsness Warren equipment is quality thru and thru...spendy, but quality..for a long time I've coveted the CH4D Champion press, but I'm still getting along fine with my old Pacific Multi-Power for single stage work...but still, maybe one of these days...best turret press, Lee Classic....may not weigh as much as others or have the status, but it's just a better system...I know nothing of the C0-AX, I've seen them on display and "played" with a couple, I'm sure they are a good press just nothing that interested me. Progressive presses....I don't see where a person could really go wrong with Dillon, Hornady, or RCBS (in no particular order) that would be a tough decision to make I would think..I personally lean towards the Hornady and only because I like the "solid" die head, but I also prefer the RCBS priming system, but the Dillon 650 (the 550 does not interest me a bit with the 4 stations and manual index) is like the 30-06', what all others are compared to..what's my opinion worth you ask, well I still use a couple old Ammomasters, and think they're about as good as it gets with the capabilites they have, so there ya go, probably not worth the time it took you to read this....good luck on your choice(s) :popcorn:

seagiant
01-20-2013, 06:06 PM
Hi.
Well...admittedly my PW MetII was a little finicky when I first got it with the primers. It's sort of hard to explain how it works as I have never seen a set up like it on another loader. What it does is it has a bushing or holder next to the shellplate on the swing arm. This will hold 3 primers at a time and is fed from a spring loaded primer tube mounted to the left on the die plate. The primers load fine to the bushing/holder but sometimes sticks and does not want to drop when you swing over to feed the primer cup. I fixed this by chucking the bushing in my lathe and taking some crocus cloth polished the edges of the hole, top and bottom on the inside of the bushing. Then fine tuned the height of my primer cup/rod and all was well!

Tamitch
01-25-2013, 07:42 PM
Years ago I had a RCBS RC and used it for several years then C&H came out their 3 or 4 station pistol champ and I sold the green machine. Now I wish I had either of the two back. My point I'm looking for a reasonably price press to get stated with again.

1bluehorse
01-26-2013, 01:22 PM
Best answer....single stage, Lee Classic Cast, breechlock or regular, your choice..turret press for a little more production (especially for pistol but will also work fine for rifle up to at least 30-06) would be the Lee Classic Turret..they are the best value on the market...before the present craziness started you could get either one for around 100 bucks...that's pretty hard to beat.

o6Patient
01-27-2013, 08:38 AM
I done think the thread has been hijacked in a couple of spots, but getting back
to the original premise of your thread; given the criteria you laid out at the beginning
one would be hard pressed to beat the basic O press for ease of use and simplicity.
My favorite is the RC and have used one for 30 years but if you swing the budget from
the Lee classic O press up through the CH champion at twice the price, they'll all do
what you need done very nicely with a minimum of fanfare.
-best regards

WyrTwister
01-28-2013, 09:36 AM
I have an old Lyman T-Mag that I have neglected (too much moisture over winters in the garage in Ohio and the shed in Mississippi) -- it still works but it's ugly, and I am bored with it anyway after 25 years (gotta make sure my wife doesn't read this!)

I am debating between a Redding T7, a Forster Co-Ax, and a CH4D 444H press. I have never liked the idea of going progressive and don't load enough to really need it -- 200 or 300 rounds in a session is about as much as I do.

I load mostly 357, with some 444 Marlin, and expect to add 45 ACP soon.

I'm not in a big rush, but I have my AARP card now and I'd like for this next press to be the last one.

I'd like to hear from the folks who have one or more of these presses and really like them; and any of the little quirks that may annoy you about any of them.

Thanks.

Do not have any of those presses . If you want to speed up production , but not go to a progressive , consider the Lee cast iron turret press .

God bless
Wyr

mikeyd23
01-28-2013, 09:18 PM
I still use my Lee Challenger single stage, but then again I don't know any better!!

pmeisel
01-28-2013, 10:36 PM
Been out of town, just checking back! Thanks to all.... food for thought. Not allowed to spend the money now until after daughter's wedding so I can think on it for awhile....