PDA

View Full Version : Can I chronograph shotgun loads?

historicfirearms
01-15-2013, 05:59 PM
I'm just getting into reloading shotgun but have been reloading metallic cartridges for about 20 years. I plan on starting with some 12 ga buckshot loads. I was wondering if I will be able to shoot these through my chrony? How about birdshot loads? Will the chronograph give me reliable data? How far away do you shoot and not risk blowing the chronograph to pieces? Sorry for the dumb questions but I thought I better ask before I break something.

Doc65
01-15-2013, 06:01 PM
Yes you can, at the range you would be shooting over the chrono the shot will still be in the wad, and it trips the sky screen sensors just fine. I did a fair amount if work over my chrony when I was developing loads for trap shooting.

Blammer
01-15-2013, 07:11 PM
I would take off the sky screens and the rods and just shoot over the top of the chrony. Just in case....

swheeler
01-15-2013, 10:38 PM
Yes you can, I have done many loads of shot and slugs both.

oldandslow
01-16-2013, 04:38 AM
hf, 1//16/13

I chrono my 12 gauge slugs and have only come across one problem. I had no problem clearing the sensors with the slug but forgot about the wad which smacked my LED screen and cracked it- so back to the factory for a new screen. Now I put a short 2 x4 in front of the screen when doing shotgun loads.

And don't worry about shooting your chrono- it will probably happen eventually. I'm almost a chrono-ace. I've shot three -Two more to go. First one was on purpose after messing with it for five years to get it to work (a Pact). It would only work before sunrise or after sunset and then only occasionally. The second was with the above mentioned shotgun wad. The last was with a scoped rifle- I thought I had enough clearance but with the scope sitting quite high one of my 270 Winchester bullets grooved the metal on the top of both sensors. It still works though. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow

Newtire
04-11-2016, 11:09 AM
Yes you can, at the range you would be shooting over the chrono the shot will still be in the wad, and it trips the sky screen sensors just fine. I did a fair amount if work over my chrony when I was developing loads for trap shooting.Been wanting to do that and been wondering about what range to place the chrono at. Anyone tell me how many feet away.? Plan on trying out some loads using Black MZ in a front stuffer. Will use a card over powder and a charge of shot in an unslit cup with a thin overshot card.

Trying for the least number of holes in my chrono(least=0 or less). Will not use screens and do it on a cloudy day or before sun is up.

Any ideas from someone who's actually done it?

Geezer in NH
04-16-2016, 03:54 PM
Yes but trust me make a deflector from steel slanted up in front of the unit. Pain to make but saves the unit from shot, wads, and most loads that you will miss where they should have gone.

elvas
04-17-2016, 03:00 AM
I usually use the ProChrono Digital set at 1.5m (about 5 feet) with skyscreens removed. The barrel is 15-20 inches above the chronograph. After many thousand firings no accidents so far.

Bob in St. Louis
04-20-2016, 12:17 PM
Yea... I think I need one of these.

John Boy
04-20-2016, 02:02 PM
Might want to consider one of these chronographs that attach to the barrels and don't have to be set up on a tripod... http://ads.midwayusa.com/s?targetlocation=%3FNp%3D2%26Nrpp%3D20%26Ns%3Dp_me tric_sales_velocity|1%26Ntpc%3D1%26Ntpr%3D1%26Ntx% 3Dmode%2Bmatchallpartial%26N%3D%2B4294959391&cm_mmc=ps_google-_-google-_-ST_Range_Supplies_Equipment_Alpha_G-_-magnetospeed

Bob in St. Louis
04-20-2016, 03:25 PM
That's pretty cool. I found a video:
https://youtu.be/FdXLyD3UpA0

Newtire
04-29-2016, 08:02 AM
I would take off the sky screens and the rods and just shoot over the top of the chrony. Just in case....That's the way I was thinking blammer. Might get a narrow plate of window glass to bungee over the top of the screens, cover the edges of the glass with a border of fuel line so as to protect the real screens from residue and make it easy to clean. Alot of good ideas brewing here on this site as usual & I thank you all.