PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 94AE

BCall
01-15-2013, 05:18 PM
I have a friend who has loaned me his Winchester 94AE in 7-30 Waters. In truth, he is trying to get me to buy it, and although I have loaded the 7-30 for a Contender for some time now, I have no real interest in one in a levergun. The rifle is not in great shape, but it has been shot little and functions fine.

First thing I did was remove the see through scope mounts he had on it. I have been shooting a few cast loads through it using the 7mm soup can mold from Midsouth. And it shoots OK. I now have a set of Millet mounts and some rings and have mounted a 2.5x scope to it. Groups under 2" at 50 are easily attainable. I'm confident more load workup could do that at 100.

However, I told my friend that if I wasn't going to buy it, I would work up a load for it for him and load a couple of boxes of ammo for it so he has some on hand. He will not shoot cast boolits. This is a guy who thinks he needs a 300 Weatherby when he goes hunting for deer. Moderate velocity cast boolit loads are not an option for him. Doubtful he would use it at all, but I would at least like to give him something he might use, he is a pretty good friend after all.

In looking for jacketed bullets though, it appears that Hornady and Nosler have discontinued their FN bullets for the 7-30. Sierra doesn't list them either. Speer lists a 130gr one, but I cannot locate any. Does anyone know of a viable option that will work in the tube magazine without making it a 2 shot gun? If it was mine, I'd load spitzers, one in the chamber and 1 in the mag, but my friend won't be happy with that either. Should I just bump a FN on some spitzers maybe?

If I were to buy it, it would just be for a rebarrel. As a 22 lover, I noticed that 4D reamer rentals has a reamer for a .224 version of the 22 Savage hi Power. How would this work as a rebarrel would you think? Any easier or better than a 219 Zipper? Thanks for any advice, Billy

runfiverun
01-15-2013, 09:22 PM
they haven't made f/n bullets for the 7-30 for years.
i sold most of what i had to people here and there.
i still have a couple boxes of bullets,brass, and dies waiting for the rifle to pop up someday.
you might find some through W.T.B adds.

MT Gianni
01-15-2013, 09:47 PM
I would rethink not buying it and cry if it was rebarreled. You should be able to resell it if your contender is doing it for you noe as there was a bit of collector interest in the 7x30.

BCall
01-15-2013, 11:19 PM
I would rethink not buying it and cry if it was rebarreled. You should be able to resell it if your contender is doing it for you noe as there was a bit of collector interest in the 7x30.

Even a 20" straight grip version with a rust freckled receiver a couple of small pits and a dinged up stock? I could understand an excellent condition rifle version with pistol grip, but I can't imagine this one would be worth any more than a like condition 30-30, and probably less than a nicely refinished and rebarreled one in 219 zipper.

Blammer
01-16-2013, 08:38 PM
I've been wanting a levergun in 7-30 waters for a LONG TIME. If I were you I'd buy it and not rebarrel it. (PM me if you are going to let it go an for how much)

Nosler makes or made some flat nose bullets for it that will work fine, and a 7mm Hunter mould from NOE will be just DANDY in it with full house loads I'm sure. I use this cast boolit in my 7-30 waters TC barrel and it loves them.

TXGunNut
01-17-2013, 12:02 AM
Other than the cosmetic issues it sounds like something I'd do if I was already into the 7-30. A new mould and a little TLC could change your mind....if not sell it to Blammer or rebarrel it.

nekshot
01-17-2013, 07:57 PM
Blammer I feel your pain! I have been watching this thread to see how it goes and all I can say is a 7-30 lever is a desire but will not happen in my situation. I might build a single shot for that caliber (really I am planning to do that ) this summer.

ammohead
01-19-2013, 10:29 PM
I have a 24" copy and it has accounted for quite a few mule deer. Not a slouch by anyone's standards.