PDA

View Full Version : Pedersoli rolling block experience and opinion

GARYC
01-15-2013, 02:07 PM
I HAVE THE ACTION ONLY OF A #5 REMINGTON RB. I HAD PLANNED ON HAVING A BARREL INSTALLED IN 40-65 CAL. HOWEVER, I AM 66 YEARS OLD,NEVER THE EPITOME OF PATIENCE AND HATE TO WAIT THE 6 MONTHS OR SO I HAVE BEEN TOLD BY SEVERAL, TO GET A BARREL INSTALLED! I CAN DO THE STOCK WORK AND SOME OF THE METAL WORK MYSELF, BUT MORE TIME!

SO, I HAVE STARTED LOOKING FOR A USED PEDERSOLI IN 40-65. IN THE MEAN TIME, I WOULD APPRECIATE ANYONE'S THOUGHTS, PERSONAL EXPERIENCE OR JUST OPINION ON PEDERSOLI, CONCERNING QUALITY OF OLDER vs NEWER ROLLING BLOCKS. DID QUALITY SIGNIFICANTLY IMPROVE AFTER A CERTAIN PERIOD? I HAVE MY MIND MADE UP ON 40-65 CALIBER. I WILL PROBABLY NEVER HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO SHOOT AT DISTANCES OVER 300 YDS.

THANKS IN ADVANCE TO ANYONE WILLING TO COMMENT.

GARY

john hayslip
01-15-2013, 03:10 PM
I have a nice 40-65 made up on a 7mm RB, ammo, brass, loading dies for sale through Bobby Shilo at 832-367-4029. I put a butt pad on it and it has a set of set triggers by David Higginbottom, now deceased, of Lone Star Arms. If you don't have experience with the cartridge and you make them from 45-70 cases you'll have to trim the resulting case back a few thousandths in order to get them to chamber as the 45-70 cases lengthen when you reduce the caliber. I think there is also a SAECO mold in 40 cal with it or will include it in the package if Bobby doesn't have it. I gunsmith friend of mine, now also deceased, did the work- if I remember correctly it has a Douglas barrel.

leadman
01-16-2013, 01:08 PM
I have a Pedersoli RB in 40-65, not for sale, very accurate and easy to get to shoot well. Mine is the copy of the Creedmoor rifle. I did change the rear sight as the original was hard to make accurate elevation changes with. The windage would change when you changed the elevation.

Kraschenbirn
01-17-2013, 12:12 PM
After putting over a thousand rounds (give or take a few) through my Pedersoli .45-70 RB last year, I can't actually think of a single complaint worth mention. Factory fit and finish - both metal and wood - are excellent and, other than a broken firing pin...not terribly uncommon with RBs or so I've been told...no mechanical problems at all. Some here have criticized the construction of the 'basic-model' Pedersoli rear sight...repeatability of settings, 'sloppiness' of adjustment, etc...but I can't comment because I bought mine (used) without a rear sight and, immediately, installed a Lee Shaver Long-Range that I'm also quite pleased with.

Target was shot off the bench at 300M and group goes approx. 5 3/4" x 4".

Bill

GARYC
01-17-2013, 12:47 PM
EXCELLENT FEEDBACK BILL! Thank you very much. Just the kind of constructive info I was hoping for! Looks like you got your "Baby" dialed in!

Gary

DEDHEAD
07-10-2014, 04:24 AM
Did you get the pedersoli 40-65 and if so what is your impression by now? I'm looking at one as we speak and would really appreciate your thoughts.
Steve

Remmy4477
07-12-2014, 11:11 PM
Years ago I had a pedersoli RB buffalo rifle, I believe it was an early production one. Nice rifle other than weighting 15 pounds and had a 26 inch barrel. Only thing I did not like about it other than the weight was the fact the action was a bit bigger (wider) than an original #1 RB. Never punched paper with it, but it did kill a lot of milk jugs full of water out to 300 yards and one prairie dog at 20 yards!