PDA

View Full Version : First round flyer

chboats
01-15-2013, 12:27 PM
I have a Rem 541T that I use for ground squirrels. The problem is that the first round from a cold barrel (not clean) can be 1 to 2 inches out of the group. If the first round landed in the same place each time I could deal with that. Most of the time it is low but it could be any where. I bedded the first 2"of the barrel hopping that would help but it didn't. I have tried different ammo with the same results. Any ideas on how to correct this short of re-barreling?

Carl

tomme boy
01-15-2013, 02:15 PM
Most 22 rimfire suffers from this. If you figure it out let me know as I have 2 of them that do it. One that does not do it.

NSB
01-15-2013, 03:18 PM
I think if you try different brands of ammo you'll see that some do this more than others. The lubricant on 22 shells ranges from very sticky wax to what smells like outboard motor oil (Ely comes to mine here). The lubricant from the last shooting session changes its viscosity when left in the barrel and is "thicker" for the first shot to some extent. When using ammo such as Ely this is less apparent since the viscosity is thinner to begin with. That's been my observation for many years of shooting rimfires and hundreds of thousands of rounds fired. Try it and see for yourself.

kweidner
01-15-2013, 05:55 PM
I agree with nsb. what brands have you tried? Wolf match does not do it in any of mine. Might try cleaning very well before changing ammo. The different lubes in a bore do wierd things. When I was shooting matches this was critical to success at least for me. I only have two kinds of rimfire anymore Eley and Wolf MT. Course for ground squirells these probably aren't what your looking for.

flounderman
01-15-2013, 10:43 PM
You will get it with whatever you use. I had a 40x and I put the first few shots into the backstop before I put any on paper. usually the first few was out but if it shot to point of aim to start with, it would shift when it warmed up. we had a guy with a 52D would bet on a 10 first shot. every rifle is different.

o6Patient
01-16-2013, 12:37 PM
I have found w/ my 541 that a good cleaning generally brings it back into line.
AS said above the sticky waxy stuff is the culprit in my humble experience.

chboats
01-16-2013, 02:03 PM
If I was just shooting paper it would not be a problem, dump 2 or 3 rounds into the back stop and then move to the paper. But I use it for squirrels. If I let is set for only 5 to 10 minutes the first round is a flyer. I have not tested with any of the high velocity because the accuracy is not there. I have tried most of the different target/standard velocity ammunition with similar results. I guess it's back to the range for more testing. I may have to settle for a little less accuracy to get that first shot where it belongs.

I was hopping for some magic fix.

Thanks

Carl

march41
01-17-2013, 06:34 PM
I had that problem with my kimber,cleaned with kroll,then j-b,hoppies,then oil and dry tight patch this tamed the problem it stillshoots on after 250 rds with out cleaning.

chboats
01-17-2013, 08:25 PM
march41 - I'll have to give it a try. I have cleaned it thoroughly with Ed'd red and Hoppies but not JB.

Thanks
Carl