PDA

View Full Version : Ammo Storage

KCSO
07-10-2007, 03:00 PM
Every so often we see questions about how long will ammo last and how do i need to store my ammo. For what it is worth...

Today we decommissioned a car that had been in use since 2002. In removing the duty gear boxes and equipment we found a box of 45acp ammo that had been reloaded in 2001 and had fallen into a wheel well and was covered with oil that dripped down from a leaking can of 10W30. Now I had reloaded this ammo for practice and labled it in 2001 and it was 230 TC cast bullets in once fired cases W/W primers and 6.0 of Unique. The primers were NOT sealed and no special steps were made in reloading to weather porrof the ammo. The wheel well had not been opened since 2004 sot the shells sat soaking in oil for at least 3 years.

I pulled out 47 rounds that looked like they would still chamber and threw away three that were dented. I dried the rounds off with a paper towell and fed them into my 1911. 46 fired first hammer fall and one round took two hits. Shooting offhand from 7 to 25 yards on the Nebraska Qualification target all rounds went into an 8" group. Only one round failed to feed and it, on close examination, had a burr on the case mouth and was slightly ovaled. Tempretures in the trunk would have run from 130 degrees in the summer to -15 in the winter. If you add the oil soaking for at least 2 years and that is amazing.

SharpsShooter
07-10-2007, 05:49 PM
Wow! That is a heck of a torture test for ammo. With the combination of temp swings, oil and age it is a small wonder that any of it worked at all.

SS

melw
07-10-2007, 09:52 PM
I had a 20+ year lapse in my shooting and reloading. I have been back doing it for about 9 months now.
I finished shooting up some .45 ACP that was loaded in the 1980s. around Dec. 2006. They had been stored in a gallon paint can and that has been in various closets, garages and a unheated tin shed.
Out if the hundreds of rounds in that can I had two or three failure to feeds. Not one failure to fire. This was with 200gn SWC lead boolet in once fired mil surplus brass. Plane jane CCI primers and Unique powder. I did nothing to seal them other than close the paint can.
Reloads can last a long time.
Mel W.

armoredman
07-11-2007, 10:46 AM
Now that's cool! Thanks for sharing!

johnp
07-11-2007, 11:31 AM
Back about 25 years ago I made a belt buckle that was to look like the end of a cylinder full of .357s. I soaked the primers in oil for about two weeks them pressed them into the cut off cases. I had dropped 10 primers in the oil and tested a few of them to make certain they were dead.
Well fast forward about 22 years and I come across that old belt buckle that was broken. Well for grins and giggles I pop out the casings and put them in the ole ruger and proceed to pop off 4 of the 6 "dead" primers. Evidently over time the oil will evaporate and the primers will become "alive" again. At least 4 our of 6 will but your mileage may vary.

Four Fingers of Death
07-11-2007, 07:30 PM
I think the only way to do the belt thing properly would be to boil in water and dissolve the primer charge. Mick.

johnp
07-11-2007, 09:16 PM
I think the only way to do the belt thing properly would be to boil in water and dissolve the primer charge. Mick.

I will second that motion.:drinks: