PDA

View Full Version : spanish reformado

bigted
01-15-2013, 01:09 AM
lookin at a roller in the reformado configuration. from everything i have found it sounds like a fun experience but i would like to reap the benefits of the general knowledge here for as much as i can get on this un-known to me cartridge and rifle.

it says '43' reformado but dosnt sound as if it is 43 cal...correct?

what i find is a .454 calibre...correct?

the case is just longer then 45-70 ...correct?

only black powder...correct?

looks and sound similiar to a 45-70 but the rim and body are enough different in size that a 45-70 ream would not clean it up ...correct?

any and all info would be very welcome. thanks...[smilie=1:...[smilie=1:...[smilie=1:

curator
01-15-2013, 09:40 PM
BigTed,

Just about anything goes with the 11.5X57R "Reformado" rolling block rifles. To begin with Remington's barrel quality control was pretty lax by modern standards. Bore (groove) diameters for their .43 Spanish rollers range from .437 to .449. Remington had a very similar .44-77 cartridge-rifle which it marketed to big game (Buffalo) hunters and that had an advertised .445 bullet. Apparently barrels were made on various machines and many of the larger .44-77 barrels were used for rifles made for Argentina and other Spanish countries using the .43 Spanish cartridge (11.15X58R). The Spanish arsenal at Oviedo built Rollers under Remington's patent and at some point rechambered many of these .43 Spanish rifles to the "reformed" Reformado configuration. While original Reformado cartridges are loaded with a .445 diameter jacketed bullet you need to slug your bore and make a chamber cast before loading anything. Check out Buffalo Arms for Reformado brass (after chamber cast reveals the dimensions of your chamber) Supposedly the guns rechambered were those with the over-size bores but Spanish governments did not have to explain their decisions or policies so no data is available.
If your chamber diameter necessitates shooting bullets that art smaller than groove diameter, black powder will perform the best. If you can chamber bullets more than .002" over groove diameter and the action is in good condition, smokeless powder loads in the "trapdoor Springfield" range will probably shoot fine. I load my .43 Spanish roller with low-pressure smokeless loads and get good accuracy and performance.

bigted
01-16-2013, 12:00 AM
very cool...thankyou for the info!! dont know if i will pick up this rifle but it is great to reap some info about it on the 'just in case'.